if you Attend a Govt Sponsored Event and you arent legal

2 hours ago, Spidey said:

Well, you certainly live up to your forum name!

I never carry my passport with me. Never been a problem. I certainly wouldn't compromise my sartorial elegance to protect my belongings from pickpockets. Never had anyone attempt to pick my pocket in Thailand, although others have tried in other countries. They'd be wasting their time anyway, I only carry a handkerchief and my keys for most of the time, my wallet lives in my wife's hand bag.

Lose the paranoia, lose the convertible pants and chill.

So you don't carry your wallet but you carry your wife wherever you go... sorry but I'll stick to carrying my own wallet.

Interestingly however, I don't carry tissues but my wife always has a collection.

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

Perhaps the next time I encounter something interesting regarding Immigration, I best keep to to myself so as to not to upset folks, or just to cause an argument for the sake of argument.

I must assume I will never post a thread like this one in future. ????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

It maybe better for the blood pressure if you are going to get upset with the follow on discussion and comments... 

Nevertheless....  its definitely a post worth noting, just to see if similar 'portable' checks pop up elsewhere... 

My blood pressure is groovy. Maybe I expect more insightful comments.

14 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

The test is this: the fair runs for another few weeks. Anybody on overstay want to go with me so we can see what is what?

I like this proof of concept, it looks harmless. ????

Edited by farangx
  • Like 1

On 12/13/2018 at 10:23 PM, Nyezhov said:

Before entering, I was asked to show my passport (the phone copy was OK) to a desk manned by Immigration. They ran my number via computer. I was not asked to show my photo of my Visa, I assume because they knew it was valid. They also recorded my passport number in a log. They asked me no questions.

I needed passport for the Royal crematorium at Sanam luang last year. Mind you, without ID I probably would have just been denied entry.. I doubt anyone on overstay would be walking around with their passport on them, or be willing to present it to anyone. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, arithai12 said:

So you don't carry your wallet but you carry your wife wherever you go... sorry but I'll stick to carrying my own wallet.

Interestingly however, I don't carry tissues but my wife always has a collection.

I always felt it seemed rather hopeless of a person to let his wife carry his wallet for him, a little like a child. Another reason, handbags are easier to snatch by ride-by thieves than a wallet securely in a pocket.

9 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Ive entered the Grand Palace with just baht ????

. But the important thing here is the fact that they insisted on a passport, and ran it through a computer.

Funny how when you try to be helpful and say, hey folks, here is what happened, all the experts come out just to argue. Im not into netwars to satisfy ego needs, Im just trying to tell folks that the old days are apparently coming to an end.

With all the cynicism about BIBs and Brown envelopes, wait till some cop refuses one and locks some schnoook up. Then watch the whinging.

Where am I arguing?  The discussion is about whether anyone's gotten into Grand Palace with an ID besides a passport, a thread full of people saying "gee I don't know, has anyone?", then I said I have, then even added a caveat that just because I did in the past doesn't mean someone else will now.  How is that argumentative?  Why is it worth singling my post out over everyone else's, including those who ARE arguing?

11 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I don't attend government-sponsored events. I'm not a masochist.

But if you were, would you use a BellRoy Passport sleeve/wallet, (it keeps everything together don't you know) and wear Prana, or North Face convertible pants all the time?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Nyezhov  You seem to have locked on to the "assuming crowd" on the TV forum.  only one page and I have counted 13 usages of the word assume, assumption and variants thereof - so I 'assume' you have hit the motherlode of assumpters.

And, to assume, makes an ass of u & me...

Apologies for my French.

Edited by KiChakayan

9 hours ago, arithai12 said:

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I always felt it seemed rather hopeless of a person to let his wife carry his wallet for him, a little like a child. Another reason, handbags are easier to snatch by ride-by thieves than a wallet securely in a pocket.

Obviously, if I go out without my wife, I carry my own wallet.

It's traditional in Thailand for the wife to pay for everything, so she carries the money. It's akin to showing trust and respect to your wife and she gets kudos from her fellow Thais when in supermarkets, restaurants etc. Next time you are in a restaurant and older Thai couples are eating, just take note of who pays the bill, invariably it's the wife. I have made Thailand my home, have a Thai wife and son, therefore I try to observe Thai traditions.

Admittedly, it took me a couple of years of living with my wife to develop this level of trust and allow this practice but now I wouldn't have it any other way, I don't have to think about money now, she pays the household bills, does the shopping etc.

Probably is an element of the "little boy" in that but who cares? Works for me.

On the point of her getting her handbag snatched versus me getting my pocket picked, great! I would simply invoke another Thai tradition and blame her!

3 hours ago, Katia said:

Where am I arguing?  The discussion is about whether anyone's gotten into Grand Palace with an ID besides a passport, a thread full of people saying "gee I don't know, has anyone?", then I said I have, then even added a caveat that just because I did in the past doesn't mean someone else will now.  How is that argumentative?  Why is it worth singling my post out over everyone else's, including those who ARE arguing?

That wasnt directed at you qua you, but others sorry about my lack of precision. That leads to assumptions (a good assumption on your part)

24 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

And, to assume, makes an ass of u & me...

Apologies for my French.

I assume you wanted to be first with that old cliche.

41 minutes ago, JAG said:

If you are "illegal" then you will be relying on staying "below the radar", in which case you would be a very silly boy (or girl) to go to a government event!

One can never underestimate the silliness of some folks.

24 minutes ago, Spidey said:

It's traditional in Thailand for the wife to pay for everything, so she carries the money. It's akin to showing trust and respect to your wife and she gets kudos from her fellow Thais when in supermarkets, restaurants etc. Next time you are in a restaurant and older Thai couples are eating, just take note of who pays the bill, invariably it's the wife. I have made Thailand my home, have a Thai wife and son, therefore I try to observe Thai traditions.

Admittedly, it took me a couple of years of living with my wife to develop this level of trust and allow this practice but now I wouldn't have it any other way, I don't have to think about money now, she pays the household bills, does the shopping etc.

Probably is an element of the "little boy" in that but who cares? Works for me.

Absolutely correct! Im going to start a topic on that!

2 hours ago, Spidey said:

Obviously, if I go out without my wife, I carry my own wallet.

You make a good post and a good point, but it just enhances the view I have of the useless Thai males and that I prefer to stick with the traditions of my origins. Obviously the man pays! I do note they always bring the bill to my wife in a restaurant and I have a giggle at that.. she pays for nothing!

27 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

You make a good post and a good point, but it just enhances the view I have of the useless Thai males and that I prefer to stick with the traditions of my origins. Obviously the man pays! I do note they always bring the bill to my wife in a restaurant and I have a giggle at that.. she pays for nothing!

Obviously, it's my money that comes out of her handbag, it's even in my wallet. It's just a notional thing that makes my wife happy.

I always paid the bill in a restaurant when I went out with my wife in the UK. It's what I was brought up to do, part of my culture. However, as I said, I now live in Thailand with a Thai wife so I observe Thai culture. I'm comfortable in my own skin so I don't feel it as a threat to my "manliness".

All this turns in to some funny shiat kinda as it gains speed....

I’ve 5 DL only the Thai and China has passport number and

passport number is out dated US new passport new number...

I’ve not been asked for passport in Thailand other than hotel, airport. Once I got my Thai DL hotel asked for passport I handed them my DL and they ok with it....

Type of visa I had for China Renew every 2 years takes @ 30 days to process you don’t have to go out of country. Long ago could use paper copy of passport to take trains and check into hotel. Now you land looked until passport comes back. 

On 12/14/2018 at 12:02 AM, ocddave said:

I carry my Passport, Thai Car/Motorcycle Drivers License's, and my Pink Card with me wherever I go, so not too worried. I am guessing I am more legal, especially on the road, or while travelling, then most Thai's, let alone other Farang's. I use a BellRoy Passport sleeve/wallet, it keeps everything together, and I wear Prana, or North Face convertible pants all the time, so everything is securely in a hard to steal from pocket.

Your post clearly explains and supports your user name ????

• Like 1