Video: Last moments of motorcyclist as 18 wheeler flees the scene

rooster59

3 hours ago, keith101 said:

Was the truck overtaking the motor bike or did the bike try to cut up the inside of the truck as so many do ?

Just saw the video of the bike trying to overtake the truck on the inside which was a major cause of this accident .

from what i saw the motor bike was under taking on the inside which in the UK is against the highway code so i see the bike rider in the wrong however there was enough room for the bike to move over when he saw that xxxxxxxxxxx big lorry. but these people dont see anything going on around them. very sad.  

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, keith101 said:

Was the truck overtaking the motor bike or did the bike try to cut up the inside of the truck as so many do ?

Just saw the video of the bike trying to overtake the truck on the inside which was a major cause of this accident .

100 % agree with you, what was the idiot on the bike thinking trying to overtake a semi going around a left corner on the left side. In my opinion, it is the bike riders own fault. I doubt that the driver of the truck even knew he had ran over the bike considering the weight difference, however since he says he didn't intend to flee the scene, I guess he must have.

The bike should've ridden defensively and let the lorry pass first because it's common sense. many accidents happen this way when bikes try to squeeze. This is Thailand and the standards of driving are very poor by turning cars and lorries, therefore it would be smart to drive or ride defensively.

The motorbike may have been on the hard shoulder, but he was "undertaking" and whilst  that is not against the law on a dual carriageway it is the height of stupidity to undertake a truck and trailer on a bend

The truck did stop, and the driver got out -took a look, then drove off.

I do not believe the truck driver was to blame for the accident, but failing to stop after an accident (and he was fully aware) should be heavily punished with a prison sentence IN ALL CASES!

3 hours ago, Nong Khai Man said:

LOOK AGAIN.....The Motorcyclist was in the correct position,It was the CLOWN Driving the truck ( Cutting the Corner ) who was at Fault....

The motorcyclist was 1, undertaking the truck (not advisable with a bend approaching) and 2, the motorcyclist was driving on the Hard Shoulder, which is not a legitimate driving lane and he should not have been there. The truck driver did cross the white line, but there should not, under any circumstances, been anyone driving on the inside at that point. A very sad accident, with blame on both sides.

anyways, it has nothing to do with the accident per se... but the 'fleeing from the scene of an accident' 

do truckies there these days ever carry that sign on the rear:

"If you cannot see my mirrors, I cannot see you"

It is quite clear that the motorcycle was 100% at fault (and yes, I am a bike rider).

For starters, the shoulder is NOT a "traffic" lane. It is the "shoulder". By rights (and law) the scooter should NOT have been riding on there at all (despite how almost everyone does it regardless).

However the scooter driver, after starting out in the middle of the shoulder, for some reason keeps going straight until he is at the right edge of it, as it starts to curve to the left and he was nearing the front of the truck. It is actually the scooter that makes contact with the truck, causing the scooter to crash.

The truck had his signals on and barely touched the white line dividing the left lane from the shoulder. Even if he noticed the scooter in his mirror, he would have (rightly) expected it to stay to the middle or left side of the shoulder like most people do. There is virtually no way the loaded truck/trailer could have avoided that accident at all.

When I watched that video, I got the impression that the scooter rider was trying to overtake the truck and cut in front of him, as though he thought the truck was going to go straight and stop at the lights.

The way he moved from the middle of the shoulder to the right side as he got close to the front of the truck made me think that he was thinking that the truck wasn't going to turn (even though his signal lights were on) and the scooter rider was going to try and squeeze ahead of him so that he'd be first at the lights going across the intersection.

You can see the scooter going straight, then the brake light comes on (on the scooter) but he doesn't start turning until he's almost on the white line and realizes the truck is turning. The brake light goes off and he starts to go left but it's too late. His momentum causes him to brush the truck and he's a goner.

Obviously the truck driver should have pulled over immediately, and should get nailed for leaving the scene of an accident (or the Thai equivalent of that), but the accident itself wasn't his fault.

This kind of thing happens so often, every day, all over the country. It's not a surprise that Thailand is usually in the top 2 for traffic accidents/fatalities in the world year after year.

8 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

It is quite clear that the motorcycle was 100% at fault (and yes, I am a bike rider).

For starters, the shoulder is NOT a "traffic" lane. It is the "shoulder". By rights (and law) the scooter should NOT have been riding on there at all (despite how almost everyone does it regardless).

However the scooter driver, after starting out in the middle of the shoulder, for some reason keeps going straight until he is at the right edge of it, as it starts to curve to the left and he was nearing the front of the truck. It is actually the scooter that makes contact with the truck, causing the scooter to crash.

The truck had his signals on and barely touched the white line dividing the left lane from the shoulder. Even if he noticed the scooter in his mirror, he would have (rightly) expected it to stay to the middle or left side of the shoulder like most people do. There is virtually no way the loaded truck/trailer could have avoided that accident at all.

When I watched that video, I got the impression that the scooter rider was trying to overtake the truck and cut in front of him, as though he thought the truck was going to go straight and stop at the lights.

The way he moved from the middle of the shoulder to the right side as he got close to the front of the truck made me think that he was thinking that the truck wasn't going to turn (even though his signal lights were on) and the scooter rider was going to try and squeeze ahead of him so that he'd be first at the lights going across the intersection.

You can see the scooter going straight, then the brake light comes on (on the scooter) but he doesn't start turning until he's almost on the white line and realizes the truck is turning. The brake light goes off and he starts to go left but it's too late. His momentum causes him to brush the truck and he's a goner.

Obviously the truck driver should have pulled over immediately, and should get nailed for leaving the scene of an accident (or the Thai equivalent of that), but the accident itself wasn't his fault.

This kind of thing happens so often, every day, all over the country. It's not a surprise that Thailand is usually in the top 2 for traffic accidents/fatalities in the world year after year.

A good assessment Kerry and as a rider myself I completely agree with you. I've now seen 3 videos on this forum where death has been the result of riding in the shoulder lane, at least too far over on the left and getting 'boxed in'. And, like all of us, I've seen many close shaves as a result of this dangerous practice.

Unless I'm passing another vehicle, I ride smack in the middle of the left hand lane and absolutely refuse to move into the so called 'motorcycle lane'. Which it isn't. It's too damn dangerous in there.

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:
16 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

For starters, the shoulder is NOT a "traffic" lane.

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You're wrong, in Thailand it's a bicycle and m/c lane.

And also a 'parking lane' and a chug along tuk tuk lane and a ghost rider's lane.

Whether it is a legal riding lane is very much debatable, but it's certainly not a safe place to be.

Sorry that the motorcyclist made a mistake that ended very, very badly for him. This is a common mistake by most motorcyclists in this part of the world, not just Thailand. Why do they need to undertake, or be inside the turn of a turning vehicle? That's the wrong place to be, no matter how one looks at it.

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

The bike to me looks to have a fairly legitimate, though not particularly advisable position. He is on the far inside well before the bend and in the overwhelming majority of occasions, he would have been fine.The lorry just cut the corner too tight, probably not realising the bike was there. One quick look in his mirrors would have alerted him, but many drivers here seem to have no clue what they are there for. I have seen more than a few drivers who adjust them so that they can see themselves, rather than the road behind them.

You would have been correct had it happened on a section of the two lane road they were both exiting however, undertaking is not allowed on a slip road.

11 minutes ago, outsider said:

Sorry that the motorcyclist made a mistake that ended very, very badly for him. This is a common mistake by most motorcyclists in this part of the world, not just Thailand. Why do they need to undertake, or be inside the turn of a turning vehicle? That's the wrong place to be, no matter how one looks at it.

Strange but true, turning vehicles do not have right of way in Thailand.

Those travelling straight do, and it doesn't matter if they are on your left or your right, they still have right of way.

22 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You're wrong, in Thailand it's a bicycle and m/c lane.

I'm not arguing against that, as I thought it was a bicycle and m/c lane too.

I'm still trying to find where it states this somewhere though.

So far I have only found this, where the definition of 'curbside' is not clear (to me anyway):

"Section 35

(400-1000B)

The driver of a truck, passenger vehicle, motorcycle, vehicle of low speed or traveling at lower speed than those of other vehicles moving in the same direction, shall keep to the curbside of the roadway as close as possible.

If such a roadway is divided into two or more traffic lanes in the same direction or has a bus lane specifically arranged on the left-hand side, the driver shall drive the vehicle in the outermost left-hand side lane or close to the bus lane, as the case may be."

Also, assuming that the very left-hand lane is a 'traffic lane', then 45(b) is interesting  (even though it doesn't apply in this particular situation):

"Section 45

(400-1000B)

[No driver shall overtake another vehicle from the left-side unless:

a. the vehicle to be overtaken is making a right turn or has given a signal that he is going to make a right turn

b. the roadway is arranged with two or more traffic lanes in the same direction.]"

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

The bike to me looks to have a fairly legitimate, though not particularly advisable position. He is on the far inside well before the bend and in the overwhelming majority of occasions, he would have been fine.The lorry just cut the corner too tight, probably not realising the bike was there. One quick look in his mirrors would have alerted him, but many drivers here seem to have no clue what they are there for. I have seen more than a few drivers who adjust them so that they can see themselves, rather than the road behind them.

The bike did not see the truck,and in the bend ,he went to the right and hit himself the truck. The truckdriver kept his line perfectly.

Or are my eyes better than yours?

4 hours ago, BestB said:

As long as there is an excuse , no matter how retarded or ridicoulos 

The motorcycle was behind the truck before the bend .

The truck slows down to take the bend.

The impatient bike driver starts to overtake the truck and speeds up.

In the bend ,the truckdriver keeps his line.

The motorcycle has too much speed for that bend and swerves to the right side

direction truck.

It is the biker that drives into the truck.

The truckdriver probably did not even feel it ,and can not see anything in his mirrors,because the biker is too close to the truck.

He will never take over a truck in a bend . 

People seem to forget the bike is where he was supposed to be the truck cut the corner. Blame for both as the bike driver knows truck drivers, drive like idiots, the truck driver knows there are always bikes on the inside lane. That said only one pays the price. RIP.

I couldn’t count the amount of times I’ve indicated to turn left in my car, only for some idiot on a bike try to overtake me on my left side usually with the intention to go straight on. Unfortunately with the majority of idiots on the roads here, combined with zero patience these collisions happen continuously. 

15 minutes ago, lucjoker said:

The bike did not see the truck,and in the bend ,he went to the right and hit himself the truck. The truckdriver kept his line perfectly.

Or are my eyes better than yours?

I think the MC driver took his chances and lost.  But it is painfully obvious, the driver of the truck did not maintain his position, crossed the white line into the MC/bicycle/shoulder.

image.png.39b027e61bac5ac49f2162237d80a183.png

image.png.7f77c3c05569ebdcce8c32c94b2a4c12.png

9 minutes ago, CanuckThai said:

I think the MC driver took his chances and lost.  But it is painfully obvious, the driver of the truck did not maintain his position, crossed the white line into the MC/bicycle/shoulder.

image.png.39b027e61bac5ac49f2162237d80a183.png

image.png.7f77c3c05569ebdcce8c32c94b2a4c12.png

not true, even after the hit ,the truckdriver is still in his lane.

He did start the bend about 1 m away from the bend ,as he should do,because this is the only and right way to do.If you passed  a truckdriver license ,you would know this .If not....dont argue.

4 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

Cleary the truck driver is guilty of failing to stop.  However the unfortunate death of the motor cyclist just typifies the stupidity of motorcyclists in Thailand.  This happens often. They do not have the common sense to understand the physical movement of a truck with trailer whilst making a left curve yet they are still stupid enough to undertake !!  Anyone who suggests that the motorcylist was not at fault for his/her own demise must be sadly lacking in road skills.

Have to agree with most posters here, as an experienced motorcycle rider of 40 plus years, the 1st thing I learnt was not to go up the inside of a car.

To be honest I have done it in the past, but with no corners coming up or left turns ahead, or right turns when overtaking, have even gone up the middle, i.e. it gets frustrating when cars either side of me heading in the same direction of a two lane motorway and you get the usual dichead hogging the right lane, your frustrations sometimes getting the better of you and you pull the throttle and launch into warp speed, either up the middle or the left or right side, but not before knowing you have both drivers face/s in their mirrors, sure it's risky, but your usually through in a blink of an eye.

In this case, I wouldn't have attempted passing the truck up the inside knowing a corner was coming up, that's as this bloke found out unfortunately, instant death.

I would say in this case the driver although having stopped at traffic lights just a little up the road, thought, hey you know what if I keep going, I might actually get away with it, meaning he made things worse for himself, because if he stopped, he could argue the fact that the motor scooter was going up his inside which he didn't see and is illegal, well I would hope it is here.

I am aware that Thai law is different to western countries and he would have to probably pay the victims family money for the motor scooter riders death, but that's what 1st class insurance is for right.

You have to be very shallow to drive off when you know you just went over someone, ooops forgot where I was for a moment.

RIP

1 minute ago, keith89 said:

And truck driver to lazy to use his mirrors

not so. Before the bend he checked his mirror,nobody next to him and a biker behind him. In the bend ,his eyes are to the front and there is nothing to see in that mirror ,blind angle .

The biker tried to overtake and swerved straight into the truck.....his mistake ,100%

Archived