Woman on charity bike ride catapulted into back of pick-up

webfact

Woman on charity bike ride catapulted into back of pick-up

7pm.jpg

Sanook reported on the case of a female cyclist who was hit from the rear by a pick-up truck as she cycled towards Nakhon Pathom in the Ratchaburi area. 

Piyanuch was catapulted into the air and landed in the back of the pick-up. 

Her bicycle was dragged along the road under the pick-up. 

Driver Phongthep said he fell asleep at the wheel and has been charged with negligent driving. 

Realizing what he had done he was successful along with rescue personnel in restoring the woman's pulse after conducting CPR for seven minutes. 

She was rushed to Nakhon Pathom Hospital.

The victim's husband Theeranan said he was in shock. His wife was a healthy woman who was full of life.

She was on a charity ride to raise money for a hospital in Had Yai in Thailand's south. The hospital is helping with expenses. 

But it is not looking good for the cyclist - Theeranan was told she was in a critical condition and he was advised to prepare for the worst. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-12-13

18 minutes ago, mok199 said:

Aparently thais need 12 - 16 hours of sleep a day,that leaves just 8 hours of awake time ,add in breakfast lunch, a snack, dinner and a KIP.....sadly,many feel its ok to do all that behind the wheel...

You are wrong they need at least 36 hours sleep a day

5 minutes ago, keith101 said:

If this poor lady dies his charge of negligent driving should be upgraded to vehicular manslaughter .

No such critter as "vehicular manslaughter" in the wonderful LOS.  Their term is "careless driving causing death."
Usually a 5 year sentence, which can be quickly set aside for the proper monetary compensation. 

1 hour ago, grumpy 4680 said:

It was indeed rare for a driver to confess to falling asleep at the wheel, and he desperatly wanted to help the injured woman, although I condone his unfortunate predicament, I do give the guy some credit.

He will need Credit if he's has to pay up Big.

6 hours ago, mok199 said:

Aparently thais need 12 - 16 hours of sleep each day,that leaves just 8 hours for  breakfast, lunch, a snack, dinner, texting and a KIP.....saddly,many feel its ok to do all that behind the wheel...

Many of them appear to be asleep all day long.

Do I think this guy is bright? Certainly not. Do I think Thais drive well? Absolutely not.

Can I judge this guy? Absolutely not. It has only happened to me once that I nearly fell asleep driving. Had I hit someone I would have felt guilt for the rest of my life. But we often seem to forget that an accident is exactly that, and accident. If this guy wasn't boozing or cranking I would think he is a jackass but I would be glad that it was him and not me. Anywhere in the world at any time accidents happen and There is no such thing as a smart accident.

I hope this guy does the right thing and makes amends to this lucky lady... I hope this guy was insured, I hope this lady has insurance and I pray she gets well. 

The force must have been looking out for her when she landed in the back of the pick up. Miraculous to say the least. This is one report on TV that I would like to see made into a movie.

May this lady heal well...

On 12/13/2018 at 10:54 AM, mok199 said:

Aparently thais need 12 - 16 hours of sleep each day,that leaves just 8 hours for  breakfast, lunch, a snack, dinner, texting and a KIP.....saddly,many feel its ok to do all that behind the wheel...

They dont know what the word fatigue means,in most countries it is publicized on the media all the time,not in Thailand.

56 minutes ago, grego49 said:

They dont know what the word fatigue means,in most countries it is publicized on the media all the time,not in Thailand.

I Have another point regarding dozing off in the car.fatigue combined with ''these black tinted windows'' is a disaster waiting to happen...not only is your visibility reduced ,it creates a dark relaxing environment .thais have enough trouble staying awake ,without driving a ''bedroom on wheels...what next ''Kenny G'' on the stereo serenading them to sleep !!!!!.....

Archived