Thai man take their time to attack a tourist in Hua him walking street

SCOTT FITZGERSLD

I was sitting in a bar in hua hin walking street, when suddenly i saw a thai man coming from next bar,
approach another asian man right in the middle of the street and smacking him few times on his face.
i thougth it is some account between two thai man when suddenly the thai man started talking to him in english,
searched his pockets and took out a passport. i got up to see what is going on and the thai man told me : "i am police
and this man touching woman". another thai man, the d.j. in the bar where i was sitting, came to help, grabbed
the asian tourist by his hand and forced him to sit, than started touching his ass !!
the tourist, maybe from bhutan (so said the "police" when he checked the passport),
looked completely shocked and very affraid. they took his wallet and smartphone and searched his pockets.
they did all this right in the middle of Hua hin walking street, taking their time.
i was quite shocked myself and aventually left the place.
now that i think about it, it seems like i saw a robbery in broad night ligjhts.
the two thai man felt free to abuse and hit the poor tourist; and propably felt free to do so
cause he was too drunk and....asian !!
i am sure they would never feel so relaxed to attack like that a farang.
it just made me feel how unsafe thailand can be.
any time, any thai man wearing black,  can approach me, smack me on my face few times,
say he is "police" and empty my pockets.
my question is: should i go to the police and report the case or just forget about it?

There's a lot of conjecture in your story. I don't think you really know what went down.

If I were you, I'd just leave it alone. I think it might be a bit late now to go to the police. Best not to wake them up.

What are you going to do?    Could you identify (or find!) any of these people again?  Any proof of what happened once they deny it?  What do you think it would accomplish?  It's too bad it happened, but creating bad blood and possibly making yourself a target for... what?

2 hours ago, Katia said:

What are you going to do?    Could you identify (or find!) any of these people again?  Any proof of what happened once they deny it?  What do you think it would accomplish?  It's too bad it happened, but creating bad blood and possibly making yourself a target for... what?

of course i can identify the attackers. one of them is, as i mentioned, the d.j. in the bar where i was sitting, the other propably the owner of next bar. those are two central bars in the walking street. i will never come back to sit there, but still, they attacked him , and maybe robbed him, so casually, so outragously, that i

think of reporting it to the police, cause the deal they ofer is : "we will smack and beat any tourist we don't see right". question is, can i tell it to the police, maybe tourist police, without identifying myself?

1 hour ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

of course i can identify the attackers. one of them is, as i mentioned, the d.j. in the bar where i was sitting, the other propably the owner of next bar. those are two central bars in the walking street. i will never come back to sit there, but still, they attacked him , and maybe robbed him, so casually, so outragously, that i

think of reporting it to the police, cause the deal they ofer is : "we will smack and beat any tourist we don't see right". question is, can i tell it to the police, maybe tourist police, without identifying myself?

And *they* won't remember *you*-- you who saw this and even spoke with them, and then the law comes down on them right after-- regardless of whether the police know who you are?

Again, how are you going to prove this when they insist nothing of the sort happened?

It may not be right, but as someone else said, why open a can of worms when nothing is likely to come of it anyway?

4 hours ago, Katia said:

And *they* won't remember *you*-- you who saw this and even spoke with them, and then the law comes down on them right after-- regardless of whether the police know who you are?

Again, how are you going to prove this when they insist nothing of the sort happened?

It may not be right, but as someone else said, why open a can of worms when nothing is likely to come of it anyway?

AS i mentioned, i am not a part in this case, just a witness.

and i don't care if "they" will remmeber me, cause i don't leave here,

i am just a tourist and propably will not come back to that city.

i just wonder, if i had to go to the police or just let it go...cause i 

did witness a crime...but that again, maybe one of "them" is really a police or

connected to corrupt policeman, and than i will be in trouble....

generally speaking, i wonder what to do in such case? to interfere, report

to police, or just to let go...i would'nt want everybody to stand and just

watch if someone will smack me repeatedly in the middle of the street...while

i am just a tourist...and than what does it say about thailand? that

a tourist can just get bitten like that in a busy street, and nobody 

will care ????

On 12/14/2018 at 3:43 PM, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

AS i mentioned, i am not a part in this case, just a witness.

and i don't care if "they" will remmeber me, cause i don't leave here,

i am just a tourist and propably will not come back to that city.

i just wonder, if i had to go to the police or just let it go...cause i 

did witness a crime...but that again, maybe one of "them" is really a police or

connected to corrupt policeman, and than i will be in trouble....

generally speaking, i wonder what to do in such case? to interfere, report

to police, or just to let go...i would'nt want everybody to stand and just

watch if someone will smack me repeatedly in the middle of the street...while

i am just a tourist...and than what does it say about thailand? that

a tourist can just get bitten like that in a busy street, and nobody 

will care ????

I would report what you saw and have the cops make a report. 

4 hours ago, Colabamumbai said:

I would report what you saw and have the cops make a report. 

Really? What are the chances of this cop paying a price for abusing his power? The only way that could possibly happen, is if someone filmed the entire event, posted it online, and it got millions of views. Then something might be done about it. Not to punish the cop. But, to make it look like they cared, due to losing face, and being humiliated and embarrassed on the world stage.

Never forget one thing about the Thai police. They are NOT law enforcement. They are franchisees. They are revenue collection. Most are above the law. 

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Really? What are the chances of this cop paying a price for abusing his power? The only way that could possibly happen, is if someone filmed the entire event, posted it online, and it got millions of views. Then something might be done about it. Not to punish the cop. But, to make it look like they cared, due to losing face, and being humiliated and embarrassed on the world stage.

Never forget one thing about the Thai police. They are NOT law enforcement. They are franchisees. They are revenue collection. Most are above the law. 

i am sure the whole event got caught on CCTV as it happaned right in the middle of the walking street.

i am also sure one the the two thai man was a policeman or connected to police.

the only one thing i am not sure is...should i report it or not?

and if not, than is this how i should feel in thailand?

that i can be smacked and slapped in the middle of a busy street, and

maybe robbed out of my cash, and nothing will be done about it?

nobody will care?

and we are all in the same boat.

15 minutes ago, Greyhat said:

Stay well out of it.

i am sure all people who saw it like me will stay well out of it.

i am not trying to be a hero or a saint here, just wonder

if there is nothing i can do about it, cause if i dont do about it,

than i accept the situation that i, as a tourist, can be smacked and robbed

in the middle of a busy walking street, and nobody will care. 

and than...what the hell am i doing here?

one funny thing in all this story, is that asian nerd tourist only crime was

to get too drunk. he was really so drunk and could not even walk straight, 

propably come from a safe country where people can walk drunk in the street,

and than the one attacks him is a ...bar owner !!

haha amazing thailand...

yet, not funny at all. makes me sick and tired of this country.

On 12/14/2018 at 5:32 AM, neeray said:

There's a lot of conjecture in your story. I don't think you really know what went down.

If I were you, I'd just leave it alone. I think it might be a bit late now to go to the police. Best not to wake them up.

why late? wake up whom?

it happaned just few days ago.

they must have the CCTV.

problem is, i am affraid to go to police and report it, as

i heard it can get me also in troubles, if only being forced

to stay in thailand as a witness, waiting for trial...

so my question , is there any way i can report this case 

online, or on phone, i can give them all details including

time and place, and they can search the CCTV if they wish.

You've witnessed a crime and you're probably a bit rattled by it, I understand that. If as you say there's CCTV footage the victim can decide whether or not he wants to file a police report. Carry yourself accordingly, don't get so drunk you lose control and you'll be fine mate. It's just one of those things.

2 minutes ago, Greyhat said:

You've witnessed a crime and you're probably a bit rattled by it, I understand that. If as you say there's CCTV footage the victim can decide whether or not he wants to file a police report. Carry yourself accordingly, don't get so drunk you lose control and you'll be fine mate. It's just one of those things.

well the thing is that the thai criminals picked up on this asian drunk man. knowing he will not call the police' either cause he is too drunk or that he is asian who is affraid of his wife.

so i wonder if i should do it, just to let the police know.

and even if someone gets so drunk, he does not deserve to be beaten like that.

You're absolutely right mate, it's disgusting and the poor lad has my full sympathy. As I say though, it's up to him to report it, you're not a better witness than a camera. As difficult as it may be just try to enjoy the rest of your holiday. This sort of thing can happen almost anywhere, hopefully it won't sour your opinion of Thailand too much.

• Maybe the drunk asian man attempted sexually assault or a lady or a man in the bar?

A bar owner isn't going to be lacking money so much that he needs to steal a little bit of cash from a mans wallet

There is probably more to this story which you didn't see what happened.

A bar owner isn't willing going to start robbing his own customers who are helping is business unless he has a good reason too...Its not worth reporting

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/28/2018 at 9:28 AM, ed strong said:

if it was Ibiza bar or the one opposite bar 69 then the owners are actually police or ex police.

I would just forget about it personally, you dont the whole story.

yes i will forget about it, but also will forget about holidaying in thailand. This case proved to me

how cheap is my life and security in thailand, and how easily i can be beaten and attacked in abusy  main street.

On 12/16/2018 at 8:48 AM, Greyhat said:

You're absolutely right mate, it's disgusting and the poor lad has my full sympathy. As I say though, it's up to him to report it, you're not a better witness than a camera. As difficult as it may be just try to enjoy the rest of your holiday. This sort of thing can happen almost anywhere, hopefully it won't sour your opinion of Thailand too much.

why are you hoping it will not sour my opinion of thailand too much? are

you the thai tourist minister? hua hin mayor? 

i don't think so. 

i think you are a tourist just like me, so you also should be worried about how easily

and confident you can be attacked in thailand's main street. by thai police or just man

who don't like how you walk / talk, cause they know they will not pay any price.

thanks but no, i will not come back to thailand.

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 10:28 AM, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

one funny thing in all this story, is that asian nerd tourist only crime was

to get too drunk. he was really so drunk and could not even walk straight, 

The guy was from South Asia, a.k.a. the Indian sub continent. I have seen a number of examples of Indians holidaying in Thailand and behaving completely inappropriately towards women, i.e. sexually assaulting them. It does sound like this was the case here. One of the Thais actually claimed this as the reason for the assault and the D.J. touching his backside, was either demonstrating the nature of the allegation or saying, "How do you like it, you dirty pervert?".

If you had seen the incident from the beginning, not just the end game, you would have probably thought that he got less than he deserved.

Another thing that I've seen before, Thai instant justice. Works for me.

To be honest, this sounds exactly like police behaviour (towards drunks who have been identified as causing trouble) in a bar area. The fact the dj came out of a bar to participate confirms this. They are all working the same area every day and they know each other and know who has what role. There are police doing the same thing in every bar area in Thailand. They generally don't muck around with arrests. They smack them in the head a few times usually wearing sovereign style rings or knuckledusters, then they empty the wallet leaving one or two notes.

55 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

yes i will forget about it, but also will forget about holidaying in thailand. This case proved to me

how cheap is my life and security in thailand, and how easily i can be beaten and attacked in abusy  main street.

Only if you behave very inappropriately. I have visited and lived here for a number of years. Never been assaulted by a Thai. There's almost always a reason behind them attacking a farang.

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

Only if you behave very inappropriately. I have visited and lived here for a number of years. Never been assaulted by a Thai. There's almost always a reason behind them attacking a farang.

i also visited thailand many times. and no, i don't think it is appropriate to beat people brutally in the middle of a busy street. especially when they are tourists. sure "there's allmost allways a reason behind them attacking a farang". but does it justify an attack on farang? do you accept living like that? like a second or third class person who can be beaten because of a "reason"? that's, to say the least, is a slave mentality. those smacks made me wake up. no more thailand holidays for me.

2 hours ago, tifino said:

if they were Ridgy Didge Police, then he'd have been 'taken away'

I am assuming, due lack of detail at the tail end; that he was left dumped where he lay?

i did not stay to watch until the end. i was so angry to see this that i just got up and left. 

the most outragous thing was, as mentioned, that those two thai man felt to comfortable to beat that tourist. they did not mind at all that they are attacking him in middle of the walking street, surrounded by tourists. it was as if they are saying : this is our country and we will smack the hell out of you if you do not behave the way we like. i am sure that one of them was a policeman / related to police, otherwise they would not dare. so no, thailand, this deal is not for me.

2 hours ago, Briggsy said:

To be honest, this sounds exactly like police behaviour (towards drunks who have been identified as causing trouble) in a bar area. The fact the dj came out of a bar to participate confirms this. They are all working the same area every day and they know each other and know who has what role. There are police doing the same thing in every bar area in Thailand. They generally don't muck around with arrests. They smack them in the head a few times usually wearing sovereign style rings or knuckledusters, then they empty the wallet leaving one or two notes.

yes , i heard many stories like that, i even have a friend who was allmost beaten to death, kicked in the head by four thai man (whom he claimed to be policeman, but i did not believe) in the middle of a busy street, middle of the day. the reason - a business dispute he had with another thai - chinese businessman.  but i never saw it. now that i saw it - i believe and feel very different about thailand.

Archived