"Thailand is safe" - police tell tourists after cop guns down Frenchman in cold blood

webfact

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, madmen said:

Thailand top of the list for me regarding safety
You best just stay in your room and you should be OK. emoji122.png

Thailand is top of your list regarding safety.expect a bit of stick for that one.i take it you have been lucky but every minute is a countdown for your first incident/accident.oh and yes we do all know there are dangerous places other than Thailand thanks.

10 minutes ago, xylophone said:

The problem here is that the Police are involved in corruption, extortion, drugs and other criminal activities, so to expect them to be responsible for ones safety or to uphold the law is a nonsense, whereas in other countries there is the rare "bad cop".............that's the difference.

I beg to differ, nearly all cops are 'bad cops' given the chance.

Their only check, is fear of losing their job.

The problem here is that the Police are involved in corruption, extortion, drugs and other criminal activities, so to expect them to be responsible for ones safety or to uphold the law is a nonsense, whereas in other countries there is the rare "bad cop".............that's the difference.
Yes that is certainly true in less developed countries where police are inadequately paid or managed and where political corruption is rife. I can only write from my own experience, but I certainly feel safer in the 14 years I've been living here, than I did in London (obviously excluding the incredibly dangerous roads here!).

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Thailand is top of your list regarding safety.expect a bit of stick for that one.i take it you have been lucky but every minute is a countdown for your first incident/accident.oh and yes we do all know there are dangerous places other than Thailand thanks.
10 years in bangkok, roamed the sois at all hours of the night and never ever got any trouble from thais. So I speak from experience
Oh there were a few crotch grabs when lady boys were a lot thicker on lower Sukhumvit

Must be dreadful for the expats living in fear. What a way to live out your golden years.

4 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Yes that is certainly true in less developed countries where police are inadequately paid or managed and where political corruption is rife. I can only write from my own experience, but I certainly feel safer in the 14 years I've been living here, than I did in London (obviously excluding the incredibly dangerous roads here!).

Yes I agre with you about London but I can say I would rather fight a armed London copper than a armed Thai copper.

I totally agree!

Just don't use the roads, as a pedestrian, a driver or a passenger!

Oh...and stay away from any confrontation with a taxi- or Tuk Tuk - driver!

Ah...I almost forgot: don't go to Koh Tao, if you are young and blonde and a woman and like to wear bikinis!

And the safety- features here...also not that good! You know: fire escapes and life- vests and stuff...!

And of course, you should avoid the RTP, like the plague!

And of course watch what you say and who you criticize at any given time, if you like your life, outside of a prison!

Oh...also...never ever drink tap- water!

...well...guess, I don't agree that much, come to think about it!

1 hour ago, webfact said:

An RTP spokesman has attempted to reassure tourists that Thailand is safe and visitors to the kingdom can have confidence in the force.

At the end of the day what is this spokesperson supposed to say?  That Thailand is one of the most dangerous and lawless tourist destinations on the planet?  That would basically be admitting that the Thai police aren't very efficient at carrying out their duties... and that can't possibly be true, can it?

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

I see a significant difference between being shot by a random maniac and being shot by a maniacal armed policeman with a record of gun offences. The latter is very unlikely to happen in Europe.

I dont. The guy was off duty. But here, if he had been a Motocy dude: all MC dudes are bad. Security guard: bad. Bar girl: bad.

The killer was just as as*hat who got into a fight. I dont even understand why the BIBs apologized.

10 minutes ago, madmen said:

10 years in bangkok, roamed the sois at all hours of the night and never ever got any trouble from thais. So I speak from experience
Oh there were a few crotch grabs when lady boys were a lot thicker on lower Sukhumvit

Must be dreadful for the expats living in fear. What a way to live out your golden years.

The only fear I have is being around any Thai with a gun or steering wheel.apart from that I just watch every step I take out here and I would call that being careful,not fear.

2 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

I dont. The guy was off duty. But here, if he had been a Motocy dude: all MC dudes are bad. Security guard: bad. Bar girl: bad.

The killer was just as as*hat who got into a fight. I dont even understand why the BIBs apologized.

Off duty by clock but not by mentality.being a copper is the same as being a doctor,fireman,lifeguard,charity worker,vicar etc.

Let's make a choice.  Shall I:

Travel to Thailand.  Acquire a "girlfriend".  Go drinking with a policeman (reportedly, not for the first time either), until 07:00.  Punch the policeman to the ground after he looks at my "girlfriend" in a funny way.  Get shot by said policeman.

Or:

Travel to the US.  Walk around in a public space in broad daylight.  Get shot by some nutter with an assault rifle?

Hmm. Tricky.

A lie in a headline!  

Wasn't too safe for that tourist.

The victim wasn't a tourist. He had been drinking with the murderer whom he knew. They both "knew" the girl involved. Not exactly a situation likely to happen to many tourists.

59 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Yes Thailand is safe, that is if you compare it to say, Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, Caracas, Venezuela, Cape Town, South Africa, Gaza, Sanaa Yemen, and other "fun" places, it''s all in the context of the word Safe...

But Sanaa will get better and hopefully back to normal eventually (well i hope) i have many friends there oh and a bank account with few bob in it , wonder if thats still kicking around?

Archived