Thai Navy Recon Trainee Killed By Fish

webfact

9 hours ago, monkfish said:

From what I saw on TV it was a Needle Fish the Anderman is full of them and they do look very menacing
They have a very sharp snout big Teeth and they move fast like a Barracuda,

It could not be a needle fish, it does not have the mass of weight of a barracuda or bone fish.

This story has some substance, possible if the soldier was struck in the throat or back of the neck by a very fast heavy fish.

Barracuda and bone fish swim in large shoals and it would be easy for one fish to strike this man.

RIP to an elite soldier in training and condolences to the family, friends and his military companions. 

11 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Why make supposition on the kind of fish when the article clearly says it was a needlefish and even shows a picture of the (rather bug) one that killed the cadet ?

48053366_2093667570691690_73680878301840

Although needlefish are not naturally aggressive toward humans, there have been rare cases of fatal encounters, usually involving children.

Not speculating, just that I didn't read what kind of fish it was, I stand corrected.

20 hours ago, webfact said:

A naval Special Forces cadet died in a freak accident while training

A possible helpful atonement from the  military to his survivors is that the military will follow tradition and promote the deceased cadet to Admiral that increases survivor benefits.

19 hours ago, overherebc said:

Can do 40 kph + with a mouthful of very sharp teeth.

Attracted to shiny objects in the water ( chrome bits etc ) can be up to one metre long.

Every possibility that's what hit the poor guy.

unnamed (7).jpg

My thoughts as well. I have actually experienced catching one of these vicious creatures off the Kenyan Coast near Mombasa. Definitely not a Piranha as they are restricted to South American waters. RIP young man.

"Small" does not always mean harmless, and I would

d say the specimen exhibited is not exactly a kid's aquarium comet.
From "About animals, .com":
"The Needlefish can reach speeds of 60 km/h and can jump out of the water. They are known to jump over small boats, instead of swimming underneath. Needlefish have been reported to be responsible for two deaths so far, but usually, they are not harmful to humans.Jan 2, 2016".
So, yes, two reported human fatalities prior to this unlucky young man. Imagine a foot long fish with an added six inch  very pointy snout smacking into your carotid artery at 60 kph.
RIP young man.

Not sure about needlefish, but barracuda hunt by doing a speed run through a school then come back to finish off the ones they wounded.  They're basically a torpedo with razor sharp box cutters for teeth.  They're attracted to shiny things, like an oxygen regulator or tank valve on a diver.  Sharks never bothered me diving but barracuda always did.  Very aggressive.

I've been wading through chest deep water at nighttime in the red sea and had needlefish flying out of the water towards my torch. They can be dangerous.

Barracuda don't worry me when diving. They tend to sit off staring at you but when you look away they blend into the background.

My only bad experience with them was on a night dive when a large barracuda swam at speed down my torch beam. I didn't have time to switch the torch off and it hit my forearm with what felt like the force of a hammer. Ouch.

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 6:32 PM, Prissana Pescud said:

It could not be a needle fish, it does not have the mass of weight of a barracuda or bone fish.

This story has some substance, possible if the soldier was struck in the throat or back of the neck by a very fast heavy fish.

Barracuda and bone fish swim in large shoals and it would be easy for one fish to strike this man.

RIP to an elite soldier in training and condolences to the family, friends and his military companions. 

Elite soldier in training......<deleted> this is Thailand the only thing LoS excels in is stupidity and corruption!

Sad for the lad and his family but bloody hell get a grip....

16 hours ago, Farma said:

I've been wading through chest deep water at nighttime in the red sea and had needlefish flying out of the water towards my torch. They can be dangerous.

Barracuda don't worry me when diving. They tend to sit off staring at you but when you look away they blend into the background.

My only bad experience with them was on a night dive when a large barracuda swam at speed down my torch beam. I didn't have time to switch the torch off and it hit my forearm with what felt like the force of a hammer. Ouch.

I never had a problem with barracuda but did once see a titan trigger fish sever the hose of a fellow divers regulator and knock his mask off, fortunately without incident.

On 12/13/2018 at 8:15 PM, overherebc said:

Ok a bit off topic but related.

I'm one of these people who never did and never will see the point of going swimming in the sea.

It's full of things that don't take kindly to you, they want to sting you, bite you or eat you.

Always amazed at contestants on quiz shows, eg, if I win xxxx I will buy a holiday to xxxx and go swimming with the sharks, WHAT???

If 'I' win xxx I'll book a holiday in a place where they produce good wine and try to drink as much of it as I can.

Sorry for the navy guy by the way.

I actually enjoy beach vacations and occasionally swimming in the ocean, but I’v always remembered this quote from Hunter S. Thompson:

“It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.”

On 12/13/2018 at 1:29 PM, fruitman said:

Can this small fish kill a navy seal?? 

Yes. There are cases where these fish got scared , leaped out of the water and  impaled fishermen.  It's usual news around those parts especially in the fishermen communities.  Night fisherman and divers are especially at risk because needlefish get excited by artificial light. Once they get through you , their beak "snaps" inside you and from there on : good luck my friend. It's just a matter of luck where it hits.

And by the way , they can get to 60 km/h easily and with a beak that sharp it's no surprise they puncture you even behind scuba suit.

Saw a lot of them while scuba diving but then again I only do it in the daylight.

I've caught quite a few of these fish, we called them Long Toms. They are a lot of fun to catch on a hand line. They can get quite large and weigh several kilos. Not good eating, as they have too many bones. Have caught many Barracuda as well, don't eat them either. 

The serviceman apparently got hit in the neck and bled to death from the wound. I can understand such an injury from these things, we always handled the toothy end very carefully. 

Archived