BANGKOK 26 March 2019 09:30
rooster59

Video: Last moments of motorcyclist as 18 wheeler flees the scene

12 hours ago, petermik said:

Both rider and driver share responsibility....neither seem aware to what is around them......I was taught to drive defensively and always expect the unexpected....sadly the rider decided to undertake this double trailer truck on a relatively tight bend without considering what the driver would do and sadly paid the ultimate price....as we see time and time again on the roads here......nothing will ever change unfortunately.

RIP to the poor man :jap:

I drove double trailers for years in the states. But Thailand is in another world! Commercial driver rules of the road are to proceed with caution when entering a intersection especially when turning!

He should of been using his mirrors. The video clearly shows that the truck driver had view of the left side well before approaching the turn!

The motorbike should of never attempted to pass a trailer on the inside shoulder,even if it's a bike lane,he should know that from the rules of the road manual!

The second tandem was bouncing up and down ,with the tires in the air during the collision ! No way he didn't feel that(truck driver)!  He fled!!!

In Thailand many Thai's don't  follow the rules of the road!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by riclag
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, riclag said:

He should of been using his mirrors.

If you drove trucks for years, you shoul know that, with standard mirrors, there's usually a blind spot on the passenger side of the truck....right where the bike was as the truck turned.

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

If you drove trucks for years, you shoul know that, with standard mirrors, there's usually a blind spot on the passenger side of the truck....right where the bike was as the truck turned.

blind spot mirrors I wouldn't drive without them in the states

Just now, riclag said:

blind spot mirrors I wouldn't drive without them in the states

It became so common, in the UK, for cyclists to be killed in exactly the same way that blind spot mirrors are now mandatory, many trucks even have CCTV covering the blind spot.

• Like 2

I have ridden my bike all over thailand the one thing I know is never cut in on any vehicle making a left turn. Cars, vans, and trucks cut every cornor to sharp.

• Like 2

RIP to the rider but it is not only in Thailand that this kind of driving happen I was driving a semi 18 wheelers true Arizona at 60 mph and guess what someone passed me on the shoulder with a fast car it was a great surprise never thought someone would do that.

17 hours ago, Just Weird said:

The idiot in this case was the motorcyclist trying to overtake on the left.

Well the police has been known to fine riders for not keeping to the left, so can't really blame the rider who is just following the "rules". Of course not a smart thing to do from a rider point of view, but I wouldn't call him an idiot. 

18 hours ago, keith101 said:

Was the truck overtaking the motor bike or did the bike try to cut up the inside of the truck as so many do ?

Just saw the video of the bike trying to overtake the truck on the inside which was a major cause of this accident .

You need to go to Spec savers urgently, then look at the video again.

18 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

Cleary the truck driver is guilty of failing to stop.  However the unfortunate death of the motor cyclist just typifies the stupidity of motorcyclists in Thailand.  This happens often. They do not have the common sense to understand the physical movement of a truck with trailer whilst making a left curve yet they are still stupid enough to undertake !!  Anyone who suggests that the motorcylist was not at fault for his/her own demise must be sadly lacking in road skills.

Look again, the motorcyclist was riding steadily in the m/c lane. The truck definately cut the corner into the m/c lane and run him down. This truck drive obviously does not know how wide he should  place his truck to avoid enroaching on the m/c lane on a bend. HE is the guilty one not the M/c.

• Sad 1

Nong Khai man must be a Thai if he believes that the shoulder of the road

is a correct place to drive. RIP to the foolish man who was on the shoulder area and

did not take to the ditch to avoid the accident and his death.

Geezer

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Huckenfell said:

Look again, the motorcyclist was riding steadily in the m/c lane. The truck definately cut the corner into the m/c lane and run him down. This truck drive obviously does not know how wide he should  place his truck to avoid enroaching on the m/c lane on a bend. HE is the guilty one not the M/c.

Its not a motorcycle lane... its the edge of the road..... The motorcyclists was riding on the 'shoulder'... its not a lane, motorcycle lane or otherwise, although motorcylists (and yourself it seems) commonly think so and use it as such

The motorcyclist was 'nipping up the inside' of the truck to pass it and not really paying much attention to his own safety. 

100% the motorcyclists fault.

I've seen this many times.... I stop as a truck or bus is turning left and its clearly going to 'cut in' somewhat... others will squeeze past me and come within inches of getting caught by the inside of the turning truck or bus....  they just can't predict what's coming.

22 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

Cleary the truck driver is guilty of failing to stop.  However the unfortunate death of the motor cyclist just typifies the stupidity of motorcyclists in Thailand.  This happens often. They do not have the common sense to understand the physical movement of a truck with trailer whilst making a left curve yet they are still stupid enough to undertake !!  Anyone who suggests that the motorcylist was not at fault for his/her own demise must be sadly lacking in road skills.

Actually the driver did stop, got out had a look saw there was nothing he could do for the bike rider - then knowingly departed the scene of a fatal accident he was involved in.

3 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

Interesting comment re M/C lane................it is a hard shoulder to spread the load/weight of traffic using the nearside lane otherwise over time the nearside lane will subside. Obviously safer for a m/c to use the hard shoulder more often than not however not on this occasion.

The Dept of Land Transport should utilise such graphic videos to educate both bike riders & drivers of the risks in using the hard shoulder as a driving lane.