Girl dies after being detained by U.S. Border Patrol: Washington Post

webfact

Girl dies after being detained by U.S. Border Patrol: Washington Post

2018-12-14T025635Z_1_LYNXMPEEBD040_RTROPTP_4_USA-BORDER.JPG

A logo patch is shown on the uniform of a U.S. Border Patrol agent near the international border between Mexico and the United States south of San Diego, California March 26, 2013. Picture taken March 26, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A 7-year-old girl from Guatemala died of dehydration and shock hours after she was taken into U.S. Border Patrol custody, the Washington Post reported on Thursday.

The girl and her father had been detained by immigration authorities on Dec. 6 in New Mexico as part of a group of 163 people who approached U.S. agents to turn themselves in, the Post reported.

Early on Dec. 7, the girl started having seizures, and emergency responders measured her body temperature at 105.7 degrees, the Post said. She was taken to a hospital, where she died, according to the Post.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection did not immediately respond to a request from Reuters for comment.

A spokeswoman at Providence Hospital in El Paso, Texas, where the Post reported the child was taken, also did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The names of the girl and her father were not released. The agency, which typically provides food and water to migrants in its custody, is investigating the incident to ensure whether appropriate policies were followed, the Post said.

The head of the Department of Homeland Security, which oversees Customs and Border Protection, will appear in front of the House of Representatives Judiciary Committee next week, Jerry Nadler, the top Democrat on the panel, said on Twitter. "We will be demanding immediate answers to this tragedy," Nadler said.

U.S. President Donald Trump has made toughening immigration policies a central tenet of his presidency and has vowed to build a wall along the southern border with Mexico.

This summer, his administration's "zero tolerance" immigration policy, which resulted in separating children arriving at the border with their parents, caused a national outcry. The policy was mostly reversed.

(Reporting by Makini Brice and Eric Beech; Editing by Leslie Adler)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-12-14

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Maybe "zero tolerance" shouldn't extend to one's basic humanity and decency?

Maybe we should wait and see exactly what happened? If they brought the girl in with a 105 fever there was very little that could be done. The only part about zero tolerance I see in the article is that it was mostly reversed. 

There isn't enough information in the article to start casting blame on one side or the other. 

1 minute ago, Cryingdick said:

Maybe we should wait and see exactly what happened? If they brought the girl in with a 105 fever there was very little that could be done. The only part about zero tolerance I see in the article is that it was mostly reversed. 

There isn't enough information in the article to start casting blame on one side or the other. 

Yes you are correct.

For the time being there is insufficient information to judge ‘either way’.

I trust you’ll maintain your fairness of mind as more of the facts are revealed.

11 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Yes you are correct.

For the time being there is insufficient information to judge ‘either way’.

I trust you’ll maintain your fairness of mind as more of the facts are revealed.

A border situation like this must be pure chaos, probably comparable to the fog of war.

Let's see what spin "the man" puts on this one.

Condolences to the family of the little girl. Their American dream is now shattered.

Dehydration, convulsions, shock and a temperature of 105.7 does not happen in just a few hours. Put bluntly the medical team was in a no win situation. Now public opinion will condemn them because they tried but failed. 

It's a case that should be investigated and even without that they should review their policies on humane treatment of the people they capture. It's not a black and white situation regardless. Many people are dying in these migration efforts before being captured, especially in the desert areas. That's nothing new and it doesn't respect what U.S. administration is in power at the time. 

"The girl and her father had been detained by immigration authorities on Dec. 6 in New Mexico as part of a group of 163 people who approached U.S. agents to turn themselves in, the Post reported.

Early on Dec. 7, the girl started having seizures, and emergency responders measured her body temperature at 105.7 degrees, the Post said. She was taken to a hospital, where she died, according to the Post."

They were in custody, when the girl started to get sick!

cus·to·dy
/ˈkəstədē/
noun

1. the protective care or guardianship of someone or something.
    "the property was placed in the custody of a trustee"
    synonyms: care, guardianship, charge, keeping, safekeeping, wardship, responsibility, protection, tutelage; More

• imprisonment.
      "my father was being taken into custody"
      synonyms: care, guardianship, charge, keeping, safekeeping, wardship, responsibility, protection, tutelage; More

• LAW
      parental responsibility, especially as allocated to one of two divorcing parents.
      "he was trying to get custody of their child"

Read 1...!!!

40 minutes ago, DM07 said:

"The girl and her father had been detained by immigration authorities on Dec. 6 in New Mexico as part of a group of 163 people who approached U.S. agents to turn themselves in, the Post reported.

Early on Dec. 7, the girl started having seizures, and emergency responders measured her body temperature at 105.7 degrees, the Post said. She was taken to a hospital, where she died, according to the Post."

cus·to·dy
/ˈkəstədē/
noun

1. the protective care or guardianship of someone or something.
    "the property was placed in the custody of a trustee"

• imprisonment.
      "my father was being taken into custody"

• LAW
      parental responsibility, especially as allocated to one of two divorcing parents.
      "he was trying to get custody of their child"

Read 1...!!!

Apparently the girl had been in custody for 8 hours already before she got sick.

41 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

Apparently the girl had been in custody for 8 hours already before she got sick.

Yes, at a temperature of 105.7 degrees there would have been lots of warning signs that she might be in trouble before that.  When I was a child (and sick) I don't think I quite reached that point before the medical staff had me in an ice bath.   Something obviously went horribly wrong.  Maybe she was not allowed out of her cage often enough to notice ????

1 minute ago, milwaukeeboy said:

I blame Trump for his recent executive order of mandatory handcuffs, ankle shackles, and solitary confinement with no food for all illegal aliens under the age of nine.

You forgot to include the executive order saying they should be hung upside down in their cage...

So she arrived, at death's door, and now border agents are being blamed. Her father should be charged with failure to provide the necessities of life and putting her in a dangerous situation. Rescued too late would be a more accurate headline.

2 hours ago, DM07 said:

Nowhere in the article does it say that, and you can not die from exhaustion/malnutrition/dehydration in less than 24 hours, so your assertion that she started to get sick in custody  is an impossibility going by the information available. 

21 minutes ago, Ulic said:

So she arrived, at death's door, and now border agents are being blamed.

Pretty much this. Its a lose-lose situation.  

22 minutes ago, Ulic said:

Her father should be charged with failure to provide the necessities of life and putting her in a dangerous situation. Rescued too late would be a more accurate headline.

Wouldn't go that far, but he has to live with what hes done. 

1 hour ago, UncleTouchyFingers said:

Nowhere in the article does it say that, and you can not die from exhaustion/malnutrition/dehydration in less than 24 hours, so your assertion that she started to get sick in custody  is an impossibility going by the information available. 

Hogwash.

It is entirely possible to die of dehydration in less than 24 hours, moreso for a child to die in s short period.

You sir need to wind in your inhumanity.

8 hours ago, DM07 said:

The pro-lifers will be out in huge numbers, making their outrage heard, I bet!?

:coffee1:

If being a pro-lifer means objecting to 7 year old children dieing in custody from entirely preventable causes, then I am proud to be so accused.

And you should be utterly ashamed of your comment.

3 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Yes, at a temperature of 105.7 degrees there would have been lots of warning signs that she might be in trouble before that.  When I was a child (and sick) I don't think I quite reached that point before the medical staff had me in an ice bath.   Something obviously went horribly wrong.  Maybe she was not allowed out of her cage often enough to notice ????

Someone who has 105.7 degrees will be noticed even without measuring the temperature. I know, as I have reached that temperature several times, and even higher than 109 degrees 3 times, between 6 and 7 years old.

Someone who get that sick 8 hours after detention has all indications that the illness started hours or days earlier.

32 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Hogwash.

It is entirely possible to die of dehydration in less than 24 hours, moreso for a child to die in s short period.

You sir need to wind in your inhumanity

It's nuts that you want that child to have gotten sick and died in us custody so bad that you are willing to look past the impossibility of dying from dehydration in less than 24 hours. In fact I think the timeline is about 12 hours. But you're willing to overlook this fact so you can wield this child's death like a club to try & beat opponents with.  

I could not even remotely care any less about what you think about my humanity if I tried. 

1 minute ago, UncleTouchyFingers said:

It's nuts that you want that child to have gotten sick and died in us custody so bad that you are willing to look past the impossibility of dying from dehydration in less than 24 hours. In fact I think the timeline is about 12 hours. But you're willing to overlook this fact so you can wield this child's death like a club to try & beat opponents with.  

I could not even remotely care any less about what you think about my humanity if I tried. 

You seem to be assured of what I want.

This self assurance of yours, it's all in your own head.

I personally don’t care when or were the kid got sick,rip little one my heart felt condolences to her family the real blame and crime is allowing the conditions to exist that would compell people to flee there home and some to America for not helping the home country improve conditions and perhaps not recognizing her condition soon enough rip little one

30 minutes ago, i claudius said:

Its the father that should be ashamed ,bringing a child of that age away from where they lived to another country,

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Really depends on the situation they left - making a general comment with no facts of that exact situation is based on your own bias.  We know very little of the overall situation.  I would prefer the situation be investigated and facts collected before the arm chair judges rule.

Not to mention even if (big even if) the father was negligent, it would not absolve the Border Patrol of potential negligence.  They are not mutually exclusive.

7 hours ago, anterian said:

Dehydration, convulsions, shock and a temperature of 105.7 does not happen in just a few hours. Put bluntly the medical team was in a no win situation. Now public opinion will condemn them because they tried but failed. 

Takes a few days to get to that condition, but of course the father would never let his daughter get so sick so that he might get to the front of the queue, would he?

Lets face it, they were all invited to drag their kids all that distance from home knowing that the border would just be opened and they could get everything they wanted for free, weren't they?

And of course when it goes wrong it can't be their fault, can it?

Archived