'Trust me', Britain's May tells EU leaders she can get Brexit deal passed

webfact

'Trust me', Britain's May tells EU leaders she can get Brexit deal passed

By Elizabeth Piper

2018-12-13T224737Z_1_LYNXMPEEBC1WN_RTROPTP_4_EU-SUMMIT-ARRIVALS.JPG

British Prime Minister Theresa May arrives at a European Union leaders summit in Brussels, Belgium December 13, 2018. REUTERS/Piroschka van de Wouw

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - "Trust me," Prime Minister Theresa May told other European Union leaders on Thursday, saying that with their help, she could win the British parliament's backing for her Brexit deal and prevent a chaotic departure.

A day after a failed attempt to oust her by lawmakers in the governing Conservative Party, May told leaders of the other 27 EU members she believed there was majority in parliament for her Brexit deal, she just needed a little more from them.

May postponed a parliamentary vote on the deal this week for fear of suffering a resounding defeat and is asking the EU to help her find a way to break the deadlock over Brexit, Britain's biggest shift in trade and foreign policy for more than 40 years.

Asking for political and legal assurances that the so-called Northern Irish backstop would be temporary, May urged the leaders to look at her track record of delivering results even when the odds looked stacked against her.

"Over the last two years, I hope I have shown that you can trust me to do what is right, not always what is easy, however difficult that might be for me politically," she said, according to a senior British official.

Earlier, French President Emmanuel Macron said the legal agreement could not be reopened, adding: "We can't renegotiate what was negotiated for several months."

May said she believed there was "a majority in parliament who want to follow through on the referendum and leave with a negotiated deal" but asked for help in changing the perception that the backstop arrangement was a trap.

"I am in no doubt the best result for all of us is to get this deal delivered in an orderly way and to get it done now. It is in none of our interests to run the risk of an accidental no deal (exit) with all the disruption that would bring, or to allow this to drag on any further."

With less than four months before Britain is due to leave on March 29, May's deal agreed with the EU last month has only hardened positions at home, throwing up more uncertainty for businesses trying to predict what will happen next.

Scenarios range from Britain leaving without a deal to no Brexit at all, but May said all the uncertainty could come to an end if she secured the additional assurances -- including measures that have legal force -- on the backstop.

The backstop aims to ensure there is no return to controls on the border between the British province of Northern Ireland and the Irish Republic. However, it is the main stumbling block for lawmakers in London who fear Britain will become stuck in the fallback arrangement, hindering trade deals beyond the EU.

"We have to change the perception that the backstop could be a trap from which the UK could not escape. Until we do, the deal, our deal, is at risk," she said.

"There is a majority in my parliament who want to leave with a deal so with the right assurances this deal can be passed, indeed it is the only deal that is capable of getting through my parliament."

(Reporting by Elizabeth Piper; editing by David Stamp)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-12-14

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She is still trotting out the same platitudes. She is so caught up in her own importance.

She is supposed to be representing all of the people of Britain. She is supposed to be making the decisions to leave EU.

Except, all she does is travel to Europe to kowtow to the Eu officials that she love, she keeps dropping their names.

And the cost of her Brexit with free tours with all of her court, lobbyists and spongers is costing a fortune.

So I say to Ms May. man up. eeerrrr, sorry, just stay in Britain, tell Europe you are leaving and that is that. 

Leave them alone and they will come bleating to stay. Let them make the beal. But just do what the referendum said. LEAVE

21 minutes ago, Prissana Pescud said:

She is still trotting out the same platitudes. She is so caught up in her own importance.

She is supposed to be representing all of the people of Britain. She is supposed to be making the decisions to leave EU.

Except, all she does is travel to Europe to kowtow to the Eu officials that she love, she keeps dropping their names.

And the cost of her Brexit with free tours with all of her court, lobbyists and spongers is costing a fortune.

So I say to Ms May. man up. eeerrrr, sorry, just stay in Britain, tell Europe you are leaving and that is that. 

Leave them alone and they will come bleating to stay. Let them make the beal. But just do what the referendum said. LEAVE

She is supposed to be representing all of the people of Britain. She is supposed to be making the decisions to leave EU.

Those two are mutually exclusive.

51 minutes ago, Prissana Pescud said:

Maybe you missed it, but that is what she tries to do since two years.

The UK parliament and her own party can't make up their mind what they really want.

I agree with you she should stay in the UK. She should sort out the mess there or quit and let someone else do it.

The EU made their conditions clear and they never really changed. One condition is that they don't want a hard border in Ireland to avoid further trouble. Looking at history I think that makes a lot of sense.

18 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Correct me if I am wrong but May needs to relay what the voters back home in the United Kingdom want.
It does not count, what she can pass on behalf of the EU crooks. She needs to get the UK voice passed to the EU crooks. 

Which voters?

The vote was only marginally in favour of Brexit.

The divide remains entrenched with reliable indications that the public mood has shifted to remain.

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Which voters?

The divide remains entrenched with reliable indications that the public mood has shifted to remain.

Only in chompers mind is 1.7 million voters "marginal", tell you what, why don't you do their washing for a week, you'll see how marginal they are.

25 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Which voters?

Check the reliability of your sources.

On a recent trip to the UK, I heard from more remain voters who would switch to 'leave'  -  solely because of the way the EU has treated the UK in the negotiations.

I didn't meet one leave voter who said they would vote differently.

EVERYONE I spoke to (remain or leave) was dissatisfied with the way the way the government (and EU) had handled the process.

18 minutes ago, vogie said:

Only in chompers mind is 1.7 million voters "marginal", tell you what, why don't you do their washing for a week, you'll see how marginal they are.

Mathematics not your strong point then.

‘Marginally in favour’ is a reference to the difference between the votes.

The difference was marginal.

1 minute ago, Jip99 said:

Check the reliability of your sources.

On a recent trip to the UK, I heard from more remain voters who would switch to 'leave'  -  solely because of the way the EU has treated the UK in the negotiations.

I didn't meet one leave voter who said they would vote differently.

EVERYONE I spoke to (remain or leave) was dissatisfied with the way the way the government (and EU) had handled the process.

I have no idea who you spoke with, but my guess it was people within your own social circle - by definition not a representative sample of anything beyond your social circle.

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

She is supposed to be representing all of the people of Britain. She is supposed to be making the decisions to leave EU.

Those two are mutually exclusive.

True.

I should have said, the majority voted to leave the EU and she is supposed to facilitate this in order to to represent the majority of all of Britain.

As such she should be doing this instead of swaning around Europe and blustering and trotting out the same old polititical platitudes that have no substance.

Ms May represents a tight knit group of lobbyists, spongers and hangers on. 

Her own party will not support what she has presidentially invoked - but these same flubbermouths say they have "full confidence" in her.

She leads a shameful political party. There not only needs to be another properly worded vote, firstly there needs to be a general election.

10 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Mathematics not your strong point then.

‘Marginally in favour’ is a reference to the difference between the votes.

The difference was marginal.

I wondered how long it would be before the insults ensued, 2 posts, well done.

I think the remainers would have been quite happy with a massive 1.7 million difference, do you think you would be singing from a different song sheet if the result had gone the other way.

Figures can be anything you want them to be, hence you using a word like marginal. Try to be more definitive and say 1.7 Million.

Is this Theresa May who said trust me on the following.

No deal is better than a bad deal.

We will be leaving the EU in March 2019.

We will be leaving the CU and SM.

We will be taking control of the fishing waters.

We will not be having a second referendum no matter what happens.

We will respect the result of the referendum and take the UK out of the EU

Yes TM we trust you as far as we can throw you!!!

You don't need to have a grammar school education or a university degree to know that she has always been a remainer. Her goal has always been to keep the UK in the EU, which is so transparent to anyone who has a bit of common sense. She has attempted and is succeeding in 'botching' the negotiations so eventually she will either call for a second referendum with the option of taking her deal (which is staying in the EU) or staying completely in the EU.

I am glad I don't live in the UK anymore seeing this pitiful political class we have now. I am ashamed that it seems that it needs something drastic to prevent this 'EU stooge' from overturning the referendum.

Watching and contributing on this forum (I haven't lately) has been interesting and also quite sad for so many reasons.

I have heard, since the referendum result in 2016 terms like soft and hard Brexit WTH are these!  Terms made up to thwart the result which everyone knew was about, despite the hapless continuation that some posters claim regarding the leavers mentality, education, religion, ethnicity and political view.

My sympathy goes out to those who will continue to live in the UK or those who will move back. if this is the best that is on offer. I pity the state of the UK and will watch the EU to continue to swallow it up and make it into a clone of the rest of Europe.

My prediction for Theresa May. She will continue to do the EU's bidding and keep the UK in the EU. She will resign in 2022 before the next election. Then get made a Dame and collect a fat salary from the House of Lords and giving speeches for ridiculous amounts of money. What a disgrace.

3 hours ago, Prissana Pescud said:

Most people would prefer to remain

EU are being entirely reasonable

BTW, the costs associated with discussions are peanuts. Moaning about that identifies you as a Brexiter who think everything is expensive

1 hour ago, Sydebolle said:

Correct me if I am wrong but May needs to relay what the voters back home in the United Kingdom want.
It does not count, what she can pass on behalf of the EU crooks. She needs to get the UK voice passed to the EU crooks. 

You are wrong

The UK parliament should decide what is in the best interest of the British people.

THEN take that to the EU

It is embarrassing to ask the Germans and the French what to do ????

There re should be no Chrustmas for parliament until proper decisions are taken. Parliament is sovereign

29 minutes ago, vogie said:

I wondered how long it would be before the insults ensued, 2 posts, well done.

I think the remainers would have been quite happy with a massive 1.7 million difference, do you think you would be singing from a different song sheet if the result had gone the other way.

Figures can be anything you want them to be, hence you using a word like marginal. Try to be more definitive and say 1.7 Million.

I’d say 1.7 million but that would be utter hogwash, an inflated number you made up.

https://www.bbc.com/news/politics/eu_referendum/results

Figures can indeed mean anything you want them to

mean, when you dream them up.

52 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I have no idea who you spoke with, but my guess it was people within your own social circle - by definition not a representative sample of anything beyond your social circle.

Once again you know nothing and make typical Remoaner assumptions.

Age group was 20 to 75 and socio-economic groupings covered A through to E.

I would be interested to understand why retired military types are uniformly anti EU. All bright people know that, on balance, it is sensible to remain. Is a military pension not good enough? There was a lunch for retired "Ruperts" at The British Club yesterday and the ones I spoke to were onboard with the EU. So what is it all about? Not enough battles?

14 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Once again you know nothing and make typical Remoaner assumptions.

Age group was 20 to 75 and socio-economic groupings covered A through to E.

And either you went around talking to a random sample of people or you spoke with people in your own social circle who happen to

be “Age group was 20 to 75 and socio-economic groupings covered A through to E.”

I was in the U.K. last month, most people I spoke with were worried about losing their jobs and/or the state of the NHS.

I met a bunch of old colleagues who’s jobs are under threat and I spent time visiting someone who is seriously ill.

Two biased groups from my own social circle.

That’s how bias works and why your anecdotes, like my own, may be  interesting but they are not informative.

1 minute ago, Grouse said:

I would be interested to understand why retired military types are uniformly anti EU. All bright people know that, on balance, it is sensible to remain. Is a military pension not good enough? There was a lunch for retired "Ruperts" at The British Club yesterday and the ones I spoke to were onboard with the EU. So what is it all about? Not enough battles?

As one of those you write about; I am anti the EU precisely because it is undemocratic, corrupt (accounts not certified in many years) and run by old men who are still living in fear of Germany and the outcome of WW2. I didn't vote for Tusk, nobody did.  I didn't vote for any of the Commission who run the thing, nobody did and the last thing I want is the UK to be part of a super state.  I didn't serve the country for 26 years to see it subsumed into a paranoid, undemocratic Europe.  The UK has always been apart from Europe, even the Romans failed to unite us with the mainland 2,000 years ago,  and hopefully i will remain so. That's why I am and will always remain, anti EU. Out without a deal would be a great result.  I will live with the hit on the pound.  

48 minutes ago, Grouse said:

You are wrong

The UK parliament should decide what is in the best interest of the British people.

THEN take that to the EU

It is embarrassing to ask the Germans and the French what to do ????

There re should be no Chrustmas for parliament until proper decisions are taken. Parliament is sovereign

well,

sovereign parliament? it looks pretty much as if the parliament is under the heel of your unelected PM

now parliament will sit and play with their thumbs for about 5 weeks until TM comes back to

parliament with the deal

seems nobody in UK takes responsibility

fancy that, going to Brussels hoping to beauty up deal or political cover with some reassuring language

and not having a clue of what language could be used

never seen anything like this in my life before

37 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Unlike you, the "military types" swore an oath to preserve and protect GB.

Not be subservient to Germany and the crock that makes up the rest of the EU.

You disparage those that protect GB from Europe. Shame on you

Archived