'Trust me', Britain's May tells EU leaders she can get Brexit deal passed

webfact

41 minutes ago, tebee said:

As a remainer I'm not ever sure I want May on my side. She's a small minded nasty piece of work and a xenophobe.

The crappy deal is more down to her lack of negotiating prowess, interpersonal skills and personal biases resulting in the red lines. She only ended up being prime minister because the better, more intelligent people recognized what a poison chalice brexit is.         

"As a remainer I'm not ever sure I want May on my side. She's a small minded nasty piece of work and a xenophobe.

The crappy deal is more down to her lack of negotiating prowess, interpersonal skills and personal biases resulting in the red lines."

What on earth makes you believe this?  Genuine question re. your firs para.

The second para. is the continuing argument on this forum.  Was she lying when saying that "no deal was better than a bad deal" - or does she genuinely believe that her deal is a 'good deal' ????.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/15/2018 at 4:13 PM, Grouse said:

I just finessed you

Of course I didn't know whether the referendum was binding or not!

We have all learned many things over the past couple years. Me too.

And that is why we need a second referendum to see what people think now that they know so much more.

You walked straight into my trap. SNAP. 

And precisely what do we know that we didn't know previously?

That those with a vested interested in the status quo are still proclaiming 'armagedon' in the event of the uk leaving??

No-one can know what will happen in the future - which is why the 'experts' and other biased parties were proven so wrong after the referendum result.....

They're moving the goalposts and hoping that the continuing fear campaign will work.

Back to the point - we know nothing now that we didn't know before  - other than that the eu knows that uk politicians are looking for a way to remain within the eu -so are helping them by refusing to negotiate....

3 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Everyone to their own.

Personally, I think anyone that volunteers (unless they're the Sandhurst type who are unlikely to ever be in the line of fire....) are extremely stupid.

Admittedly they may learn some useful skills that will serve them in civilian life - but on the other hand they may well die serving their 'masters' - who are only serving political aims....

But of course this is entirely off-topic - and deserves a thread of it's own in perhaps, the General forum?

Good job the generation  of the 1940s didn't have your opinion otherwise we would all be speaking German. You rm comment about Army officers from Sandhurst is ill informed and insulting. 

49 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

The worst 'argument' yet - as everyone (at the time) accepted that the referendum result would be binding.

With great respect, it would seem some people do not understand the difference between the law of the land and what a politician says.

One on the things I liked about Britain was that it was a constitutional democracy that cared about the rule of law and due process and not some tinpot dictatorship where our great leader could change the constitution on a whim.

Now brexiter seem to be happy to throw away 700 years of law and precedence if it will help their cause. You need to worry about the implications of what you want at later dates and in other circumstances. If comrade Corbyn says we will confiscate  the assets of the rich and then gets elected, would you want that to be the law without any further discussion ?   

Brexit seems to be so much of a cult  that it's adherents seem to be happy to throw all that is good in this country away to achieve their nirvana.  

3 hours ago, SheungWan said:

If Theresa May wanted the worst possible deal she would be a Hard Brexiteer.

2 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

No deal is better than a bad deal comes to mind.

That IS the worst possible deal. Maybe I should have put it in big fonts for some of the Brexit guys to understand.

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

Good job the generation  of the 1940s didn't have your opinion otherwise we would all be speaking German. You rm comment about Army officers from Sandhurst is ill informed and insulting. 

Sorry nauseus, I've always made it clear that I'm not 'patriotic' - and only care about the lowest segments of society, not the wealthiest.

FWIW, my brother in law was an officer in the navy - and a complete knob and snob....  Which is why even my husband had no time for him.

35 minutes ago, tebee said:

With great respect, it would seem some people do not understand the difference between the law of the land and what a politician says.

One on the things I liked about Britain was that it was a constitutional democracy that cared about the rule of law and due process and not some tinpot dictatorship where our great leader could change the constitution on a whim.

Now brexiter seem to be happy to throw away 700 years of law and precedence if it will help their cause. You need to worry about the implications of what you want at later dates and in other circumstances. If comrade Corbyn says we will confiscate  the assets of the rich and then gets elected, would you want that to be the law without any further discussion ?   

Brexit seems to be so much of a cult  that it's adherents seem to be happy to throw all that is good in this country away to achieve their nirvana.  

Do you honestly think the parliamentary system is good and working?

If so, you must think our politicians are trustworthy, intelligent, knowledgeable and represent their constituents???

This is obviously not the case as shown in the referendum....!

4 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Do you genuinely believe that the electorate (including yourself) believed that the referendum was only advisory?

Bearing in mind that not only had the PM Cameron stated the opposite, and frequently declared on TV the 'consequences' of a leave vote - but the govt. had also sent out a leaflet to every household promoting remain, whilst also promising that the vote would be respected???

As you may have noticed, I have ceased being rude to Brexiters; Out of pity.

This went straight over your head. Of course I didn't know referendums were advisory. I have learnt that fact along with many, many others.

It is you super knowledgeable Brexiters who knew everything.  And therefore a referendum on May's deal is pointless 

Do you understand now?

4 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

What is wrong with you?

Why are you unable to respect that others have a different experience of life, and a different opinion??

You object to my statement?

Why?

I am trying to be kind; empathetic even 

Just now, Grouse said:

As you may have noticed, I have ceased being rude to Brexiters; Out of pity.

This went straight over your head. Of course I didn't know referendums were advisory. I have learnt that fact along with many, many others.

It is you super knowledgeable Brexiters who knew everything.  And therefore a referendum on May's deal is pointless 

Do you understand now?

Good grief, you are still pursuing the 'I know more than you' line - with sarcasm on top!

Not that I object to sarcasm when it's deserved, but you are using it as you have no other argument....

10 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Good grief, you are still pursuing the 'I know more than you' line - with sarcasm on top!

Not that I object to sarcasm when it's deserved, but you are using it as you have no other argument....

Nope. You are entirely incorrect

I merely wished to make the point that we are now older and very much more knowledgeable than in 2016.

you can do a PhD in 2 years

Now we should find out what people REALLY think.

If that's OK with you?

Just now, Grouse said:

Nope. You are entirely incorrect

I merely wished to make the point that we are now older and very much more knowledgeable than in 2016.

you can do a PhD in 2 years

Now we should find out what people REALLY think.

If that's OK with you?

We're not more knowledgeable, other than knowing that the pre-referendum propaganda was nothing other than lies.

Since then, we have been subjected to two years of propaganda about the future.  No facts, as no-one can predict the future, they can only provide biased forecasts.

And please give up on your condescending tone..... it doesn't work and just shows your lack of intelligence.

"As a remainer I'm not ever sure I want May on my side. She's a small minded nasty piece of work and a xenophobe.

The crappy deal is more down to her lack of negotiating prowess, interpersonal skills and personal biases resulting in the red lines."

What on earth makes you believe this?  Genuine question re. your firs para.

The second para. is the continuing argument on this forum.  Was she lying when saying that "no deal was better than a bad deal" - or does she genuinely believe that her deal is a 'good deal' ????.

First para

From her time at the Home office

Exhibit one : the hostile environment 

Exhibit two : Government wasted thousands of pounds appealing immigration cases they had lost and had no chance of winning. This is about separating spouse and parents and children we are talking about - who but a nasty person would want to do this ?

I was following these carefully because at the time I was thinking about taking my wife and son back to the UK.

Only anecdotally, but she had a bad reputation with the civil servants there,  they tried to avoid her as she lacked both intelligence and interpersonal skills. 

Second Para - I think she genuinely believes she has bought the best possible deal back, but that is because her one aim - based on her dislike of immigration - has been to end FOM without completely wrecking the economy. So she's settled for just wrecking the profitable parts, whille doing a few things to help the more visible parts like manufacturing. 

Every move she has made has been wrong. She has shown no empathy or understanding of the European position, but played to the gallery in her own country. She obviously believes what she reads in the UK media . She has been trying to negotiate with her own county not the EU. 

5 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Sorry nauseus, I've always made it clear that I'm not 'patriotic' - and only care about the lowest segments of society, not the wealthiest.

FWIW, my brother in law was an officer in the navy - and a complete knob and snob....  Which is why even my husband had no time for him.

The Self-proclaimed Unpatriotic Hard Brexiteer Who Says They Used To Sit On The Fence (+ The Brother-In-Law Spin Bonus)

Archived