Thai Navy Recon Trainee Killed By Fish

webfact

Navy Recon Trainee Killed By Fish

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

S__1826846-696x504.jpg

A portrait of Kriangsak Pengpanich is shown at his funeral Thursday.

BANGKOK — A naval Special Forces cadet died in a freak accident while training off the coast of Trat province, the navy said Thursday.

Kriangsak Pengpanich, 22, was swimming Wednesday in the open sea when a carnivorous, shallow-water fish struck him in the neck at high speed, the navy said in a statement. Kriangsak, who served in the marine corps, was pronounced dead at the hospital.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2018/12/13/navy-recon-trainee-killed-by-fish/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-12-13

12 minutes ago, thequietman said:

Really ! A fast fish killed him!

Nuttin else involved here, no? Lax safety procedures for the recruits, no? Maybe a hazing exercise gone wrong, no? No other excuse, no?

OK, so we're goin with the very fast fish to the press.

OK. ????‍♀️

...Barracuda?

2 minutes ago, DM07 said:

A fish killed him, by swimming fast into him!

As happens so very very often and you hear about, almost every day!

Sure!

That happened!

Let's move on!

:coffee1:

...could be something lost in translation, as is often the case in such reports.

"struck him in the neck at high speed"

1 hour ago, thequietman said:

Really ! A fast fish killed him!

Nuttin else involved here, no? Lax safety procedures for the recruits, no? Maybe a hazing exercise gone wrong, no? No other excuse, no?

OK, so we're goin with the very fast fish to the press.

OK. ????‍♀️

You missed quite a few imaginary possibilities.

2 hours ago, monkfish said:

From what I saw on TV it was a Needle Fish the Anderman is full of them and they do look very menacing
They have a very sharp snout big Teeth and they move fast like a Barracuda,

Can this small fish kill a navy seal?? 

Not so hard to believe.

There are some very dangerous fish knocking about. I almost lost my knee last year kayaking on Samui. A big pointy fish skimmed the surface of the sea, and smacked in to the side of my kayak (above the water line) with extreme force. We have seen these big pointy fish break water and go 10's of meters above the sea because they are so powerful.

Ok a bit off topic but related.

I'm one of these people who never did and never will see the point of going swimming in the sea.

It's full of things that don't take kindly to you, they want to sting you, bite you or eat you.

Always amazed at contestants on quiz shows, eg, if I win xxxx I will buy a holiday to xxxx and go swimming with the sharks, WHAT???

If 'I' win xxx I'll book a holiday in a place where they produce good wine and try to drink as much of it as I can.

Sorry for the navy guy by the way.

1 hour ago, Amusements said:

Not so hard to believe.

There are some very dangerous fish knocking about. I almost lost my knee last year kayaking on Samui. A big pointy fish skimmed the surface of the sea, and smacked in to the side of my kayak (above the water line) with extreme force. We have seen these big pointy fish break water and go 10's of meters above the sea because they are so powerful.

As you were very much a victim of such an attack, no doubt you have done all you could to identify the fish that attacked your kayak, so could you please tell us which species it was ('swordfish', ...?). Thank you!

4 hours ago, JoePai said:

Fast Fish.jpg

This illustration is easily identifiable as a 'narval', because of its twisted screw-like defence 'tooth', hunted down for it, still some surviving,... in the cold upper northern Atlantic. As in this sad example, when it goes about 'shallow water' it seems unlikely it could have been a sword fish. Pure conjecture from me, but i'd say, maybe(!), hit by the 'harpoon-esk' tail of a 'ray', quite to very poisonous 'sting', or even a heavy electrical discharge from a 'torpedo' ray, possibly deadly when hitting the poor seal's spine... And, anyway, as mostly from the military, the lack of a decent explanation is quite telling about the value of a soldier's life.

1 hour ago, madmen said:
3 hours ago, fruitman said:

Can this small fish kill a navy seal?? 

The fish doesn't actually know if your a navy seal.

My cousins are navy seals and a fish like that small needle fish can't even get it's beak around their neck.....neither on mine...but maybe the thai navy seal is a few sizes smaller and has a very thin neck...

I don't believe it at all by the way...even if this fish bit him he would have some scratches maybe even drawing blood but nothing serious that would kill him...it's not a crocodile or a shark.

Maybe it was another fish or animal...or just a stupid excuse to not loose face...

40 minutes ago, fruitman said:

My cousins are navy seals and a fish like that small needle fish can't even get it's beak around their neck.....neither on mine...but maybe the thai navy seal is a few sizes smaller and has a very thin neck...

I don't believe it at all by the way...even if this fish bit him he would have some scratches maybe even drawing blood but nothing serious that would kill him...it's not a crocodile or a shark.

Maybe it was another fish or animal...or just a stupid excuse to not loose face...

jeez, it didn't get him in a vice like death grip followed by an epic struggle to the death.... you do know that if an object hits you hard enough in the neck it can kill you, right? Add to that an object that might be pointed and sharp, and you get the picture

8 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

...Barracuda?

7 hours ago, JoePai said:

Fast Fish.jpg

7 hours ago, overherebc said:

unnamed (7).jpg

Why make supposition on the kind of fish when the article clearly says it was a needlefish and even shows a picture of the (rather bug) one that killed the cadet ?

48053366_2093667570691690_73680878301840

Although needlefish are not naturally aggressive toward humans, there have been rare cases of fatal encounters, usually involving children.

jeez, it didn't get him in a vice like death grip followed by an epic struggle to the death.... you do know that if an object hits you hard enough in the neck it can kill you, right? Add to that an object that might be pointed and sharp, and you get the picture
People not quite getting it. This wasn't some attack but possibly getting in the way of a big tuna chasing a smaller fish at 50 mph. And BAM! game over.

About the same odds as Steve Irwin getting stabbed in the heart... But it happens

8 hours ago, monkfish said:

From what I saw on TV it was a Needle Fish the Anderman is full of them and they do look very menacing
They have a very sharp snout big Teeth and they move fast like a Barracuda,

I had a very bizarre encounter with one years ago which only ended when I punched it on the nose but I very much doubt if it could have killed me.

Archived