BANGKOK 23 January 2019 22:54
webfact

Thailand: Islamic Leader to Increase Age for Muslims to Marry

Thailand: Islamic Leader to Increase Age for Muslims to Marry

Mariyam Ahmad 
Pattani, Thailand

Thailand’s top Muslim leader is expected to raise the minimum age of marriage without parental consent from 15 to 17 – effective Friday – following an international outcry over the wedding of an 11-year-old girl in June, officials said Wednesday.

Wisoot Binlatah, director of the southern office of the Sheikhul Islam, the body that oversees Islamic matters in predominantly Buddhist Thailand, said its top leader, Aziz Phitakkumpon, had endorsed the Islamic Committee of Thailand’s call to increase the minimum age for Muslims to marry.

“Sheikhul Islam signed the Regulations of the Central Islamic Council of Thailand regarding person(s) under the age of 17 in 2018 and officials will announce nationwide at every mosque to all religious leaders to acknowledge and put in use effective Dec. 14,” Wisoot told BenarNews.

Full story: https://www.benarnews.org/english/news/thai/marriage-change-12122018164803.html

-- Benar News 2018-12-13

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Odysseus123 said:

Really..

You apply this yardstick to 65 year old Caucasian males marrying 18 year old Thai's?

I bet you don't.

Good start for the Muslim cleric.

Wow ,asked the question, then answered it ''all by yourself''...I hope you don't do that in public ''out loud''....have a good one

Edited by mok199
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

So if a 9-year old agrees, you're OK with that.

No the discussion has already moved on from the age limit where as far as know everybody is in agreement, what I was replying to was the issue was arranged marriage and I was trying to point out there is a difference between arranged and forced marriages.