Video: Last moments of motorcyclist as 18 wheeler flees the scene

rooster59

Video: Last moments of motorcyclist as 18 wheeler flees the scene

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTUyMS83NjA5ODk4LzcuanBn.jpg

Image: Sanook

Dash cam footage showed an 18 wheel truck going round a bend at the Sena - Pathum Thani intersection in Ayuthaya. 

A motorcycle becomes entangled in the wheels of the truck and the rider is run over. 

Suraphon Thapunyat, 46, an Ayuthaya factory worker was dead at the scene. 

A rescue foundation worker called Chote Phutthirit, 33, who saw the accident gave chase to the truck that had failed to stop. 

Wuthichai, 28, the driver of the truck was subject of a citizen's arrest three kilometers away and is now in the custody of the Sena police.

He said he did not intend to flee and gave a rambling excuse about his battery going on his phone. 

He had been on his way with a delivery of sand from Sam Khok to Sena. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-12-15

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was the truck overtaking the motor bike or did the bike try to cut up the inside of the truck as so many do ?

Just saw the video of the bike trying to overtake the truck on the inside which was a major cause of this accident .

This donkey behind the wheel wasn't trying to flee, only took him 3km to stop.

Serious question, but is hit and run even a crime here?

RIP to the victim even if his driving certainly contributed to the outcome

18 minutes ago, keith101 said:

Was the truck overtaking the motor bike or did the bike try to cut up the inside of the truck as so many do ?

Just saw the video of the bike trying to overtake the truck on the inside which was a major cause of this accident .

The bike to me looks to have a fairly legitimate, though not particularly advisable position. He is on the far inside well before the bend and in the overwhelming majority of occasions, he would have been fine.The lorry just cut the corner too tight, probably not realising the bike was there. One quick look in his mirrors would have alerted him, but many drivers here seem to have no clue what they are there for. I have seen more than a few drivers who adjust them so that they can see themselves, rather than the road behind them.

Cleary the truck driver is guilty of failing to stop.  However the unfortunate death of the motor cyclist just typifies the stupidity of motorcyclists in Thailand.  This happens often. They do not have the common sense to understand the physical movement of a truck with trailer whilst making a left curve yet they are still stupid enough to undertake !!  Anyone who suggests that the motorcylist was not at fault for his/her own demise must be sadly lacking in road skills.

7 hours ago, darksidedog said:

The bike to me looks to have a fairly legitimate position. He is on the far inside well before the bend.The lorry just cut the corner too tight, probably not realising the bike was there. One quick look in his mirrors would have alerted him, but many drivers here seem to have no clue what they are there for.

Both rider and driver share responsibility....neither seem aware to what is around them......I was taught to drive defensively and always expect the unexpected....sadly the rider decided to undertake this double trailer truck on a relatively tight bend without considering what the driver would do and sadly paid the ultimate price....as we see time and time again on the roads here......nothing will ever change unfortunately.

RIP to the poor man :jap:

4 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

The bike to me looks to have a fairly legitimate position. He is on the far inside well before the bend and in the overwhelming majority of occasions, he would have been fine.The lorry just cut the corner too tight, probably not realising the bike was there. One quick look in his mirrors would have alerted him, but many drivers here seem to have no clue what they are there for. I have seen more than a few drivers who adjust them so that they can see themselves, rather than the road behind them.

Come on, the bike was not in a legitimate position.  It was on the hard shoulder and that is not a legitimate traffic lane.  When he was hit the lorry was not cutting the corner, it was still on the correct side of the white line marking the hard shoulder, the trailer did cross the white line fractionally but that was after the bike rider had caused itself to be run over.

One quick look and one thought by the daft rider would have  averted this.

8 minutes ago, CanuckThai said:

The video clearly shows the truck encroaching (over the white line) into the shoulder.  Motorcyclist didn't have much of a chance...

The video clearly shows that at the point of impact the lorry (the part that hit the bike) was in it's correct lane!

You seem to be ignoring the bike being in the wrong "lane" and being 100% responsible for the accident therefore not giving himself much of a chance.

Crap.. what a horrible way to die, the bike is on the shoulders of the road and the truck also cut to the same area, both to blame, but usually in a situation like this the bike should be flicked away and to the side of the road and not get under the truck's wheels, a freaky accident to say the least...

See this all too often, truck driver is indicating that he is turning left and motorbike undertakes.

In Australia trucks have right of way when turning left, it is against the law to overtake turning vehicles.

I'm amazed there is not a lot more deaths here like this.

I would hate to drive a heavy vehicle in Thailand, these riders dont respect their own life.

What an idiot. 

The motorcyclist would have known that the truck was there and even though he may have been in the correct position on the road he also had the option of backing off and letting the truck go. Rather than the attitude that "I'm in the right, to I'm carrying on regardless".  Its all about reading and predicting what is going on around you rather than the tunnel vison style of driving that so may people opt for here.  

44 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

The idiot in this case was the motorcyclist trying to overtake on the left.

I would't call anyone involved in this accident an idiot.    It's simple a tragic accident.     The motorbike should have wisely not been to the side of the truck during the curve but it wasn't illegal.     The truck did come into the bike lane a bit but not severely.

The just became a sad part of the reality in Thailand.

15 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

The video clearly shows that at the point of impact the lorry (the part that hit the bike) was in it's correct lane!

You seem to be ignoring the bike being in the wrong "lane" and being 100% responsible for the accident therefore not giving himself much of a chance.

I personally, especially if on my motorcycle, would not (never) try passing a truck on an inside corner.  But I'm not Thai, and this is Thailand, a self centered scooter culture, where one has to anticipate others negligent behavior....or pay dearly with baht or your life.  BTW, look at the point of impact still photo on the top of the thread...

1 hour ago, keith101 said:

As much as I feel for the loss of life but it's thoughtless Thai bike riding at it's worst.

With the slightest feel for traffic/risks you would know that the truck driver might not be able to see you in the curve. A breathtaking maneuver gone wrong.

Similar accidents happen over and over again in German cities.

Just replace motorbike with bicycle.

2 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Come on, the bike was not in a legitimate position.  It was on the hard shoulder and that is not a legitimate traffic lane.  When he was hit the lorry was not cutting the corner, it was still on the correct side of the white line marking the hard shoulder, the trailer did cross the white line fractionally but that was after the bike rider had caused itself to be run over.

One quick look and one thought by the daft rider would have  averted this.

While I agree the trailer fractionally cut the white line of the 'hard shoulder' as you describe it - which looks very narrow- I was under the impression that lane is also for 'slow moving vehicles' as well as motorcycles?

It always seems a vague definition, as in reality it is also used for breakdowns, vendors selling food and miscellaneous items.

I'm sure someone will be able to explain the official designation of that lane.

2 hours ago, z42 said:

This donkey behind the wheel wasn't trying to flee, only took him 3km to stop.

Serious question, but is hit and run even a crime here?

RIP to the victim even if his driving certainly contributed to the outcome

Also, as someone else points out, most trucks have blind spots, which many don't seem to know/care about. Then again, who knows, this being Thailand. 

RIP to the motorcyclist.

This accident is a reflection of poor Thai behaviors and also lack of knowledge of regulations...

this is how thais drive....really the cyclist fault....both are side by side going into a turn....proper behavior is one following the other single file....some one must back off when heading into a curve....same BS when making a u-turn and some other car driver comes on my outside to make the u-turn at same time or the clsssic cyclist comes inside me to make u-turn...totally undiscipline drivers as was this motorcyclist...understanding geometry....

this is typical Thai driving behavior....vehicles moving parallel to each other on a curve/turn even only one lane exists yet poorly marked....

blame all around....like how other cyclist checks out the corpse but then speeds off....no bystander controls the scene...everyone looks and the scamper....needs to part of driver ED

2 hours ago, Nong Khai Man said:

LOOK AGAIN.....The Motorcyclist was in the correct position,It was the CLOWN Driving the truck ( Cutting the Corner ) who was at Fault....

I don't see it that way. The motorcyclists cutting up the wrong side of the truck ( overtaking on the wrong side, going into a corner also!), this is a common thing with Thais. Also travelling into the truck drivers blind-spot.

3 hours ago, keith101 said:

If you see the dashcam film you will see the motor cyclist was riding on on the hard shoulder , the big lorry was overtaking cutting the corner onto the hard shoulder and collided with the motorcycle . 

Archived