มะพร้าวแก้ผ้า

tgeezer

This sign on the side of one of those fruit sellers ‘*fish tank’ obscuring the things inside which I assumed to be coconuts naturally. I asked the lady why ผ้า and the word เปรียบ was in the reply, unfortunately I cannot say how she put it but that is the stage I am at, one word says it all! I love the dictionary and wonder if I might substitute *โดยปริยาย which seems to mean , not literally, by extension, etc.

Anyway I purchased two for 60Bt. each way overpriced as I was later told but understandable since I was a wealthy farang and this particular ซุ้ม never has been a money earner for the various renters over the years. It turned out to be a coconut missing its shell (กะลา) inside a *plastic tub with a *domed lid and served with plastic *knife and fork(มีดกับส้อม) and a straw (หลอด) with which to suck out the *juice (นำ้ /กะทิ) .

Interesting words แก้ผ้า แก้เสื้อผ้า แก้ปม แก้เงื่อน แก้ไขนาฬิกา เปลือยกาย เปลือยอก (*topless).

I would appreciate comments on any of this, * shows what I think people might like to comment on.

eg. would you simply describe the coconut water or would you use กะทิ which is the juice squeezed (*บีบ/คั่น) from the ground up meat?

ขูดเนื้อมะพร้าวมาแล้วบีบเพื่อมีกะทิ /ทำกะทิ

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

That is very popular. I have never had it pointed out that it wasn't เปาะเปี๊ยะ (spring roll). After a little research I see that ห่ม is used to cover, blanket =ผ้าห่ม, ห่มสไบ cover one shoulder and the breast . So ห่ม indicates partially covered, the tail is uncovered.
This brings me to a similar verb ห่อ in ผัดไทยห่อไข่ (omelette stuffed with ผัดไทย) is how I would put it but it actually means ผัดไทย wrapped in egg. I have never paid much attention to how it's done.

Finally I remember enough to be able to unravel some Thai with the help of the dictionary.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

...and on informing the driver taking us to ชัยนาท of my discovery I am told that กุ้งห่มผ้า is the name of a restaurant and we eat เปาะเปี๊ยะกุ้ง !
Ha ha, everyone has an opinion I suppose.
Do you think that he could be correct?

• 3 weeks later...

confused about what is to discuss... I knew exactly what you were talking about from the title description. Yes it is a bit of marketing, but there is no standardized word for this “fad” way of selling coconuts. Which worked by the way on you, the seller turned their 5 baht value wholesale coconut into a 60 baht sale, a 1200% return, by a bit of skill and marketing.

Now here is the “fad” reason, this stage of coconut where the meat is soft but still firm enough to remove from shell whole without puncturing, is not the best stage of coconut. In fact a very disappointing stage... About a month before this the meat and juice would be sweetest. And I would even wait 1-2 months after this to harvest carbonated
if for personal use.

The technique for making this naked coconut is demonstrated on youtube, search for มีดเขาควาย

As for that meat from your coconuts will
have very low milk yield without the oily taste of mature meat. You can add some of that meat to a batch of correctly aged meat to sweeten it a bit.

Thank you. I think that my initial post is shot through with discussion points at many levels from simple nouns equivalent words 'fishtank' and ซุ้ม through more complex questions, the meaning of โดยปริยาย, to the use of แก้ผ้า 'take off clothes' used as an adjective เปลือยกาย . Some of these I have suggested as discussion points, '*' and suggesting a few other uses แก่.
Digbeth posted a related item which I tried to develop.
This is just language which I discover and feel worth sharing.
Here is a follow up which I didn't post.

No apology for posting it because if I didn't the forum would die
กะทิ and กล้วย came up again on the way home. We stopped for lunch at a restaurant called ครัวริมชล (Riverside kitchen.) *Seven of us, you can't eat authentic Thai food with fewer than five people*, and when we finishing, a lady management or owner, brought in a tray with seven dishes of ขนม. I wasn't sure so I asked if it was free, and I was told ขนม&£¥**# , I am sure that you have all encountered that problem. I delved deeper and it was explained that there was no correction of my asking ขนมแถนไหม they were simply saying not ขนมแถม but ขนมบวกชี ; boiled banana in coconut milk, and gets its name from the female Buddhist nun who wears white, the sweet being white in colour.

confused about what is to discuss... I knew exactly what you were talking about from the title description. Yes it is a bit of marketing, but there is no standardized word for this “fad” way of selling coconuts. Which worked by the way on you, the seller turned their 5 baht value wholesale coconut into a 60 baht sale, a 1200% return, by a bit of skill and marketing.

Now here is the “fad” reason, this stage of coconut where the meat is soft but still firm enough to remove from shell whole without puncturing, is not the best stage of coconut. In fact a very disappointing stage... About a month before this the meat and juice would be sweetest. And I would even wait 1-2 months after this to harvest carbonated

if for personal use.

The technique for making this naked coconut is demonstrated on youtube, search for มีดเขาควาย

As for that meat from your coconuts will

have very low milk yield without the oily taste of mature meat. You can add some of that meat to a batch of correctly aged meat to sweeten it a bit.

Now in answer to your post.

There is heaps to discuss in those videos.

One titled "ปอกมะเพร้าหอม ชั้นเทพ (buffalo knife)"

There will be people who try to see buffalo knife in the title and we could discuss why it isn't there but in the first video the title is a full description and again the english is not a translationI "peel coconut tree"!

This is the sort of thing which interests me. why the knife is called "buffalo horn knife"?

In the commentary changing to knives is described as เปียนอาวุด which is strange but typical. We might do the same in English if the task seemed challenging.

Additionally there is no Thai in your post, you seem to know a lot about coconuts so explanation of กะทิ and นำ้มะเพร้า would be interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I forgot to mention, how to translate ชั้นเทพ I looked it up and see that it is a สมณศักดิ์ which I also looked up.
It seems to me that it is awarded for a level of knowledge in the priesthood. ชั้นสามัญ ชั้นราช ชั้นเทพ ชั้นธรรม there may be more!
One of the comments สูดยอดค่ะ เก่งมากเลยค่ะ shows another way of putting it I think.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Thanks it wasn't so noticeable in the first film but I watched a few more videos several demos one using a plastic imitation.
Saw a chap selling at the roadside calling that form มัเพร้อาถอดเสื้อ too. A more direct name is มะเพร้าคว้าน .

Archived