Girl dies after being detained by U.S. Border Patrol: Washington Post

webfact

53 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Really depends on the situation they left - making a general comment with no facts of that exact situation is based on your own bias.  We know very little of the overall situation.  I would prefer the situation be investigated and facts collected before the arm chair judges rule.

Not to mention even if (big even if) the father was negligent, it would not absolve the Border Patrol of potential negligence.  They are not mutually exclusive.

They could have claimed asylum much earlier run Mexico and avoided this. Mexico wasn't good enough so they pushed on and this is the result. The border patrol may or may not have been negligent in their care. The fact remains though that the father himself brought the girl into peril. 

The entire caravan was urged to apply for asylum long ago. I forget who the spokesman on TV was that said it but he said to apply in Mexico and do not continue into what will be very bad conditions.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

They could have claimed asylum much earlier run Mexico and avoided this. Mexico wasn't good enough so they pushed on and this is the result. The border patrol may or may not have been negligent in their care. The fact remains though that the father himself brought the girl into peril. 

The entire caravan was urged to apply for asylum long ago. I forget who the spokesman on TV was that said it but he said to apply in Mexico and do not continue into what will be very bad conditions.

I doubt Mexico abides to international standard with regards to refugees.

The US border has known this was coming for 1000s of miles.  It would not take much to set up processing posts to prescreen before they reached the border.

I also doubt many on here medical knowledge with respect to dehydration and kids (healthy or sick).  If it takes days for it to be an issue, then why do they warn you to hydrate yourself on hot days to prevent heat stroke.   Also with kids, they often won't even know they themselves are dehydrated and then when they become sick, are not exactly in the mood to consume anything.   Then of course if you separate them it only makes it much much worse.

Anyway, I just hope for an independent investigation... not for the purpose of laying blame necessarily but to reduce the likelihood of it happening again. 

5 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

The US border has known this was coming for 1000s of miles.  It would not take much to set up processing posts to prescreen before they reached the border.

I also doubt many on here medical knowledge with respect to dehydration and kids (healthy or sick).  If it takes days for it to be an issue, then why do they warn you to hydrate yourself on hot days to prevent heat stroke.   Also with kids, they often won't even know they themselves are dehydrated and then when they become sick, are not exactly in the mood to consume anything.   Then of course if you separate them it only makes it much much worse.

Anyway, I just hope for an independent investigation... not for the purpose of laying blame necessarily but to reduce the likelihood of it happening again. 

Let's also not forget the by the Trump administration greatly reduced budget to improve living conditions back in Guatamala.

19 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Let's also not forget the by the Trump administration greatly reduced budget to improve living conditions back in Guatamala.

Trump threatened to reduce aid to Guatemala (and others) BECAUSE of the caravan. The caravan is NOT a product of the reduction of aid and Trump. 

But any reason to blame Trump right?

26 minutes ago, UncleTouchyFingers said:

Trump threatened to reduce aid to Guatemala (and others) BECAUSE of the caravan. The caravan is NOT a product of the reduction of aid and Trump. 

Well, just whose shoulder's should this be put on?   Obama?   Hillary?   It belongs on the person who has set up policies which result in an already dangerous situation getting much worse.

When people are apprehended, or, as in this case, turned themselves into officials and taken into custody then it is the officials duty to assure the safety of those in custody.   Special care needs to be taken when children are involved.   When the police detain people, children are usually turned over to child protective services.    

Seeing to medical needs and giving food and water is pretty basic.   

37 minutes ago, UncleTouchyFingers said:

No, not true. Aid has been reduced, hence more refugees. Border patrols are working much, much slower, so more and more lining up. And then on top of it aid was further reduced when the caravan started.

This one is on Trump.

1 minute ago, Credo said:

Well, just whose shoulder's should this be put on?   Obama?   Hillary?   It belongs on the person who has set up policies which result in an already dangerous situation getting much worse.

When people are apprehended, or, as in this case, turned themselves into officials and taken into custody then it is the officials duty to assure the safety of those in custody.   Special care needs to be taken when children are involved.   When the police detain people, children are usually turned over to child protective services.    

Obama, Hillary, Bush, Bill, on and on and on its all their faults. Its a can thats been kicked down the road for way to long thats now coming to a head. 

Nowhere, anywhere in the media right now, states anything of the sort. Your entire post is based on what you think happened. You are assuming that this little girl was locked up in a cage and withheld water because you want to blame the Trump admin never mind the fact that this thread has already beaten to death that the girl had been in custody for only about 8 hours and as per her oh so loving father hadn't ate or drank anything for days prior to illegally crossing the border & getting caught. Once it was realized that she was sick, she was helicoptered to a hospital, revived, and later died. 

Policy of years past has sent the message (wrongly) that as long as you can make it to the US, youre good. If you can cross the border, youre good. If you get caught, claim asylum. That has never been the case, never will be the case, and its only got a light shown on it right now because of Trump. 

What this father did - he will have to live with, and its a tragedy all around, but as per usual the libs and nevertrumpers will use any means necessary to bash Trump and conservatives. 

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Fake News. As stated throughout the media, the aid reduction threat was BECAUSE of the caravan, the caravan was not a product of the reduction of aid. 

23 minutes ago, stevenl said:

No, not true. Aid has been reduced, hence more refugees. Border patrols are working much, much slower, so more and more lining up. And then on top of it aid was further reduced when the caravan started.

This one is on Trump.

Absolute garbage post and you know it. I mean why would you lie when you can just google stuff and its all right there? 

President Trump vowed Monday to cut off or “substantially” reduce aid to three Latin American nations, voicing fresh frustration as a growing caravan of migrants that originated in Honduras continued to make its way toward the U.S.-Mexico border.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-vows-to-reduce-aid-to-guatemala-honduras-and-el-salvador-as-migrant-caravan-grows/2018/10/22/44c48982-d5f8-11e8-83a2-d1c3da28d6b6_story.html?utm_term=.7751babef900

9 minutes ago, UncleTouchyFingers said:

Obama, Hillary, Bush, Bill, on and on and on its all their faults. Its a can thats been kicked down the road for way to long thats now coming to a head. 

Nowhere, anywhere in the media right now, states anything of the sort. Your entire post is based on what you think happened. You are assuming that this little girl was locked up in a cage and withheld water because you want to blame the Trump admin never mind the fact that this thread has already beaten to death that the girl had been in custody for only about 8 hours and as per her oh so loving father hadn't ate or drank anything for days prior to illegally crossing the border & getting caught. Once it was realized that she was sick, she was helicoptered to a hospital, revived, and later died. 

Policy of years past has sent the message (wrongly) that as long as you can make it to the US, youre good. If you can cross the border, youre good. If you get caught, claim asylum. That has never been the case, never will be the case, and its only got a light shown on it right now because of Trump. 

What this father did - he will have to live with, and its a tragedy all around, but as per usual the libs and nevertrumpers will use any means necessary to bash Trump and conservatives. 

Do not make assumptions about what I do or do not think.   I made no mention of cages.   Trump's policies can only be describes as a culture of cruelty.

9 minutes ago, UncleTouchyFingers said:

Fake News. As stated throughout the media, the aid reduction threat was BECAUSE of the caravan, the caravan was not a product of the reduction of aid. 

Absolute garbage post and you know it. I mean why would you lie when you can just google stuff and its all right there? 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-vows-to-reduce-aid-to-guatemala-honduras-and-el-salvador-as-migrant-caravan-grows/2018/10/22/44c48982-d5f8-11e8-83a2-d1c3da28d6b6_story.html?utm_term=.7751babef900

You realise you have just proven the second part of my post? Probably not.

50 minutes ago, Credo said:

16 minutes ago, Credo said:

Trump's policies can only be describes as a culture of cruelty.

When the bus departed the operating base about 12:20 a..m., the other migrants -- including Jakelin and her father -- were held inside the sally port of the Antelope Wells Port of Entry and given access to food, water and restrooms, according to CBP.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/12/14/us/guatemalan-girl-death-ice/index.html

8 hours ago, overherebc said:

Takes a few days to get to that condition, but of course the father would never let his daughter get so sick so that he might get to the front of the queue, would he?

Lets face it, they were all invited to drag their kids all that distance from home knowing that the border would just be opened and they could get everything they wanted for free, weren't they?

And of course when it goes wrong it can't be their fault, can it?

Utterly disgusting.

8 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

You are supposed to apply for asylum once your life is no longer in danger. They ignored that and put their lives into danger intentionally again. They are lucky there were border agents to pick them up or the death toll might have been higher.

Many people have died trying to cross that section of desert. There is nothing for miles. Not just a few miles hundreds of miles at a time.

From what was on NBC news tonight it appears they were put on a bus around 90 miles to the nearest facility. After that the girl had a medivac to El Paso. 

I chose NBC news as the source because they aren't exactly right wing. El Paso is likely the closest full service hospital in the area. What more should they have done?

Interesting that this occurred ~ one week ago, but we are just finding out about it now. Unsure why the "Authorities" (CPB/DHS) did not immediately disclose this? 

She stopped breathing on a CPB bus.

Not mentioned this week in testimony. Interesting.

Customs and Border Protection Commissioner Testifies Before Senate Judiciary
Customs and Border Protection (CPB) Commissioner Kevin McAleenan testified at an oversight hearing on border security and immigration enforcement at the U.S.-Mexico border. 

https://www.c-span.org/video/?455599-1/customs-border-protection-commissioner-testifies-senate-judiciary

34 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Interesting that this occurred ~ one week ago, but we are just finding out about it now. Unsure why the "Authorities" (CPB/DHS) did not immediately disclose this? 

She stopped breathing on a CPB bus.

Not mentioned this week in testimony. Interesting.

Customs and Border Protection Commissioner Testifies Before Senate Judiciary
Customs and Border Protection (CPB) Commissioner Kevin McAleenan testified at an oversight hearing on border security and immigration enforcement at the U.S.-Mexico border. 

https://www.c-span.org/video/?455599-1/customs-border-protection-commissioner-testifies-senate-judiciary

Again many more might have died if they were left to their own resources. These deaths regularly go under the radar. 162 people are still alive because of the intervention of the border patrol. Normally not much is said about it when it isn't so political.

If anything it could be said that the death toll has gone down when you consider increased security. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Migrant_deaths_along_the_Mexico–United_States_border

I think what is terrible is that these people drag children thousands of miles from their homes so that they can just live off better off countrys and in many cases change them into the cesspits that they came from ,as for the poor child RIP, it is not the fault of the people who took you in that you passed away ,

1 hour ago, Cryingdick said:

Again many more might have died if they were left to their own resources. These deaths regularly go under the radar. 162 people are still alive because of the intervention of the border patrol. Normally not much is said about it when it isn't so political.

If anything it could be said that the death toll has gone down when you consider increased security. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Migrant_deaths_along_the_Mexico–United_States_border

And that is why this wasn't mentioned in the hearings?

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

And that is why this wasn't mentioned in the hearings?

Because the hearings, as per the article that was linked, was about the November 25th use of tear gas and has nothing to do with the MSNBC video. 

MSNBC is about as far left as fox news is to the right, so pick the hyperbole that you agree with and run with it. 

15 hours ago, JAG said:

If being a pro-lifer means objecting to 7 year old children dieing in custody from entirely preventable causes, then I am proud to be so accused.

And you should be utterly ashamed of your comment.

I don't know, what you are on, but I have the sincere feeling, you did not really understand my comment! 

But that is okay- I am hungover, too!

13 minutes ago, DM07 said:

I don't know, what you are on, but I have the sincere feeling, you did not really understand my comment! 

But that is okay- I am hungover, too!

I took your post to be a (sardonic) comment on people protesting the death of a child in custody - given your previous stance on such matters it did rather surprise me. Did it have another meaning?

2 minutes ago, JAG said:

I took your post to be a (sardonic) comment on people protesting the death of a child in custody - given your previous stance on such matters it did rather surprise me. Did it have another meaning?

It was meant to be critical of people, who call themselves "pro life", as long as a baby is unborn and don't give two hot $4!t$about actual children in need!

Archived