Looking for portrait subjects for expat photo project

KDee

I'm an amatuer photographer, focusing on portraits. I've lived in Bangkok for over 13 years now, I have a business here and a few years ago took up photography for something fun to do. Earlier this year I did a project on Bangkok tomboys - which won several awards.

Next year I want to do a project on expats in Thailand. I'm inclined towards some of the older set, I'm 65 myself so know a bit about getting older. I want to travel around Thailand next year for the project, collecting portraits as well as stories. 

To start things off and develop my photographic approach to these subjects, I'm looking for gents that might like to come to my studio in Saphan Khwai for a free portrait. It would take 30 minutes or so. If you like one of the photos I took I'm happy to give you an archival quality A2 print for your time. And digital copies of the rest. Also I'm open to try both individual portraits as well as couples if you want to bring the Mrs along. Just see where it leads me. It's all fun and relaxed. 

If there was an establishment of some sort in Bangkok that I could set-up a portable studio in some room or corner that might be interesting if anyone has recommendation. Also if there are particular guys that you think would be interesting subjects, I'm all ears.

This is not a money making business for me, quite the opposite, more like an expensive hobby. I just do it for fun and having a creative outlet. There's no scam, I'm not going to try to sell you health insurance, investments, bitcoins or a sick water buffalo. If you want to do this I will ask you to sign a very standard model release so that I have your permission and rights to the photos.

Working on my website but if you want to see my work here are some links, and some samples attached.

Facebook: studiosoisix
Instagram: derekbrownphotography
Tomboy Project: tomboybangkok dot com
If you're interested send me a message. Or ask me any question here. Thank you so much!!! 

Derek

2018-02-23-Palm-44.jpg

2018-03-06-Maprang-143.jpg

2018-03-22-Prae-21.jpg

2018-10-03-Tonnam-182.jpg

2018-10-17-Kook-085.jpg

2018-10-23-Mew-157.jpg

2018-10-30-Benz-039.jpg

2018-11-08-Fah-009.jpg

2018-11-10-Na-176.jpg

I like the pictures but if any of us sign up do we have to look miserable as well?. It's not a joke as all of the posted pictures don't show any life from the subjects, don't you try to get any personality out of any of them?.

p.s. I genuinely wish you well with your project.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not adverse to a smile from time to time. But smiles can tend to be problematic, it's really hard to get a natural smile on demand. Attached might be an example a natural moment in a photo shoot - but that's not me telling her to smile, something happened and I just captured it. 

I also don't want a standard selfie face - which each of the girls from my original post can of course do. I'm looking for what I'd consider a relaxed face. Could be more thoughtful perhaps. Something that reflects a bit on the inner person, not the persona that most of us present to the world. 

But to be honest, I don't know exactly which direction this will go in terms of how I might position or light the subjects, and what sorts of expressions they might have. I'm just looking for something real and draws the viewer in. The sitter and I are working on the portrait together. 

The story behind the famous portrait of Churchill by Yousuf Karsh in 1941 was that he was having a difficult time with Churchill, and at one point reached over and took his cigar away and got this iconic photo. Just a little magic happens sometimes.

Thanks again

2018-12-03-Tongneung-077.jpg

Winston-Churchill.jpg

18 minutes ago, KDee said:

Would someone be interested in being paid for a portrait sitting? I'd pay 3,000 thb for 1 hour.  

Im totally ugly though, not like her. Made it a bit too soft.1070058039_P1090283(3).thumb.JPG.7e3496bea4bac64b67d267f4896abaef.JPG

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

Im totally ugly though, not like her. Made it a bit too soft.1070058039_P1090283(3).thumb.JPG.7e3496bea4bac64b67d267f4896abaef.JPG

Well I don't think you're ugly. But yes perhaps the photo is a bit over processed. 

For this project I'm looking for expat men however

30 minutes ago, KDee said:

Well I don't think you're ugly. But yes perhaps the photo is a bit over processed. 

For this project I'm looking for expat men however

Dude that is not me hahahahahahahahah.

FWIW, I may go the other way and soften it more and less to fit my vision, if you know what I mean

1 hour ago, KDee said:

Anyway... ugly old farangs is good for me. Not looking for Sean Connery. 

And @Nyezhov - it's all pretty much subjective, if you're happy that's what counts.

Dude it you want to pay me for pics, have at me. I look great in sunglasses and a hat.

Or a burkha

On 12/17/2018 at 11:31 AM, Nyezhov said:

Dude it you want to pay me for pics, have at me. I look great in sunglasses and a hat.

Or a burkha

I'll send you a PM with details

To anyone else - I have a few people interested in the 3,000 thb for 1 hour photo shoot. I'm going to limit this to the 'proof of concept' stage and 5 people that I pay. After that I'll see where it goes. If you're interested you can PM me.

thanks

Archived