Video: Horrific footage shows two men plummet to their deaths after granny in Benz collision

webfact

6 hours ago, wgdanson said:

But the reflex test is more than one needs in UK to re-new DL at 70. You just fill in a form and say that you are fit  and well, no ailments, and that you can read a number plate at 25 yards (or is it meters?)

but  you  WILL be held  accountable in  the UK

2 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Has not to do with age, but the ability to drive competently and seeing this video paying attention to road conditions...

she drove straight into them...

I does have to do with age to a certain extent. Reaction times are longer, eyesight and hearing not quite as good as it was, and generally being totally alert diminishes as one gets older. 

2 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Has not to do with age, but the ability to drive competently and seeing this video paying attention to road conditions...

she drove straight into them...

She didn't actually drive 'straight' into them.....

Other footage from the dash-cam inside her car shows her maintaining good position at a steady speed in the nearside lane for some considerable time\distance prior to the crash.

It's only in the final few metres \seconds before the impact that her car clearly begins to drift over onto the hard shoulder. No indication of any attempt to brake either.

So maybe let's not be too quick to be judge, jury and executioner, could have been a medical incident, tyre deflation - or she could have been distracted by phone etc.

The only thing I can conclude with any confidence from the footage available, is that Benz build quality and safety is pretty good for her to have survived hitting a fairly immovable stationary truck at what looks to be around 80kmph.

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

I does have to do with age to a certain extent. Reaction times are longer, eyesight and hearing not quite as good as it was, and generally being totally alert diminishes as one gets older. 

Yeah, and young drivers think they are bulletproof and driving is like a video game.

For sure she was busy with something ( Phone ) and not with driving the car. seconds before you she the car already going to the left side off the road before the impact.  It look like she ( benz driver) Want to hit the Van? not even turn away from the car, no breaking?   

Lets hope Thai Law do something with this Murdermama behind the wheel off A car..

Sad for the family off the victims, a other child who lost one off ther parents.

10 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Either playing with phone, asleep or p...sed. Check her phone record and do a blood test.

I watched a Russian fail the depth perception test today... a Thai (to my shock) did a few moments later.

I'm no hero though, needed two tries myself. 

6 minutes ago, Aviatorhi said:

I watched a Russian fail the depth perception test today... a Thai (to my shock) did a few moments later.

I'm no hero though, needed two tries myself. 

Don't worry Sammy Davis Junior, Ry Cooder, Gabrielle, Peter Falk and Moshe Dayan  would not pass that test either.

Grannys behind the wheels?  The Saudis solved this problem ages ago.  We should look more to these oldest peoples of the earth, be humble and learn.  Fake news? Piece of cake.  Neighbours keeping you awake at night?  O.K. got a bit off topic there, ban alcohol!

17 hours ago, kotsak said:

When I go to renew my 5 year old driving license, I usually see elderly people trying to take the reflex test and failing miserably. I wouldn't entrust them a lawn mower but well, TIT.

Well at least at my 60 plus years I can construct a sentence. Read what you wrote.. about your 5 year old driving licence 5555. Think much? Age can be a factor..however I'll put my money on age versus stupidity and careless drivers any day. 

22 hours ago, webfact said:

Contrary to previous reports Thai Rath said that Surang has not yet been formally charged. 

Her relatives have promised to fully help the families of the deceased. 

Pay off. Says it all. Got money you walk. Interested to see what will happen but I think we may not hear much more of this one.????

18 hours ago, Searat7 said:

Originally I thought she was driving in the Breakdown Lane but that was not the case although she was probably overlapping that lane because of careless driving.  The rear of the truck was sticking out into driving lane and it does not appear that it was using flashers. I am not defending the car driver but there are several factors to consider

The emergency lane is very narrow,and the men came from inside.so it may be away from the barrier so they could gain access,yes no hazard flashers working,was the battery dead ? does anyone know why the van broke down or did they just stop to sort the load.

4 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

What were the guys doing to end up over the bridge? 

They were the guys standing in front of their broke down delivery pickup when the 70 year old granny rear ended their broke down pickup in her black Benz:

Deliverymen Fall To Death After Speeding Benz Plows Into Truck

Elderly Benz driver charged for fatal expressway wreck

On 12/13/2018 at 9:03 AM, wgdanson said:

Either playing with phone, asleep or p...sed. Check her phone record and do a blood test.

Well looking at the recording from her car cam seems to rule out pissed ... she was driving the same distance from the lane markings for some considerable distance.

Deviated left just before the crash ... so either ill, distracted or car malfunction ...it would seem ...

I have read some driving studies that show that the average person is only looking and focused about 15 feet in front of their car.  They literally follow the the car in front of them and they are not looking ahead, over or around the cars in front of them.  They are not looking ahead.  

Archived