Video: Last moments of motorcyclist as 18 wheeler flees the scene

rooster59

Quote: "his (lorry driver) battery going flat on his phone". No doubt fiddling with, and looking at, his phone and not paying attention to the road or using his near-side rear view mirror! RIP motorcyclist. Two possible offences: illegal use of mobile phone and causing death by dangerous driving - lock him up.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Motor cyclist at fault.

Ultimately it was the biker who got in a jam with no road left paid the ultimate price and yes it was the biker who really shouldn’t of been in that location .. however had the driver of the truck been UK standard trained, I believe that this would of been totally avoided as mirroring is drilled into you before every turn..,,

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, lucjoker said:

The bike did not see the truck,and in the bend ,he went to the right and hit himself the truck. The truckdriver kept his line perfectly.

Or are my eyes better than yours?

"The truckdriver kept his line perfectly."

Screenshot 2018-12-15 at 16.41.28.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Quote: "his (lorry driver) battery going flat on his phone". No doubt fiddling with, and looking at, his phone and not paying attention to the road or using his near-side rear view mirror! RIP motorcyclist. Two possible offences: illegal use of mobile phone and causing death by dangerous driving - lock him up.

I agree with you that 1 offence for fiddling with his phone but on the second offence I would charge you with the same offence because if you open your eyes you would see that the truck is in a position that he would be looking at the traffic that would be coming up behind him in the lane that he is going to enter which is what every normal trained driver would be doing at that point not looking in the left hand mirror.

6 hours ago, Nong Khai Man said:

LOOK AGAIN.....The Motorcyclist was in the correct position,It was the CLOWN Driving the truck ( Cutting the Corner ) who was at Fault....

How can you say the motorcyclist was in the correct position? He was driving on the road shoulder! Although it is seldom or ever enforced, that is against the law. Also, watch closely as the bike comes into the curve. He does as so many do-veers to the right as he rounds the curve. Thais can't seem to be able to make tight turns.

4 minutes ago, flyingfox1 said:

Ultimately it was the biker who got in a jam with no road left paid the ultimate price and yes it was the biker who really shouldn’t of been in that location .. however had the driver of the truck been UK standard trained, I believe that this would of been totally avoided as mirroring is drilled into you before every turn..,,

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I am an Australian trained and qualified heavy vehicle driver and the position where the truck is I would not be checking my left hand mirror, I would be checking the traffic that is coming up from behind me in the lane that I am going to enter into. That is what any normal driver would be doing at that point.

6 hours ago, z42 said:

This donkey behind the wheel wasn't trying to flee, only took him 3km to stop.

Serious question, but is hit and run even a crime here?

RIP to the victim even if his driving certainly contributed to the outcome

In a country full of gun toting hot heads, fleeing and handing yourself into a police station is probably the most sensible thing to do. Avoiding the mob that will soon arrive looking for vengeance and self preservation needs to be considered.

10 years ago, I was in a bus that overturned because the driver fell asleep. He ran off which disgusted me at the time but now I fully understand why he thought that was the best option.

7 hours ago, darksidedog said:

The bike to me looks to have a fairly legitimate, though not particularly advisable position. He is on the far inside well before the bend and in the overwhelming majority of occasions, he would have been fine.The lorry just cut the corner too tight, probably not realising the bike was there. One quick look in his mirrors would have alerted him, but many drivers here seem to have no clue what they are there for. I have seen more than a few drivers who adjust them so that they can see themselves, rather than the road behind them.

Trucks always need more space to get around corners, especially with a trailer.

The guy on the bike was on the shoulder of the road and therefore not in a legitimate position.

A quick look in the mirror wouldn’t have done anything because the guy on the bike was too far to the left and too far ahead to be visible in the truck’s mirror. It’s called a dead angle.

He should’ve stayed behind the truck until they both made it around the corner.

15 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

I agree with you that 1 offence for fiddling with his phone but on the second offence I would charge you with the same offence because if you open your eyes you would see that the truck is in a position that he would be looking at the traffic that would be coming up behind him in the lane that he is going to enter which is what every normal trained driver would be doing at that point not looking in the left hand mirror.

All to our own opinion but I still think the lorry driver is at fault and I bet his concentration was solely on his mobile phone and not looking anywhere regarding the road. The lorries tires may be on the white line but there is overhang from the cab and trailer that could have hit the motorcyclist. Why did the lorry driver "do a runner'?

25 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

"The truckdriver kept his line perfectly."

Screenshot 2018-12-15 at 16.41.28.jpeg

Absolutely NOT! The white line by the wheels is the white spray paint used by the police accident investigators to indicate the position of the lorry. As clearly indicated by the arrow, the white road marking disappears under the rear flap of the trailer on a wider berth so lorry in WRONG position!!

8 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

All to our own opinion but I still think the lorry driver is at fault and I bet his concentration was solely on his mobile phone and not looking anywhere regarding the road. The lorries tires may be on the white line but there is overhang from the cab and trailer that could have hit the motorcyclist. Why did the lorry driver "do a runner'?

It is easy to see that you have never driven a heavy vehicle or you would know and understand what happens when you turn and that is a fact not an opinion. I am not talking about the driver doing a runner, I am only talking about what happens with a truck when it is turning a corner and how it tracks.

sorry for the motorcycle rider, imho the truck cut him off.

ALSO, ( was it mentioned before ? ) did you notice the truck driver getting out of the truck, look, and than disappear ?
just before the man with camera turns and runs to his car when he sees the truck moving away.

1 minute ago, KKr said:

sorry for the motorcycle rider, imho the truck cut him off.

ALSO, ( was it mentioned before ? ) did you notice the truck driver getting out of the truck, look, and than disappear ?
just before the man with camera turns and runs to his car when he sees the truck moving away.

You should open your eyes KKr because the truck is doing a left hand turn and had started his turn before the motorbike started to undertake the truck on a curve. It is commonsense that you do not undertake a truck when it is turning to the left. The motorbike should NOT have been in the position he was in. Motorbike is at fault.

11 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

It is easy to see that you have never driven a heavy vehicle or you would know and understand what happens when you turn and that is a fact not an opinion. I am not talking about the driver doing a runner, I am only talking about what happens with a truck when it is turning a corner and how it tracks.

You are absolutely correct, I have never driven a heavy goods vehicle but I did work in Police Forensics for 24 years. If you study the photo, the white line by the tyres/wheels is almost certainly white spray paint used by the Thai Police Accident Investigators to indicate the position of a vehicle at an accident. The white road marking clearly disappears under the rear flap of the trailer so, in my opinion, lorry in wrong position cutting corner.

1 hour ago, chang1 said:

Probably immediately saw the rider was dead before chasing 3kms, stopping and making a citizens arrest of the fleeing lorry driver. Well done to him for going beyond what most in the west would do in that situation.

What would you have done?

Chasing down anyone here is liable to add you to the casualty list first priority the body on the road signs of life difficult to check from 5m ????

6 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

You are absolutely correct, I have never driven a heavy goods vehicle but I did work in Police Forensics for 24 years. If you study the photo, the white line by the tyres/wheels is almost certainly white spray paint used by the Thai Police Accident Investigators to indicate the position of a vehicle at an accident. The white road marking clearly disappears under the rear flap of the trailer so, in my opinion, lorry in wrong position cutting corner.

You are wrong in your assumption about the rear wheels of the truck. I have also worked as a volunteer rescue worker for 17 years and with the NSW Police Accident Investigation Squad and part of my responsibility was to write the reports from the rescue association to go with the police reports for the NSW Coroner plus I spent 45 years driving large heavy vehicles and I know how they track on a corner and you are way off the mark. I suggest that you go and have a good look at some real heavy vehicles and see how the wheels track on the road especially when they are turning. That is the reason why large truck and trailer combinations turn from the lane adjacent to the curb lane and not from the curb lane because the rear wheels would go over the curb. These are the facts of the operation of a heavy vehicle.

22 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

You should open your eyes KKr because the truck is doing a left hand turn and had started his turn before the motorbike started to undertake the truck on a curve. It is commonsense that you do not undertake a truck when it is turning to the left. The motorbike should NOT have been in the position he was in. Motorbike is at fault.

and the truck should have stayed in lane.
In Thailand, the hard shoulder is commonly used for cyclists and motorbikes, and many other vehicles that cannot keep up with the pace of four wheeled traffic.
And I am glad they do, so cars do not have to swing right and left all the time, just move to the right side of the lane and that is sufficient for save passage of slow traffic.

7 minutes ago, KKr said:

In Thailand, the hard shoulder is commonly used for cyclists and motorbikes, and many other vehicles that cannot keep up with the pace of four wheeled traffic.
And I am glad they do, so cars do not have to swing right and left all the time, just move to the right side of the lane and that is sufficient for save passage of slow traffic.

You have never driven a heavy vehicle so you do not know what you are talking about. The rear of all heavy vehicles will track inside the turning circle because of their length it is a fact not a fiction. this truck did not stray out of his lane and he did not cut the corner, his track is the normal track for a heavy vehicle. The bike rider should not have tried to pass on the inside of the turning truck that is why it is called "undertaking" which means Suicide and a visit to the undertaker. Bike rider at fault.

11 minutes ago, KKr said:

I totally agree with you but there is one other "farang' heavy goods vehicle driver who totally disagrees with both of us - such is life (or not in the case of the motorcyclist RIP)

14 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

You have never driven a heavy vehicle so you do not know what you are talking about. The rear of all heavy vehicles will track inside the turning circle because of their length it is a fact not a fiction. this truck did not stray out of his lane, his track is the normal track for a heavy vehicle. The bike rider should not have tried to pass on the inside of the turning truck that is why it is called "undertaking" which means Suicide and a visit to the undertaker. Bike rider at fault.

I will not post a copy of my driving license, nor my resume. Your comments about driving skills are up to you.

your logic is similar to saying that the buses, on the mountain roads in the North, invariably have to take the corner in the middle of two lanes because that is the normal track.
Strangely enough, it seems all Green buses have a different track because they stay in lane. 
Or maybe they have skilled drivers? 

below sequence of screen-shots shows that the motorbike was on the right hand side of his track, and that the truck veered into the bike's lane. In your opinion the bike at fault, in my opinion the truck went out of lane, and that has nothing to do with the "normal track" because it is not the trailer but the front wheels.

Let's leave it to the forensic department of the RTP to decide.

In any case, RIP motor bike rider.

But, anyway, that the truck stopped, someone comes and looks at the carnage, and then drives off is unacceptable.
Good for the People that made the Citizen's Arrest.

Screen Shot 2018-12-15 at 18.43.18.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-15 at 18.43.19.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-15 at 18.43.19 1.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-15 at 18.43.20.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-15 at 18.43.21.png

1 minute ago, Burma Bill said:

I totally agree with you but there is one other "farang' heavy goods vehicle driver who totally disagrees with both of us - such is life (or not in the case of the motorcyclist RIP)

Maybe because I have more experience and knowledge on the way that heavy vehicles operate than both of you. So please feel free to try and undertake the next heavy vehicle that you see turning left and then you might be able to accept the facts

I'm not even sure the Truck was aware of the incident.... 

I've not read all the comments, but as a bike rider being on the inside of any traffic, particularly a lorry, especially a lorry with a trailer is a big no-no for this very reason.

Either slow down and let the lorry go, or accelerate in front of it.

IMO - the motorcyclist was at fault here... a tragic ignorance of the position he was placing himself in.

The lorry with a trailer is always going to cut the corner to some degree - this is pretty much unavoidable. The motorcyclist cutting up the inside lane, or rather remaining on the inside lane would have survived if he were riding defensively, instead it appears that the motorcyclist undertook the lorry and in doing so placed himself in mortal danger. 

Just now, KKr said:

I will not post a copy of my driving license, nor my resume.

Screen Shot 2018-12-15 at 18.43.18.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-15 at 18.43.19.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-15 at 18.43.19 1.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-15 at 18.43.20.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-15 at 18.43.21.png

Notice how far the scooter is from the grass. If he'd got to the inside of his lane, it would never have happened. Didn't he see the truck? Why didn't he move over? Only natural to aim for the apex when rounding a bend. Clearly hadn't a clue how to ride a bike.

9 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Maybe because I have more experience and knowledge on the way that heavy vehicles operate than both of you. So please feel free to try and undertake the next heavy vehicle that you see turning left and then you might be able to accept the facts

I agree with KKr and that is a fact!!

11 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

appreciate your constructive comments.

Archived