New Truck Province Driving - AT or MT?

kuma

Auto unless you want to moan and groan about the MY when you’re stuck in stop and go traffic for a couple hours.... 

switching from left to rigjt right not a problem except for turning on windsheild wipers instead of blinker...

have a mt truck didn’t care for it much (MT) and we have Suzuki Swift which is MT fun the scare the shit out of papa in law on road with sharp turns. He never wore the seatbelt below but now he does every time he gets in the car

I'm a used car guy I always get MT 100%, getting a used AT is pretty much nonsense. But for newer cars, MT got power steering and refined synchro, AT also cured heavy brake and subpar acceleration, so it's pretty much up to particular car & personal preference. 

I live in Bangkok, and I prefer MT for city traffic, easier mess with clutch & throttle, than mess with heavy brake pedal. Hell even a twin platter is less tiring than a heavy, slippery AT. Plus more control and safer. 

I get no exercise anymore due to Auto Trans.!!. You can nearly start in 4th in 3litre clonker trucks anyway, so theres not much gear changing need out of town. Personally i enjoy both. Cant realy see much point of multi range auto on something like a Pajero/ Thai SUV style thing thats not fast whatever box it has. 

17 hours ago, themerg said:

Manual is cheaper and is exciting to drive.

You don't get cruise control with MT, but driving in Thailand, you are hitting the brakes constantly, which unlocks cruise control.

Sorry that is NOT correct..  My Ford Ranger is 6 speed manual and has cruise control. [use it a lot]

Ranger XLT   'Forget having to turn your cruise control on and off as traffic conditions change. If traffic slows in front of you, Adaptive Cruise Control automatically slows to maintain a safe distance. Once traffic clears, it returns to your pre-set cruising speed.'

16 minutes ago, ignis said:

Sorry that is NOT correct..  My Ford Ranger is 6 speed manual and has cruise control. [use it a lot]

Ranger XLT  open cab........... 'Forget having to turn your cruise control on and off as traffic conditions change. If traffic slows in front of you, Adaptive Cruise Control automatically slows to maintain a safe distance. Once traffic clears, it returns to your pre-set cruising speed.'

4 hours ago, ignis said:

As it is on your list, the Ranger XLT  now also has the Bi-Turbo 2.0 lt engine as an option, in 6 speed manual or 10 speed Auto..

Ignis thanks for the replies. Nice to hear you have MT6, you find it enjoyable? You in the country or mostly city type driving? 

I know of the 2.0L 10AT, but not comfortable to step into either as they are too new, will stick with 2.2L 6AT/MT, it has been a great performer for me so far, plenty out there and therefore a good base of spare parts and knowledge of repair now in the country. I have 6AT now, and still today pondering AT again or MT - I basically have this week to decide if I will go ahead at all - and if so Trans choice is the only outstanding decision.

I did look at and test drive the Nissan Navara as well, but it did not seem to have the same quality top hat as the Ranger - I understand the 2.448 is a good engine, but on the short test drive (not a lot of data I know) it did not feel any substantively different from the Ranger. Resale is not a big concern for me so all summed up the Ranger seems to be a go - if we can make a deal on trade in and price.

Cheers

Just now, kuma said:

Ignis thanks for the replies. Nice to hear you have MT6, you find it enjoyable? You in the country or mostly city type driving? 

I know of the 2.0L 10AT, but not comfortable to step into either as they are too new, will stick with 2.2L 6AT/MT, it has been a great performer for me so far, plenty out there and therefore a good base of spare parts and knowledge of repair now in the country. I have 6AT now, and still today pondering AT again or MT - I basically have this week to decide if I will go ahead at all - and if so Trans choice is the only outstanding decision.

I did look at and test drive the Nissan Navara as well, but it did not seem to have the same quality top hat as the Ranger - I understand the 2.448 is a good engine, but on the short test drive (not a lot of data I know) it did not feel any substantively different from the Ranger. Resale is not a big concern for me so all summed up the Ranger seems to be a go - if we can make a deal on trade in and price.

Cheers

Oh forgot, thanks for clarifying the MT has cruise, I thought that was the case as well, and obviously you drive one so can confirm. Cannot see why MT would exclude CC.

On 12/17/2018 at 11:11 AM, mogandave said:

Be a REAL man and get the standard. Don't listen to all these pussies that don't know how to drive using a clutch!

One one the delivery trucks I used to drive during the 1960s had a 4 speed crash gearbox and a 2 speed rear axle. It was "interesting" to drive especially fully loaded.

My current truck is a Ford Ranger 4x4 with a 2.5 litre diesel turbo and a 5 speed manual gearbox. It is 17 years old with 382,xxx km on the clock and like most Fords it just keeps rattling along.

My wife who is only about 160 cm tall (or short) and 53 kg drives the truck with no problem, other than leaving in a higher gear than I do when driving up the track to the house.

11 minutes ago, billd766 said:

One one the delivery trucks I used to drive during the 1960s had a 4 speed crash gearbox and a 2 speed rear axle. It was "interesting" to drive especially fully loaded.

My current truck is a Ford Ranger 4x4 with a 2.5 litre diesel turbo and a 5 speed manual gearbox. It is 17 years old with 382,xxx km on the clock and like most Fords it just keeps rattling along.

Wow thats a fine machine then, just around 22k per year at that clip - which is about what I do typically, though I might get a scooter for some of the round town run about and that would cut 20% or so off that I figure.

Can only hope to get one that can last and perform same.

Cheers

13 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I did a summer driving a 54 GMC five ton dump with armstrong steering and a four speed MT - that was a blast I have to say and some of what gets me thinking MT again, but that was as a young'un (16) so though I look at these Hino 500's and think it would be a blast to drive (or the ancient hard seat Isuzus) maybe Im better to own an AT and rent an MT for kicks now and then.....

5 minutes ago, kuma said:

Wow thats a fine machine then, just around 22k per year at that clip - which is about what I do typically, though I might get a scooter for some of the round town run about and that would cut 20% or so off that I figure.

Can only hope to get one that can last and perform same.

Cheers

My overall fuel consumption is about 13.5 kpl which for a well used truck is pretty good I think.

My wife who is only about 160 cm tall (or short) and 53 kg drives the truck with no problem, other than leaving in a higher gear than I do when driving up the track to the house.

Yeah, I used to travel with two of the biggest carnivals in the US and have driven all manner of trucks an equipment.

My favorite truck was an old 15 speed, B-Model Mack with a five speed primary and a three speed secondary.

I don’t have a problem driving a standard, in much the same way that I don’t have s problem shaving with a double-edge.

Were I going to buy a sports car, or a serious off-road vehicle, I would buy a standard, but a daily driver? Not so much.

It is worth noting that many if not most of the new taxis in Bangkok are auto...

On 12/14/2018 at 8:20 PM, kuma said:

Great input, thanks.

I was looking at both the Ranger XLT and Navara Black Edition. I want an 'open cab' with the suicide (showing my age?) doors - and interestingly enough Nissan only has MT for the Black Edition with 'open cab' (they call it king cab), to get AT you need to get a four door....go figure.

I have a four door now, never use the back for passengers and often looking for more space in the bed so this time around getting the open cab with an extra foot of bed space, and still plenty of room in the cab for gear and the occasional passenger.

So if I was to go Nissan MT is the only option, but I am leaning Ford - it seems to be all round sturdier to the touch (top hat and interior). I think the Nissan has a good powertrain, but the interior does not feel right nor the fit and finish when closing the doors. So if it is Ford, then I can still choose between AT or MT, they offer both.

Cheers

The navara will be updated (soon??) with the new twin turbo motor (but same HP) as the old one. I'd go for the ranger if I was in the market. This new motor performs very well in the new nissan terra. 

Or maybe this ranger, with the updated 2.0 (better overall than the 2.2, but costs more):

image.png.936332374216bbedef76e3b33de93964.png

11 minutes ago, DavisH said:

The navara will be updated (soon??) with the new twin turbo motor (but same HP) as the old one. I'd go for the ranger if I was in the market. This new motor performs very well in the new nissan terra. 

Or maybe this ranger, with the updated 2.0 (better overall than the 2.2, but costs more):

image.png.936332374216bbedef76e3b33de93964.png

Interesting, first time I have noticed new Ranger 2.0L twinned w the 6AT - only seen the 10AT til now. I know there have been issues w the 10AT, so have they backed off and gone back to the 6AT? The 2.0L is a twin turbo yes? I am happy with the 2.2L 6AT powertrain, figure i dont want to dip into the 2.)L til it gets more hours clocked.

Twin turbos I find (yes old fashioned) to be like having two extra coffee on a tired day to keep you going - one too many aspirants for me ????

1 minute ago, kuma said:

Interesting, first time I have noticed new Ranger 2.0L twinned w the 6AT - only seen the 10AT til now. I know there have been issues w the 10AT, so have they backed off and gone back to the 6AT? The 2.0L is a twin turbo yes? I am happy with the 2.2L 6AT powertrain, figure i dont want to dip into the 2.)L til it gets more hours clocked.

Twin turbos I find (yes old fashioned) to be like having two extra coffee on a tired day to keep you going - one too many aspirants for me ????

That is a 6 speed manual (with 180HP single turbo engine). I think the 2.0 only comes with the 10 speed. So there should be no issues with this 6 speed manual + single turbo engine. I was told by Ford at the motorshow that that auto transmission issues was limited to 30 units. But who knows. I reckon this 2.0 would go really well with a manual gearbox. 

They are all here: https://www.ford.co.th/en/trucks/ranger/compare-models/

1 hour ago, DavisH said:

That is a 6 speed manual (with 180HP single turbo engine). I think the 2.0 only comes with the 10 speed. So there should be no issues with this 6 speed manual + single turbo engine. I was told by Ford at the motorshow that that auto transmission issues was limited to 30 units. But who knows. I reckon this 2.0 would go really well with a manual gearbox. 

They are all here: https://www.ford.co.th/en/trucks/ranger/compare-models/

Ah ok got it saw 6 speed and thought AT 'automatically'

2.0 will likely turn out well, but I am very happy w 2.2L and it is proven, with a good base in country now so my preference. Got a best mileage computation of 1176km to empty (after the girl had been driving for some time, and all highway) so I am happy with that performance.

10 hours ago, kuma said:

Ah ok got it saw 6 speed and thought AT 'automatically'

2.0 will likely turn out well, but I am very happy w 2.2L and it is proven, with a good base in country now so my preference. Got a best mileage computation of 1176km to empty (after the girl had been driving for some time, and all highway) so I am happy with that performance.

Yes any problems with the 2.2 should have been sorted by ford already. What bugs me is that you have to buy the top spec to get all the safety features and amenities. They don't have tech packages here at extra cost that you can add to lower models.

On 12/18/2018 at 12:30 PM, kuma said:

Cheers

Mostly country driving, live in the sticks 55 km north east of BKK, and go Saturn and Hat Yai every month... [have a Audi A6 Auto if need to go into a City]   Keep the trucks till 300,000 km, which is around 3 years or so. maybe longer this time as 168,000 on the clock and is just about 2 years old. + not a single problem...  

Had the Mazda Hi-Racer before, the Ranger just was better, before that the D-Max SLX with ABS and airbags.. had 2 of them

Friend had the Nissan Navara 4 dr Auto, very heavy on fuel, now has the Mazda  4 dr Auto, says = miles better

9 hours ago, DavisH said:

Yes any problems with the 2.2 should have been sorted by ford already. What bugs me is that you have to buy the top spec to get all the safety features and amenities. They don't have tech packages here at extra cost that you can add to lower models.

So in the end I just grabbed a 2.2 6AT XLT Open Cab. Feature wise I find the XLT has most everything, and is very amenable to adding your own touches.

In terms of safety, I think it has the same as Wildtrack I just traded - save the side airbags - but there are no rear seats per say (though the bench will accommodate three in the back quite comfortably, Thai comfortable), so understandable, but would be nice to have them.

All in all, very happy with the whole process - now hope this one breaks in as well as the one I have - the worst part of the whole event is giving up this unit, it has been a great machine.

So in the end I just grabbed a 2.2 6AT XLT Open Cab. Feature wise I find the XLT has most everything, and is very amenable to adding your own touches.
In terms of safety, I think it has the same as Wildtrack I just traded - save the side airbags - but there are no rear seats per say (though the bench will accommodate three in the back quite comfortably, Thai comfortable), so understandable, but would be nice to have them.
All in all, very happy with the whole process - now hope this one breaks in as well as the one I have - the worst part of the whole event is giving up this unit, it has been a great machine.

Color?

Photo?

Archived