New Truck Province Driving - AT or MT?

kuma

Good day 

So looking at buying a new vehicle. In the fourth quarter now of this life (10:40 of 3rd anyway!), so could be final one I buy - if not second from last for sure (at least in LOS).

I have decided on just about all aspects - except Auto trans vs Manual trans. 

Interested to hear thoughts.

In my heart I would love to have another MT. Have never owned one in Thailand - and grew up driving on the "proper side" ???? so it would be interesting from that perspective - and I always liked driving stick in the past at home.

But - I do think about how I might feel after ten years or so of driving - would it still be the novelty it was, or would it be a pain in the a$$? 
I no longer live in Bkk - would never think of it living there. Now in the South East, traffic is for the most part light, driving is mostly highway, and with a 6MT I figure 25% of the time would be 3rd gear, 60% 6th, so dont foresee having to grind thru them like a Bkk taxi driver, but interested to hear if anyone out there uses manual and how you feel about it.

So thats it for this thread, thanks for any and all responses in advance. Cheers

I was a standard guy for a long time, but I'll never go back. I love having an automatic, and the last five I have had have all been 100% trouble free, with each running over 300,000km, except the current one that is at 20,000km now.

First pick-up I had here was a stick, and it was okay, but you do get tired of shifting particularly if you do need to go to BKK now and then or have knee replacement surgery, or hammertoe surgery or have a wife or girlfriend that thinks the clutch is a foot-rest.

That said, the shift on the opposite side was not an issue for me. The pedals are all the same as is the shift pattern. I don't think it took more than 5-10 minutes to get used to, but I was only 42 when I go it.

Yes well consensus so far is AT. I am buying (if I go ahead) the same vehicle I have now which is 2.2L 6AT (Ford/Mazda) - it is a great powertrain and I know it performs well, but still pondering the MT - cost difference is ~30k so not a big factor, more about taking one last swing at MT and would I regret it or not.

Cheers

We have 4 A/T & 1 M/T scattered about in 3 countries......

Prefer the A/T's most of the time.....The only time M/T really shows itself superior is under decel where the ultimate control is needed (ice, snow, some mud) & a free wheeling A/T or braking creates a disadvantage.....

Since most of the time that doesn't come into play here the A/T is just fine.....

The days of a difference of longevity is long gone.....

Only thing here is, real A/T technicians/rebuilders/diagnogtitions really don't exist.....

Automatic.

And with the modern automatics the "higher fuel consumption" becomes a myth compared to the average manual driver.

Manual under the stop/go conditions in most cities? No way.

I found it interesting/surprising that the Toyota best seller car (Vios) isn't even offered with a manual anymore. I didn't check for other manufacturers.

Great input, thanks.

I was looking at both the Ranger XLT and Navara Black Edition. I want an 'open cab' with the suicide (showing my age?) doors - and interestingly enough Nissan only has MT for the Black Edition with 'open cab' (they call it king cab), to get AT you need to get a four door....go figure.

I have a four door now, never use the back for passengers and often looking for more space in the bed so this time around getting the open cab with an extra foot of bed space, and still plenty of room in the cab for gear and the occasional passenger.

So if I was to go Nissan MT is the only option, but I am leaning Ford - it seems to be all round sturdier to the touch (top hat and interior). I think the Nissan has a good powertrain, but the interior does not feel right nor the fit and finish when closing the doors. So if it is Ford, then I can still choose between AT or MT, they offer both.

Cheers

Automatic is my strong advice. Firstly for all the pros mentioned earlier. Secondly (my favourite) is that many new cars come with anti collision and with that the acc (automatic cruise control) witch is a blessing when you're stuck behind another car or you just want a more relaxed drive. 

I just bought a Pajero Sport and are very pleased with the acc. If I want quick acceleration and not wishing high rpm, I simply shift on the pads at the steering wheel. Modern a/t are great and efficient. My 8 steps trany is gold (my personal opinion).

There are other other great cars out there. However, I don't have any experience from them, therefore can't really tell. 

On 12/14/2018 at 8:23 PM, Hupaponics said:

Automatic is my strong advice. Firstly for all the pros mentioned earlier. Secondly (my favourite) is that many new cars come with anti collision and with that the acc (automatic cruise control) witch is a blessing when you're stuck behind another car or you just want a more relaxed drive. 

I just bought a Pajero Sport and are very pleased with the acc. If I want quick acceleration and not wishing high rpm, I simply shift on the pads at the steering wheel. Modern a/t are great and efficient. My 8 steps trany is gold (my personal opinion).

There are other other great cars out there. However, I don't have any experience from them, therefore can't really tell. 

Agreed Acc is a great option I have it now and drive hands only quite often. 

But would that not be an option w mt as well? If course you can speed up slow down only within a band depending on your speed, but I only use it on the highway at speed that would be Top Gear anyway. 

This week is decision time all around so see what happens

Cheers

4 minutes ago, kuma said:

Agreed Acc is a great option I have it now and drive hands only quite often. 

But would that not be an option w mt as well? If course you can speed up slow down only within a band depending on your speed, but I only use it on the highway at speed that would be Top Gear anyway. 

This week is decision time all around so see what happens

Cheers

Be a REAL man and get the standard. Don't listen to all these pussies that don't know how to drive using a clutch!

12 minutes ago, Sakeopete said:

2 of 3 vehicles are AT, my third which is my favorite (offroad blinged Mitsubishi Triton) is stick. That means the wife keeps her Thai driver hands off it which helps me sleep better while I am away working. 

And looking at your handle, you are Sa Kaeo based? This is what I am thinking thru. I am in the same region now - and think stick would be more fun than annoying out here, but will only have one vehicle (Girl more than happy to learn stick, and she is an excellent driver so I know she could in a day) so maybe AT is the way, and rent an MT when want some kicks....

I used to always prefer manuals in Europe but have deffo come around to auto-thinking here. The nature of the roads, traffic and especially other drivers lack of ability, make it a prerequisite,  way too much incessant stirring the MT box!

Plus, sell on value is effected by a MT because so few peeps want them.

I was under the impression sticks were for mountain driving going up and down or if you a hauled a bunch or weight like a ranch working truck.  I drove a stick for my first car but like to relax now so AT and air conditioner all the way as a nice sound system. 

Automat. my wather live in LA big city and car dealer say he buy new car, dealer say not buy manyal but father want and he order manyal, then first month at city he drive to work eweryday, ok, transmission and clutch has proken, why, manual not good hot weather and big city drive/stop/wait,drive alltime clutch not like and burn, thats him car make next year ewery month need repair clutch new. not manual newer if drive daily at city. manual no need anywere troday if can buy automatic, and winter north europe ice road automatic have safe than manual. but this is different story.economy no have different, if you hqas looking many test has do man/auto and no have anythink different, same gasoline go both.

With manual transmission you get a little bit better gas mileage, a little cheaper and lots better performance when zipping around corners and such at speed.

With an automatic you can spend less time worrying about what gear you are in as you crawl through traffic and pay extra attention to the cars/bikes/people jumping in front of you at all times.

Guess what we get more of in Thailand - open roads for racing around on or crawling in traffic with obstacles from every direction? Oh, and you are talking about a diesel truck, so you won't be zipping anywhere even if the roads are clear....

It used to be manual was more fuel efficient than automatics.  But they have improved automatics nowadays so fuel efficiency isn't a concern.  In fact most of the people I know here driving manuals use them so poorly they are most likely getting worse mileage from them.

I inherited a Toyota 2012 5 speed a while back I've driven stick majority of my life including big rigs tractor trailers.  I'm just too old to mess around with an M/T any longer so I sold it and recently got a Revo, Extra cab A/T I never even considered any other made and felt this was most likely my last one so enjoyed aside from the price and I didn't care much about anything else. But soon realized it was a 7 speed 2.4 cc and gets great gas mileage majority running on gear 4/5 all I say is never going back to an M/T, a M/T does run around 75-100,000 less?

Lots of great discussion - cheers for that

Surprised how much out of favour MT has become.

Have to correct Alan's correction - I did learn on the proper side, but after so many years here now am used to not having the use of my dominant arm (right) for the majority of the navigation, entertainment and comfort controls. RHD, to me, was an error made in the first instance when motor vehicles had no other controls to be adjusted - now you learn to fumble with your left while the right arm is out of the game ????

So on this forum anyway the large majority says AT....just back from a days city driving (rare) and indeed today would have been a lot harder with MT so maybe that clinches it.....!!??

Thanks for the input!

2/4wd selectable A/T is the way to go. Mostly you will use 2wd, but I need 4wd often enough in the boonies to make it worth while. It would be nice if my Vigo would use engine braking in high ratio in anything over 1st, but it doesn't! Keep your brakes in good order, you WILL wear them out! 

Never had any problem with the transmission in 11 years/250,000km - or anything else major, if you don't count a drowned starter motor. Mr T makes a good truck.

if you are getting a Diesel, that one would run between 1500 and 2000 revs anyway, Automatic is the logical choice.
Unless you feel the need to drive a diesel as if it were a petrol engine and compete in the soot bellowing competition.

I use Isuzu,  2WD most of the time, 4WD when seriously wet or wet grass land, and up the mud track occasionally have to shift down to low gear 4WD.
AT can do all that, and works fine for me.

Archived