Noodle seller escapes injury after Chiang Mai police fire on fleeing motorist at alcohol checkpoint

webfact

Noodle seller escapes injury after Chiang Mai police fire on fleeing motorist at alcohol checkpoint

9pm_VI.jpg

Picture: Manager online

A noodle seller working the late night shift on a road leading to Mae Rim had a lucky escape after a shell casing smashed into a pot lid that he was holding.

Chang Pheuak police had opened fire on a motorist who failed to stop at an alcohol checkpoint at 2 am on Tuesday morning.

Natthawut, the younger brother of the noodle man, went on Facebook to have a go at the police. 

561000012793005.jpg

Picture: Manager online

They contacted him later and all was settled amicably - the police were just doing their job, agreed Natthawut. 

It was accepted that the path of the actual bullet was not directed towards the noodle stand. 

Source: Manager Online

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-12-13

This is quite disturbing, it shows a serious lack of training and an absence of strict guidelines (or both) on the use of lethal force (firearms) by the Thai Police, the only way this could be justified in the west is if it was absolutely clear the motorist was trying to kill someone intentionally with his car

of course some would argue that driving while drunk would provide that justification - it doesn't

I remember seeing on Tv once, there's a guy with a woman hostage

standing in the middle of the road, on the right side there's 6-7 

police guns drawn pointing at the guy, on the left side ditto,with

the mandatory crowds of gawkers standing behind them on both 

sides. I am thinking if this hostage taker shoots the hostage,or at

the police,there's going to be a bloodbath,police with guns facing

at each other with crowds of people behind. after a long standoff

the hostage taker gave up, but it could have ended so tragically,

regards Worgeordie

Wow, just saw this. We live right there, the corner shophouse. Picture attached for reference.

Yes, it was a rather rude wake up call that night. 2am ish and "blam! Blam!". I remember hearing the noodle seller having a fit and I thought he got shot. Don't speak much Thai, but my wife said he's just being dramatic.

Anyway, I thought it was pretty reckless for the cops to open fire like that. It's a pretty crowded area and most people there, like us, live where we trade in the day.

I was particularly concerned because in our house it's just me, my wife and our 2 infant daughters. If the bullets headed towards the noodle store we're, like, just a little bit up and left.

I thought what the police normally do is have a patrol car stationed somewhere up the road in case of runners. Not the cops here, it seems.

P_20181213_192344.jpg

I recall how a couple of years ago I was reading a post in which one of ThaiVisa members recalled his horror of being caught in the cross-fire outside a Big-C (or a similar supermarket) in Pattaya.... 

A bullet penetrated his car door and hit his child strapped up in a car seat.... the metal buckle on shoulder/chest harness saved his child's life.

Photo's were posted... 

9 hours ago, hmficc said:

Death sentence for fleeing a alcohol check point? Thailand needs to abolish the police and start fresh.

You just gave me pause for thought.

I wonder how different Thailand would be if the police force was simply abandoned and not restarted at all?

6 hours ago, ChipButty said:

They maybe had something else in the car for them to do a runner

Nor do we know whether any police or civilians were in danger from the unlawful operation of this dangerous weapon. Of course, if the vehicle plowed into a school bus full of kids, the cops would be criticized for not taking action. Much ado about nothing and an excuse for  keyboard commandos to second guess without having enough facts to draw any conclusions.

At least two have posted already, and the article clearly states, it was a shell CASING that struck the noodle stand.  You can catch one of those as they come out of the ejection port by hand and it isn't going to hurt you (except maybe hot). It also says the bullet path was not in the direction of the noodle stand.

Yes, shooting under those circumstances is ridiculous, and the bullet had to go somewhere and I am sure endangered someone, but the bullet did not hit the noodle stand. 

5 hours ago, silverhawk_usa said:

At least two have posted already, and the article clearly states, it was a shell CASING that struck the noodle stand.  You can catch one of those as they come out of the ejection port by hand and it isn't going to hurt you (except maybe hot). It also says the bullet path was not in the direction of the noodle stand.

Yes, shooting under those circumstances is ridiculous, and the bullet had to go somewhere and I am sure endangered someone, but the bullet did not hit the noodle stand. 

Got one of those down the back of my collar once on the range. 7.62 casing.  As you say

hot.

On 12/13/2018 at 12:33 PM, smedly said:

This is quite disturbing, it shows a serious lack of training and an absence of strict guidelines (or both) on the use of lethal force (firearms) by the Thai Police, the only way this could be justified in the west is if it was absolutely clear the motorist was trying to kill someone intentionally with his car

of course some would argue that driving while drunk would provide that justification - it doesn't

There is another issue at play here also which although doesn't justify the lethal force being utilized, it  does cast a light of understanding on  the cops mentality these days. There is literally billions of baht of meth and heroin on the Thai roads at any given time being jockeyed about. If that doesn't up the stakes of desperation how about a 30 yrs jail sentence in a hell hole. Now here you have someone blow past a check point, which if I was a cop here, would set off a myriad of alarms in my mind. It could be a drunk not wanting to test but it also could be an armed guy with a trunk full of dope. As I said earlier it doesn't justify the action especially with innocents in the line of fire, but imo it's certainly understandable these days.  

Archived