BANGKOK 19 February 2019 08:18
SamSanuk

Goodbye 20 Baht Store! (Kad Suen Kaew)

Sad to saunter by one of my favorite stores in Kad Suen Kaew Mall...and it is no longer there.

The 20 Baht Store was marvelous for plates, glasses, silverware, scissors, assorted kitchen wares...bought a baseball cap there...along with some earbuds for my phone. Got a Halloween mask (good one! scared the cleaning lady!) Nice Tupperware-like stuff. Take a risk, only out 20 baht.

Alas, all good things come to an end. For whatever reason, they left, seemingly overnight.  Someone told me to new place, farther away in Old City. Not sure where. Not sure why. Oh, well.

How long was that store in Kad Suan Kaew? I only shopped there for a month and then it just closed and disappeared.  Know of any other 20 baht shops nearby?

25 minutes ago, SiamAndy said:

How long was that store in Kad Suan Kaew? I only shopped there for a month and then it just closed and disappeared.  Know of any other 20 baht shops nearby?

Hard to say. Stumbled upon it maybe 6-8 months ago, tucked away back on the 2nd floor. Always looked busy. 

When I bought my earbuds, one fellow said “30 Baht!” The girl next to him said “No, 20 Baht!” LOL. 

Unfortunately don’t know of any others in the neighborhood. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/11/2018 at 3:23 PM, SamSanuk said:

Hard to say. Stumbled upon it maybe 6-8 months ago, tucked away back on the 2nd floor. Always looked busy. 

Kad Suan Gaoew never looks busy when I am in there. Frankly it looks sad. I wonder how much longer it can hang on before they shutter it.

Edited by LomSak27

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 3:23 PM, SamSanuk said:

When I bought my earbuds, one fellow said “30 Baht!” The girl next to him said “No, 20 Baht!” LOL. 

Unfortunately don’t know of any others in the neighborhood. 

I bought earbuds there as well, still had the Tesco label on them. I took them to the checkout, young woman said 20 baht, asked her to wait a moment, bought three more pairs. I'm fixed for a while. My wife is a gardener so she was always buying plastic pots to start plants. I liked it, but didn't expect top quality goods.

We got a 10 baht store by us in khon Kaen and the stuff is miles better than the 20 baht. Lot of stationary items and Tupperware.

On 12/14/2018 at 3:25 PM, LomSak27 said:

Kad Suan Gaoew never looks busy when I am in there. Frankly it looks sad. I wonder how much longer it can hang on before they shutter it.

It won't be shuttered. It actually does quite well.

• Like 1

Just now, elektrified said:

It won't be shuttered. It actually does quite well.

I will be surprised,  and happy, if Kad Suan G and Promenada are around in two years time.

KSK does well, especially on the week-ends.  Why else would they have put money into redoing the basement?  There is talk of redoing the upper floors, even trying to get Bangkok Bank to move to an upper level since it's a big draw in the mall.

On the second floor, Black Canyon Coffee, Swensen's and the pizza restaurant next to Swensen's do well, even during the week and there's a small hot pot restaurant next to Black Canyon coffee that is always packed with young Thai people, often with people waiting.  

But the back part of the second floor and the third floor definitely do seem to be under utilized.

18 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

I will be surprised,  and happy, if Kad Suan G and Promenada are around in two years time.

No guarantee on Promenada, but KSK 100%.

• Like 2

If they chose to stick with 20 baht (about $1 more or less in other currencies), rising costs of inventory from suppliers would eat away at their profit margin.

But they could have done like other "dollar stores" and modified their business plan and marketing slightly so that they could stock and offer two and three dollar items as well.

This has proven very successful in other similar stores (and in other countries).

I agree, these stores are great for "some" items. I'm a regular.

There's a 20 baht store adjacent to Tesco's car park on the Hang Dong road.  It's by the entrance at the opposite end to Decathalon.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ravi98008 said:

A new 20 Bhat store opened in the same spot in KSK one week ago on 2nd floor 

Bugger, I was in ksk today and didn’t know that. Need 3 x 1l airtight containers.