Girl dies after being detained by U.S. Border Patrol: Washington Post

webfact

Just now, DM07 said:

It was meant to be critical of people, who call themselves "pro life", as long as a baby is unborn and don't give two hot $4!t$about actual children in need!

I obviously misunderstood. Apologies.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

So please explain to me what would have happened to these 163 people if nobody had picked them up? 

Which is related to my question how?

Why was this death not reported, as required?

I guess there is no chance that the girl's parents could be responsible for this? I mean dragging her on such a quest and then illegally enter a country. What could have possibly gone wrong? So, now it is the border patrols fault this little girl died? Give me a break!

43 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

So please explain to me what would have happened to these 163 people if nobody had picked them up? 

They were not picked up.   They turned themselves in.   Here's from the OP:

The girl and her father had been detained by immigration authorities on Dec. 6 in New Mexico as part of a group of 163 people who approached U.S. agents to turn themselves in, the Post reported.

10 minutes ago, Longcut said:

I guess there is no chance that the girl's parents could be responsible for this? I mean dragging her on such a quest and then illegally enter a country. What could have possibly gone wrong? So, now it is the border patrols fault this little girl died? Give me a break!

But the girl didn't die in the parent's custody.   She died in the custody of the Border Patrol.   

23 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

Many people have died trying to cross that section of desert. There is nothing for miles. Not just a few miles hundreds of miles at a time.

Yep folks who have never been there have no idea how desolate, unpopulated, hot and dry that area is. It isnt like taking the Motorway to Brighton, or going from the Washington Monument to C street. Its miles of nothing.

The Washington Post said they were picked up south of Lordsburg. Go to Google Maps and enter Lordsburg NM. Put on the satellite image, and wander around to the border. Then come back to me and blame DHS for this.

The blame belongs to those who enticed these poor folks to try to make it to the US through that area.

If anyone here thinks they are tough enough to wander around the NM desert without gear, food or water, let me know and I will give you a pat on the back.

DHS evidently denying coverage for pre-existing conditions?

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

* Brown people not eligible

5 minutes ago, mogandave said:

After being airlifted to the hospital..

She stopped breathing on the CPB bus, she was declared deceased at the hospital.

Where, exactly, she drew her last breath seems like an odd thing to be concerned with? I mean for a caring person, that is. But I'm sure Secretary Nielsen will get to the bottom of it.

4 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Yep folks who have never been there have no idea how desolate, unpopulated, hot and dry that area is. It isnt like taking the Motorway to Brighton, or going from the Washington Monument to C street. Its miles of nothing.

The Washington Post said they were picked up south of Lordsburg. Go to Google Maps and enter Lordsburg NM. Put on the satellite image, and wander around to the border. Then come back to me and blame DHS for this.

The blame belongs to those who enticed these poor folks to try to make it to the US through that area.

If anyone here thinks they are tough enough to wander around the NM desert without gear, food or water, let me know and I will give you a pat on the back.

"The blame belongs to those who enticed these poor folks to try to make it to the US through that area."

The truth is the blame rests squarely on an administration that is making it almost impossible for them to cross legally and apply for asylum.   

Nowhere in the OP does it say they had been without food or water for any length of time.   Nowhere does it indicate that they subjected to particularly harsh conditions.    

I suspect all the deflection is to keep the topic off track and place blame where it doesn't belong.   

Just now, Credo said:

The truth is the blame rests squarely on an administration that is making it almost impossible for them to cross legally and apply for asylum.   

Under the law, these people aren't entitled to asylum. What they want is to get their foot in the door and take advantage of loopholes, encouraged by activist groups. Hell, I bet their next step is demand $50,000 each to go away. O wait......

1 minute ago, Credo said:

Nowhere in the OP does it say they had been without food or water for any length of time.   Nowhere does it indicate that they subjected to particularly harsh conditions.    

I guess you havent looked at the map then. Being out there, on foot, is a "harsh condition". Ever done it yourself? Would you drag an infant through the desert?

2 minutes ago, Credo said:

I suspect all the deflection is to keep the topic off track and place blame where it doesn't belong.   

I suspect you believe then in open borders.

This family put their child in danger. The authorities, as best can be read from what is real and what is propaganda, did their best to save her after she became ill. So now its "Trumps fault" that this little girl died. OK then. You are entitled to your view. To me though, its like breaking into someones home, getting shot and paralyzed and then blaming the homeowner.

I note that the AP is reporting that the child was allegedly in good health before she boarded the bus for the 90 mile trip (180KM) through the desert, where there isnt even cell phone service.

https://www.apnews.com/d403beb8da47483ebf843e07b0fc6a2c

Go look at the map. Go look at Antelope Wells, NM. Anyone here commenting about how its the Governments fault been down there or even been in a desert? 

The death of this child is a tragedy. The fact that she was put in that position by her parents is a disgrace. The fact that it is being politicized as a way to advance an agenda is disgusting. Dancing on the graves of the dead again.

23 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

She stopped breathing on the CPB bus, she was declared deceased at the hospital.

Where, exactly, she drew her last breath seems like an odd thing to be concerned with? I mean for a caring person, that is. But I'm sure Secretary Nielsen will get to the bottom of it.

The helicopter lift to El Paso is more than most Americans would get with no insurance. People keep asking if the illegals were offered water.  Now don't get me wrong but if you attempt to walk hundreds of miles through the Chihuahuan desert perhaps carry some water.

This group tried to step to the front of the asylum line by going through assuming they would be rescued. 

Meanwhile many others wait on the other side of the border to get processed. 

The little girl drew her last breath when the adults in the group decided to break the law and cross presumably without even carrying enough potable water or shelter from the sun.

The Chihuahuan desert is formidable. America is a vast country and the desert is probably the size of western Europe to put it in perspective.

It isn't like the border patrol tied them up and stacked them in the back of a flat bed truck to suffocate. That's what would have happened to them in countries like Thailand.

1 minute ago, Nyezhov said:

I note that the AP is reporting that the child was allegedly in good health before she boarded the bus for the 90 mile trip (180KM) through the desert, where there isnt even cell phone service.

https://www.apnews.com/d403beb8da47483ebf843e07b0fc6a2c

Go look at the map. Go look at Antelope Wells, NM. Anyone here commenting about how its the Governments fault been down there or even been in a desert? 

The death of this child is a tragedy. The fact that she was put in that position by her parents is a disgrace. The fact that it is being politicized as a way to advance an agenda is disgusting. Dancing on the graves of the dead again.

A few people do not seem to comprehend how vast that area is and how dangerous the crossing is.

9 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Under the law, these people aren't entitled to asylum.

It has been mentioned a number of times by Mods your claim is false / misinformation and future claims will be removed. However, how you can know their asylum claim will be rejected is of interest considering one assumes you know nothing of the claim/s made by the family. For the meantime, other than trump hyperbole, please point to US enacted legislation to support your claim.

6 minutes ago, simple1 said:

It has been mentioned a number of times by Mods your claim is false / misinformation and future claims will be removed. However, how you can know their asylum claim will be rejected is of interest considering one assumes you know nothing of the claim/s made by the family. For the meantime, other than trump hyperbole, please point to US enacted legislation to support your claim.

Discussing moderation isn't allowed. Reported.

On 12/14/2018 at 11:22 AM, mtls2005 said:

Maybe "zero tolerance" shouldn't extend to one's basic humanity and decency?

Reading through the thread, your post is more and more applicable. Deplorable attitude by quite a few members here, basic humanity and decency seems to have ceased.

6 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Reading through the thread, your post is more and more applicable. Deplorable attitude by quite a few members here, basic humanity and decency seems to have ceased.

I am guessing you are from the Netherlands based on your name. There is nothing stopping your country from doing the right thing. 

20 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

It isn't like the border patrol tied them up and stacked them in the back of a flat bed truck to suffocate.

Now, now. Stop giving the trump administration new "ideas".

That said, I imagine Mr. Miller has already thought of this one so you may have to dig a little deeper for a truly horrific idea?

7 minutes ago, simple1 said:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1158

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1225#b

Your right, I know nothing of the particular claims of THIS family. But, one can arguably claim either way, depending on their worldview, of the validity of their asylum claim, considering that 80% of asylum claims are denied.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/executive-office-immigration-review-releases-court-statistics-announces-transparency

Its funny how you claim that my view that the immigration system is broken, and that folks take advantage of loopholes is "Trump hyperbole".  Whats yours?

1 minute ago, mtls2005 said:

Now, now. Stop giving the trump administration new "ideas".

That said, I imagine Mr. Miller has already thought of this one so you may have to dig a little deeper for a truly horrific idea?

Just pointing out the level of outrage on this topic runs pretty high. meanwhile many members live in Thailand and don't get quite as outraged about this. 

Obviously freedom of speech is curtailed to an extent in Thailand, however it is ironic that so many posters are outraged by this when it is a matter of course in the country they choose to live in and support through their presence in the country.

10 minutes ago, stevenl said:

And your solution is? Let them all in? Tell us how, by the way, what more the Border Patrol could have done to save this little girls life?

It is a tragedy but the real culprits are the adults who dragged the child to the border. The US frontier is closed to illegal entry. This includes a so called “children” . The majority are young males of military age.

If every liberal accommodation was given to all the bludgerers the result would be Chaos.

Sorry the USA cannot be “all things to all people” but the lifeboat is full.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

And your solution is? Let them all in? Tell us how, by the way, what more the Border Patrol could have done to save this little girls life?

If you have noticed no other country in the world is offering asylum. They should have applied for asylum in Mexico. The USA is not going to giver $50,000 per person to go back.

7 minutes ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Sorry the USA cannot be “all things to all people” but the lifeboat is full.

We have nearly 7 million job openings. Immigrants work hard, start businesses, obey the law, pay taxes and FICA.

Plenty of room in the boat, more people to help row it in a forward direction. Why the fear?

Making President Trump’s Bed: A Housekeeper Without Papers

At the president’s New Jersey golf course, an undocumented immigrant has worked as a maid since 2013. She said she never imagined she “would see such important people close up.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/06/us/trump-bedminster-golf-undocumented-workers.html

8 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1158

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1225#b

Your right, I know nothing of the particular claims of THIS family. But, one can arguably claim either way, depending on their worldview, of the validity of their asylum claim, considering that 80% of asylum claims are denied.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/executive-office-immigration-review-releases-court-statistics-announces-transparency

Its funny how you claim that my view that the immigration system is broken, and that folks take advantage of loopholes is "Trump hyperbole".  Whats yours?

As per your first link it is not illegal to make a claim for asylum in the US if one has not entered via a US border control facility.

Any alien who is physically present in the United States or who arrives in the United States (whether or not at a designated port of arrival and including an alien who is brought to the United States after having been interdicted in international or United States waters), irrespective of such alien’s status, may apply for asylum in accordance with this section or, where applicable, section 1225(b) of this title.

NB: Exceptions would have to be confirmed by a Court in the US based upon each individual case.

trump is trying to reverse current law together with his usual misinformation and hyperbolic claims. To date trump's efforts have been rejected.

"Once again, the courts have been forced to step in and preserve the rule of law. No one, including the President, can rewrite the nation's immigration laws on their own," 

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/11/20/politics/judge-asylum-restrictions/index.html

Just reading the papers this morning ,i see that his wife and other children are upset 2000 miles away at home in Guatamala,makes me wonder what him and his daughter were doing trying to get into America ? just another illegal economic migrant i fear ,i blame him and his family for the death of the poor little child .

7 minutes ago, simple1 said:

As per your first link it is not illegal to make a claim for asylum in the US if one has not entered via a US border control facility.

The correct term is disqualifying. And I never claimed that it was.

8 minutes ago, simple1 said:

trump is trying to reverse current law together with his usual misinformation and hyperbolic claims. To date trump's efforts have been rejected.

That is totally off topic to the subject at hand. Why does every topic have to degenerate into bashing President Trump? What does he or any of the policies of DHS have to do with the death of this little girl?

Do you have a response to the statistic that 80% of asylum claims are rejected?

Archived