Money in Myanmar? UAE?

Number 6

I've just returned to Thailand from Myanmar, after teaching there for a few years.  Pay was $2,400 plus about $600 extra per month for accommodation costs.

Most of the semi-decent private schools in the country pay these types of salaries.  You need to have a degree and relevant teaching experience, plus be 'culturally-aware' (means don't get drunk in public, don't do anything in public that could be considered as disrespectful towards religion, politics or teachers etc).

Myanmar is a long way from the liberal ways of Thailand ????

Thanks, I've visited Myanmar a number of times as early as 93. I'm quite ok with low key lifestyle as I am married. I've read visa runs are standard. I'd need another few hundred, leaving my job. I doubt that would happen, I'm pretty on top of the EFL game in Thailand. I have a wife here and while she works, I'd need to support the rent for her to hold our flat. Thinking just a year or two if nothing pans out in April. So, you're back? How's the job market? Any wisdom?

Korea, hate it. China, just seems like a big identity theft ring and bait and switch. I detest language centers, evenings and not having two days off in a row. Living in some gigantic megalopolis of nowhere. Maybe pollution. Demanding parents of little princes. Middle School is lowest grades I want to teach.

So, you're back? How's the job market? Any wisdom?

Well, back but not really back (in Thailand).  I spend most of my time in Kawthaung, right in the south of Myanmar.  I stopped my in-class teaching job to give myself more time to work on my educational charity in Myanmar.  Now I earn a similar income from online teaching (my previous students at the Naypyitaw school, teacher-training of Burmese and Chinese teachers, ESL teaching of Chinese and Vietnamese kids etc).

On 12/15/2018 at 12:50 PM, stubuzz said:

Can you explain?

Fake agencies solicit yourour resume pulling personal details and matching it up with online information about you. It's an absolute cancer and everywhere. Next, any nice diploma scans, thell use to forge no university grads paperwork.

Set you up with one job, swap with another. Swap contracts, convince your dumb ass to fly in on your own money on a tourist visa. Lol.

On LinkedIn they'll try some ploy to get more information from you. I've had two that needed my birthday. Like that

Its a hassle to change employer. My friend hates it but 12 years, impossible to leave.

UAE can be quite tough to get into, and for any jobs that pay the decent money you will need there, you're going to need good qualifications(probably an MA) and ideally previous gulf experience. Bear in mind that the Gulf economies are not doing well, and there is a big push for nationals in those jobs. 

Also, it's difficult to save and have any kind of life on most UAE salaries. They look good on paper, but they're not really that great once you get into it. A lot of UAE teachers are female, and they're there with a partner. 

If you want to follow the money, without a doubt, Saudi is the best option. Even though salaries have declined recently, and there's also a big push for Saudization, it's where the money is. 

Starting salaries would be around 100,000 baht a month for a rubbish job with a very bad teaching experience. 

Once you start going into the military and O+G jobs you're looking at 200,000 baht. 

It is possible to make more on some of the golden ticket jobs, but they don't come round every day. 

Also, bear in mind that a lot of these jobs will give you houses, cars, no bills, flight allowances, bonuses etc. 

On December 25, 2018 at 3:22 AM, bermondburi said:

Also, bear in mind that a lot of these jobs will give you houses, cars, no bills, flight allowances, bonuses etc. 

Yes, at the UAE government university and college level they expected a masters degree or, sometimes unrealistically, a doctorate, but the tax-free salaries were quite good and, speaking from my experience over 10 years ago, I got a three bedroom villa, a liberal allowance to furnish it, an interest-free car loan, annual travel allowance, etc, but I was teaching maths and basic computer application usage in business etc. English teachers were at the bottom of the salary scale. In the time since I was there I believe they've become a bit less free and easy with remuneration.

Teaching at the secondary level or below tended to garner far less generous terms with some exceptions such as the American Community School or some of the other international schools that had decent pay packages. I would seriously avoid any small private schools or, for that matter, many of the large private ones.

1 hour ago, sawadee1947 said:

3.5-4.5 Tds Euro. Everywhere is where English teachers are searched for. You have to try some websites from authorities. Better than to wait for a golden spoon delivered on TV. 

Dunno mate, that's fairly mediocre from where I'm standing. 60k gbp tax free, free house, free car, free utilities, free petrol, flights, bonuses....

You get me?

10 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

3.5-4.5 Tds Euro. Everywhere is where English teachers are searched for. You have to try some websites from authorities. Better than to wait for a golden spoon delivered on TV. 

I'm not an English teacher nor am I looking for work as one. While there may be some good pay on offer for English teachers in some places depending on one's qualifications and experience, not simply a "university diploma," I doubt they can be found "anywhere." 

From my experience I would say the supply of alleged English teachers greatly exceeds the demand, especially anywhere that provides good salary and benefits. When I was working in the UAE, which certainly has the potential for great compensation, English teachers needed a post graduate degree and prior experience but were still on the bottom rung salary-wise. In countries with less money to be thrown around most things on offer might support a modest life style but little more.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2018 at 12:21 AM, sawadee1947 said:

I don't fully understand this. For all your griping about English teachers it appears you could use some tutoring. I can make more sense of my 17yo Thai students writing than this.

17 hours ago, Number 6 said:

I don't fully understand this. For all your griping about English teachers it appears you could use some tutoring. I can make more sense of my 17yo Thai students writing than this.

If you would have considered what I mentioned before you would have been quiet. 

I complained about "so called " English language teachers here who indeed can't show any diploma of any recommended UK university. They are similar to Thai people. No qualification but just "I can"

2 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

If you would have considered what I mentioned before you would have been quiet. 

I complained about "so called " English language teachers here who indeed can't show any diploma of any recommended UK university. They are similar to Thai people. No qualification but just "I can"

Apologies, I'll keep quiet...

You do realize I started this thread, no?

While there is still a fair share of lazy, incompetent and feckless teachers in the school system, for all intents and purposes, teachers without degrees in public schools no longer exist. According to thaivisa I believe the Thai expat population is down some 20-25% from its peak. Do you need a diploma from a UK university to be a qualified teacher? There are 220 countries. How about Finland or Singapore?

1 hour ago, Number 6 said:

Apologies, I'll keep quiet...

You do realize I started this thread, no?

While there is still a fair share of lazy, incompetent and feckless teachers in the school system, for all intents and purposes, teachers without degrees in public schools no longer exist. According to thaivisa I believe the Thai expat population is down some 20-25% from its peak. Do you need a diploma from a UK university to be a qualified teacher? There are 220 countries. How about Finland or Singapore?

Sorry, that is not the point. 

It's about teachers for English language. 

Archived