red christmas plant poinsettia

I think this is a garbled account of the fact that Poinsettias need short days in order to develop as shown in your foto. It won't die but won't flower next year unless you artificially hide it from light for a few hours a day.

New hybrids aren't so fussy about day length.

18 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Just passed a place in Bang Saray, just before the 332 junction with Suk road, left hand side.  Loads of them. 

Thanks, saw them on both sides of Suk at that intersection but they were very small plants, here is what I found in Ban Chang for 100 THB per plant:

1069178431_xmasflowers.PNG.e616b7acd7212a279bac3bddb6e411e9.PNG

If you are out looking they may not be able to be seen from the road since most vendors keep them in the shade at the back of their shops 

1 hour ago, Langsuan Man said:

Thanks, saw them on both sides of Suk at that intersection but they were very small plants, here is what I found in Ban Chang for 100 THB per plant:

1069178431_xmasflowers.PNG.e616b7acd7212a279bac3bddb6e411e9.PNG

If you are out looking they may not be able to be seen from the road since most vendors keep them in the shade at the back of their shops 

Getting mine this weekend.  In UK can get other colours,  but I have only seen red here? 

• 3 weeks later...

When I moved into my house there was a large, 'straggly' Poinsettia bush in the garden that had obviously been there for a number of years.

It produced a few red 'flowers' every year, but I pretty much ignored it as it was so straggly.  I'd forgotten about it until reading this thread, and so have only just noticed that it must have died as it has disappeared.  Not suprising, as it had VERY large trees all around it.

If you want to grown them to a small tree planted in your garden for any length of time, I am afraid you will have to live up on a mountain... probably in the North, where the temperatures are cooler.  

To get the red leaves you have to cover the top of the plant with dark plastic or other material, in the growing season, to block out the sun.. which makes the plant grow the red leaves.

I hate these plants..... because when I was a teenager I worked at a garden center where we had to take care of hundreds of them.  Every day it was my job to take the lot outside for display for sale, then get each one back inside into the hot house at the end of the day.  I got really sick of the sight of these plants lol. 

Archived