Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

"Thailand is safe" - police tell tourists after cop guns down Frenchman in cold blood


webfact

Recommended Posts

"Thailand is safe" - police tell tourists after cop guns down Frenchman in cold blood

 

4pm.jpg

 

An RTP spokesman has attempted to reassure tourists that Thailand is safe and visitors to the kingdom can have confidence in the force.

 

The statements come after a Lumpini policeman gunned down a French tourist at the Trendy Building and Plaza in Sukhumvit Road, Bangkok, on Wednesday. 

 

Kantapong Huadsri is in custody after he shot Malik Djamel, 41, in the chest and head outside Dunkin' Donuts. 

 

The pair had earlier had a fist fight in nearby Soi 11/1 before a chase ensued.

 

Spokesmen Pol Col Krissana Patanacharoen said that the incident was a personal conflict and only the one man was involved. A motorcycle rider who took him to the scene of the crime was not involved. 

 

He admitted that the crime was grave and apologized to the family of the victim on behalf of the Royal Thai Police. He said that no bail was allowed and that no favors would be shown to the officer involved. 

 

He added in a direct message to tourists: "You can have confidence in the Thai police. I want to tell all tourists - Thailand is safe.

 

"We will do everything to ensure your safety and convenience while in the country".

 

He specifically mentioned that there were likely to be many visitors at Christmas and New Year and reiterated safety for all people coming to Thailand. 

 

He further asked the Thai people to act as the eyes and ears in helping the Thai police in their aims.

 

And he gave a strong message to station chiefs to make sure that officers under their command are behaving themselves. 

 

Source: Daily News

 
thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-12-14
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on current topics in the news sections on here, I would say Thailand is safe as long as you avoid:

1. swimming pools

2. jet-skis

3. any interaction with Thais

 

So based on the above I expect to have no trouble at all.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Based on current topics in the news sections on here, I would say Thailand is safe as long as you avoid:

1. swimming pools

2. jet-skis

3. any interaction with Thais

 

So based on the above I expect to have no trouble at all.

 

4. Balconies

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, webfact said:

"You can have confidence in the Thai police. I want to tell all tourists - Thailand is safe.

Couple of issues with that statement. From my experience you cannot have confidence in the Thai police, who will screw you over at the drop of a hat. Counting up the number of foreigners dead in the last 12 months, would also suggest that the second half of the statement is rubbish too. Thailand is a very dangerous place. Fun yes, but also definitely not what you can reliably call safe.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nowhere in the world is 'safe'- look at the Thai tourist who was killed in Strasbourg having decided not to visit Paris due to the unrest. This was a random act which can happen anywhere. I do take umbrage at 'trusting the Thai police' though- but that is in general, not based on the actions of an off duty cop.

 

it doesn't stop the knee-jerk Thaigeezer reactions though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Nowhere in the world is 'safe'- look at the Thai tourist who was killed in Strasbourg having decided not to visit Paris due to the unrest. This was a random act which can happen anywhere.

I see a significant difference between being shot by a random maniac and being shot by a maniacal armed policeman with a record of gun offences. The latter is very unlikely to happen in Europe.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe all those scared tourists should stay home. Best case they stay inside their houses and make sure they die at old age in their beds.

Going out on the street is dangerous, traffic is dangerous, planes crash, and let's not forget accidents in kitchens all over the world.

 

I never know if I should laugh or cry when I read that people are scared of x which might happen to 1 in a million people. But the same people do y and z all the time with a lot higher risk...

Link to post
Share on other sites

A more comprehensive list..

1 roads

2 the sea or pools

3 balconies 

4 thais

5 disease 

6 pesticides-herbicides in most food

7 asbestos in building

8 electricity

9 police

10 caves,jungle,elephants,snakes,spider and anything else with legs and teeth

11 dodgy expats

12 dodgy tourists

From stepping off the plane you have entered a very dangerous country and if you make it back home without an incident you should consider yourself very lucky.

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, webfact said:

Pol Col Krissana Patanacharoen said that the incident was a personal conflict and only the one man was involved

That is clearly not true. The CCTV shows that the policeman had assistance in the initial fracas and another person handed him the gun to carry out the cold blooded murder.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, madmen said:

The safest place in the world not to get shot would be the north pole

But then you have polar bears.

There is no "safe" anywhere

Such meaningless drivel.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Apologist nonsense.
How is it "apologist"? The comment is true in that crime happens everywhere. New Zealand might be considered relatively safe, but a young backpacker was recently murdered in Auckland.

Pointing out the crime and accidents are not unique to Thailand is not apologising for anything. No one is going to claim Thailand is completely safe as it would be ridiculous to do so, particularly if you include the horrendous road traffic accident rate. But the vast majority of tourists and expats do not experience crime and the likelihood of it happening is no different to other countries with high numbers of tourists, unless they happen to mix with disreputable people or indulge in criminal activities.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

A more comprehensive list..

1 roads

2 the sea or pools

3 balconies 

4 thais

5 disease 

6 pesticides-herbicides in most food

7 asbestos in building

8 electricity

9 police

10 caves,jungle,elephants,snakes,spider and anything else with legs and teeth

11 dodgy expats

12 dodgy tourists

From stepping off the plane you have entered a very dangerous country and if you make it back home without an incident you should consider yourself very lucky.

Yeah, and then a terrorist will blow you into pieces.

We all die, get used to it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
A more comprehensive list..
1 roads
2 the sea or pools
3 balconies 
4 thais
5 disease 
6 pesticides-herbicides in most food
7 asbestos in building
8 electricity
9 police
10 caves,jungle,elephants,snakes,spider and anything else with legs and teeth
11 dodgy expats
12 dodgy tourists
From stepping off the plane you have entered a very dangerous country and if you make it back home without an incident you should consider yourself very lucky.
Dude what are you doing in Thailand. You should be dead by now
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, madmen said:

I repeat there is NO safe anywhere. Please humor us and tell us the murder free countries?
Take your time now it's not a trick question

There may be no danger free countries, but there was little chance of being shot (by anyone) in my small hometown in Cornwall. London was more fun, but also more risk.

You just need to compare the 'fun Vs risk' of anywhere, and I decided to risk the danger of early death for the availability of cheap wimmin. 

As did the French guy, the girl with him in the bar CCTV looked worth the risk.

 

I suspect the French guy (victim blaming) played a part in his own demise, by acting in a possessive western (Muslim?) way with the girl. Thais are usually easily placated when there is a dispute over a woman, buy them a drink or two, stop handling the women, and they are your new best friend, and will probably give you the girl. Start a 'she's mine, hands off' confrontation, and you're in trouble.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes Thailand is safe, that is if you compare it to say, Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, Caracas, Venezuela, Cape Town, South Africa, Gaza, Sanaa Yemen, and other "fun" places, it''s all in the context of the word Safe...

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

How is it "apologist"? The comment is true in that crime happens everywhere. New Zealand might be considered relatively safe, but a young backpacker was recently murdered in Auckland.

The problem here is that the Police are involved in corruption, extortion, drugs and other criminal activities, so to expect them to be responsible for ones safety or to uphold the law is a nonsense, whereas in other countries there is the rare "bad cop".............that's the difference.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, madmen said:
18 minutes ago, happy chappie said:
A more comprehensive list..
1 roads
2 the sea or pools
3 balconies 
4 thais
5 disease 
6 pesticides-herbicides in most food
7 asbestos in building
8 electricity
9 police
10 caves,jungle,elephants,snakes,spider and anything else with legs and teeth
11 dodgy expats
12 dodgy tourists
From stepping off the plane you have entered a very dangerous country and if you make it back home without an incident you should consider yourself very lucky.

Dude what are you doing in Thailand. You should be dead by now

Oh and I forgot.any farang  that calls someone a 'DUDE'

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...