Thai man, 70, escapes serious injury as BMW overturns in Lampang

webfact

Thai man, 70, escapes serious injury as BMW overturns in Lampang

5pm.jpg

Our picture today shows what happened when a 70 year old dozed off behind the wheel of his BMW.

The man - unnamed in the Sanook report - said he was on his way home to Lampang from Chiang Mai.

He nodded off and in the blink of an eye he had hit a tree and ended up overturned on some old concrete pipes.

This woke him up, he said, and remarkably he was able to crawl out with just minor injuries. 

He then called insurance to deal with the matter. 

The accident occurred in Hang Chat district on the Chiang Mai to Lampang "Super Highway" 500 meters from a PTT gas station. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-12-14

10 minutes ago, Phuketshrew said:

Does insurance cover falling asleep at the wheel?

Ours did when my GF fell asleep behind the wheel with me next to her... I just had time to scream an curse before we hit the concrete pilar. Things can go real fast. This was during the day on a short ride, just a few km from our home.

2 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

Does insurance cover falling asleep at the wheel?

I would have have thought it should be declared on the insurance application form, and therefore excluded:

Narcolepsy is a long-term neurological disorder that involves a decreased ability to regulate sleep-wake cycles. Symptoms include periods of excessive daytime sleepiness that usually last from seconds to minutes and may occur at any time.

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcolepsy

20 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I would have have thought it should be declared on the insurance application form, and therefore excluded:

Narcolepsy is a long-term neurological disorder that involves a decreased ability to regulate sleep-wake cycles. Symptoms include periods of excessive daytime sleepiness that usually last from seconds to minutes and may occur at any time.

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcolepsy

Had a boss here, he was from UK, who suffered badly from it.

He would stop in mid sentence for periods ranging from a minute to three or four minutes eyes shut then suddenly open his eyes and carry on with the sentence he was halfway through. He always had a driver as he was aware of the problem. 

Eventually he was transferred back to UK for early retirement in his 50's.

On 12/14/2018 at 3:20 AM, robblok said:

Ours did when my GF fell asleep behind the wheel with me next to her... I just had time to scream an curse before we hit the concrete pilar. Things can go real fast. This was during the day on a short ride, just a few km from our home.

No offense, but how the heck was this possible?

1 minute ago, robblok said:

That is a question that has not been answered up till this day. She might have been tired from previous days of working. But it was still a strange event.

Anyway, I hope you took over the driving after the 'incident'.

15 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Anyway, I hope you took over the driving after the 'incident'.

Not really she is a good driver everyone can have an accident. I only drive if I have too.. and now without her (got an other gf) i am the driver again. But prefer my motorbike over the car.

2 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Yes, but falling asleep is hardly an accident.  Sorry for rambling about this.

No i get it.. i was pretty shook up too, but after that it never ever happened and she drove a lot. She is an excellent driver. I myself am not such a good driver, unless on familiar roads. With google maps and a phone in a grabber i get where i want safely. But she knew where to go without maps and google.. always feeling confident when driving. So.. i had no problems letting her drive again.

Archived