Video: Last moments of motorcyclist as 18 wheeler flees the scene

rooster59

7 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Notice how far the scooter is from the grass. If he'd got to the inside of his lane, it would never have happened. Didn't he see the truck? Why didn't he move over? Only natural to aim for the apex when rounding a bend. Clearly hadn't a clue how to ride a bike.

it is odd indeed, seems to me he was trying to get through the bend before the truck and did not make it.
consequently, and unfortunately, because of him riding on the RHS of the lane, possibly avoiding gravel and sand on the road, who knows, and the truck coming in, they had an unfortunate encounter.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, keith101 said:

Was the truck overtaking the motor bike or did the bike try to cut up the inside of the truck as so many do ?

Just saw the video of the bike trying to overtake the truck on the inside which was a major cause of this accident .

Yes, it looks at the beginning of the video like the motorbike is behind the truck and overtakes on the inside, however quickly moving into the shoulder; but in a turn with a big long vehicle it's not an ideal position.

So many times these motorcycle riders overtake on the left.

ive been hit twice by them.

whilst I hate to see anyone hurt, it’s their own fault.

he was not on any road.

in Australia we are taught that as a tax paying motorcycle rider we are and correctly so entitled to ride on a lane and in the middle.

sorry to his family, and so many others who do this but it’s your destiny.

3 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

I agree with KKr and that is a fact!!

I have only manoeuvred large lorries and not driven anything larger than 7.5 tonnes on the road but that is plenty enough to understand how difficult it is to watch out for all dangers while moving at speed around a corner and joining another road. 

At the start of the corner the driver may have seen the bike but due to the distance would have trouble judging his speed so not realized the rider would be so stupid as to try undertaking him. The driver then has to concentrate on going around the bend while looking for a safe way to join the other road so would not have much time to see if any fools are undertaking or even overtaking a very large vehicle on a narrow bend even if they are not in a blind spot.  

I still have not seen any evidence that the Thai highway code says it is OK for a bike to undertake a lorry on a bend using the hard shoulder (although it would not surprise me).

You and Kkr need to understand you cannot compare car driving to what this lorry driver has to do.

I know we all love to have a go at the standard of Thai driving but I find truck drivers are the best drivers in Thailand. Obviously the bar is pretty low to begin with and there are many who are dangerous. 

8 hours ago, VYCM said:

See this all too often, truck driver is indicating that he is turning left and motorbike undertakes.

In Australia trucks have right of way when turning left, it is against the law to overtake turning vehicles.

I'm amazed there is not a lot more deaths here like this.

I would hate to drive a heavy vehicle in Thailand, these riders dont respect their own life.

What an idiot. 

Exactly! Lots of people responding here seem totally unaware of traffic and what it’s like to drive a truck. Trucks have blind angles and where this motorcycle rider is, the truck driver can’t see him. There are also many here who thinks the trucker tries to escape. No: He simply can’t feel it when the wheels roll over the bike. Idiots are idiots. Sad it ended with another fatality, but the motorcyclist should clearly have stayed begin the truck!!!

8 minutes ago, chang1 said:

I have only manoeuvred large lorries and not driven anything larger than 7.5 tonnes on the road but that is plenty enough to understand how difficult it is to watch out for all dangers while moving at speed around a corner and joining another road. 

You mean dangers like crossing the white line at the edge of the road?

This truck driver surely should have his license revoked

1 hour ago, sammieuk1 said:

Chasing down anyone here is liable to add you to the casualty list first priority the body on the road signs of life difficult to check from 5m ????

You really think there would be any signs of life after seeing a fully loaded truck and trailer bounce over him? 

I was replying to this -

sammieuk1 said:

"The fastest first responder to leg it in history no hope is there"

As you will agree what he did was very courageous so I think that shows a lot of hope.

13 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

You mean dangers like crossing the white line at the edge of the road?

This truck driver surely should have his license revoked

Go and stand near a similar lane and watch how lorries actually need to use the road. All lorries cross white lines.

20 minutes ago, Pisdjuk said:

There are also many here who thinks the trucker tries to escape. No: He simply can’t feel it when the wheels roll over the bike. Idiots are idiots.

Before you call someone an idiot, you should have had another look at the video. The truck bounces over the biker. The driver then stops up the road and gets out and has a good look before fleeing.

2 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Absolutely NOT! The white line by the wheels is the white spray paint used by the police accident investigators to indicate the position of the lorry. As clearly indicated by the arrow, the white road marking disappears under the rear flap of the trailer on a wider berth so lorry in WRONG position!!

I am sorry sir, it has nothing to do with any spray by the police since  it is a screenshot I have done in the video and so, yes  the white line at the back is clearly the line of the lane not respected by the lorry, the arrow I made myself to show the lorry is clearly not respecting the line, so no offence but I think you misunderstood, I answered  the sentence "The truckdriver kept his line perfectly" I did not write it but quoted it:smile: with the picture to show it was wrong. 

37 minutes ago, chang1 said:

You really think there would be any signs of life after seeing a fully loaded truck and trailer bounce over him? 

I was replying to this -

sammieuk1 said:

"The fastest first responder to leg it in history no hope is there"

As you will agree what he did was very courageous so I think that shows a lot of hope.

who knows not you for sure????

18 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

I am sorry sir, it has nothing to do with any spray by the police since  it is a screenshot I have done in the video and so, yes  the white line at the back is clearly the line of the lane not respected by the lorry, the arrow I made myself to show the lorry is clearly not respecting the line, so no offence but I think you misunderstood, I answered  the sentence "The truckdriver kept his line perfectly" I did not write it but quoted it:smile: with the picture to show it was wrong. 

It seems some people are unable to see the forest for the trees here... 

This is Thailand... yet many are applying Western rules to the letter and that the lorry's trailer crossed the white line - Yes, OK it did. And the whole of the Motorcycle crossed the white line....

The motorcyclist was in the wrong and he tragically paid for his carelessness with his life. 

The Truck Driver 'could' have prevented the trailer from cutting the corner slightly, but its not unrealistic for any other vehicle in the area to expect that the trailer will cut the line - its just normal here and wouldn't be abnormal in the UK or any other country. 

The motorcyclists is guilty of making a grave misjudgment - thats all. 

21 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

The lorry has almost 2 lanes to maneuver his vehicle. Let's hope you are not a truck driver on a road I use.

That lorry and trailer has 22 wheels which is probably over 5 times what you are used to taking care with. He needs far more room than you think and cannot keep an eye on every part of the road he uses. The driver will naturally keep to the center of the road which includes the hard shoulder. Anyone who tries to undertake on a bend is insane.

Don't panic I am not a truck driver so you are quite safe unless you think undertaking a turning lorry is sensible no matter how wide the road is.

33 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Who is drunk?

image.png.4df00fcc97c44d80a8f964568b966de5.png

Possibly the person who thinks the lorry driver is a murderer. Looks more likely that the biker committed suicide by deliberately riding where it was obvious the lorry is likely to go.

4 minutes ago, chang1 said:

That lorry and trailer has 22 wheels which is probably over 5 times what you are used to taking care with. He needs far more room than you think and cannot keep an eye on every part of the road he uses. The driver will naturally keep to the center of the road which includes the hard shoulder. Anyone who tries to undertake on a bend is insane.

Don't panic I am not a truck driver so you are quite safe unless you think undertaking a turning lorry is sensible no matter how wide the road is.

22 wheels don't make him wider. If you look the video you will notice he has at least half a lane free space on his right side.

Why he didn't use that one instead of the hard shoulder?

12 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

And the whole of the Motorcycle crossed the white line....

Probably you have another video as the one in the OP, but I don't see the motorcycle crossing the white line at all.

The motorcycle stays on the hard shoulder from the beginning till he is crushed by the truck, who shouldn't be on the hard shoulder espexially since he has plenty of free space to his right side

1 hour ago, Pisdjuk said:

There are also many here who thinks the trucker tries to escape. No: He simply can’t feel it when the wheels roll over the bike.

please review the video.  the truck goes out of frame for a short time, but when the camera pans back you can see the truck stopped a hundred meters or so beyond the accident scene.

at about 31 seconds the driver appears at the back of the truck, does a quick jog towards the scene, at 35 seconds realizes what happened, then casually saunters back to the cab, pulling off at the 45-second point.

Just now, janclaes47 said:

The motorcycle stays on the hard shoulder from the beginning till he is crushed by the truck, who shouldn't be on the hard shoulder espexially since he has plenty of free space to his right side

He has much more space to his left side so why didn't he use it to avoid the truck?

14 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

22 wheels don't make him wider. If you look the video you will notice he has at least half a lane free space on his right side.

Why he didn't use that one instead of the hard shoulder?

Not wider but much longer.

His front wheels would have been well over but the back wheels will always take a different route (assuming no rear wheel steering). You cannot expect lorries to drive against the barrier all the time just in case a bike is undertaking. They will want space on both sides.

People who think this is all the trucks fault, are obviously motorcyclist themselves who think they own every square inch of the road and constantly taking every short cut possible to gain an advantage.

This is strictly the motorcyclist fault, your driving on the shoulder passing a truck going into a sharp turn.

RIP ......

the rest of you crazy motorcyclist take note !!!!

2 minutes ago, zaZa9 said:

This video is not recent.

Nor does the truck 'flee' the scene ... it can be seen stopped on the upper left at the end of the vid.

Im tired of reading made up crap !

It doesn't stay for long.

Just now, chang1 said:

He was going too fast.

If you can ride a bike you'd know that if you take a bend at speed, half way round the bend, which he was, you should be hitting the apex of the bend, not out wide on the outside of the bend.

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

If you can ride a bike you'd know that if you take a bend at speed, half way round the bend, which he was, you should be hitting the apex of the bend, not out wide on the outside of the bend.

That is where sand and gravel collects. You would not last long on Thai roads.

Archived