Video: Last moments of motorcyclist as 18 wheeler flees the scene

rooster59

3 minutes ago, jimmyjam said:

and typical Locals,,,, 2 people stopped to look and take pics and left and the videor left as well.

no one gets out to help....   pathetic 

Have another read and see why the camera car leaves.

How can you help what was left of him?

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are plenty of idiots in every country (though Thailand has more than most). I was once cut up by an old type of mini which cut in front of me. I was driving an armoured vehicle at the time, which may as well not have any brakes. To this day, whoever was driving that car has no idea how lucky they are to be alive.

2 minutes ago, chang1 said:

That is where sand and gravel collects. You would not last long on Thai roads.

I've lasted for a number of years on Thai roads. No sign of sand or gravel on that particular road. He could have throttled back and moved away from the wagon or even taken to the grass. If he had, he'd be alive today.

All those blaming the lorry driver need to ask yourself why are there no other lorry drivers criticizing him. Only people who appear to be clueless about how large vehicles are driven seem to make these comments. How anyone can defend the reckless actions of the biker is very odd. 

Sure the driver could have made more room but why should he? The bike should never have been there. 

20 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It seems some people are unable to see the forest for the trees here... 

This is Thailand... yet many are applying Western rules to the letter and that the lorry's trailer crossed the white line - Yes, OK it did. And the whole of the Motorcycle crossed the white line....

The motorcyclist was in the wrong and he tragically paid for his carelessness with his life. 

The Truck Driver 'could' have prevented the trailer from cutting the corner slightly, but its not unrealistic for any other vehicle in the area to expect that the trailer will cut the line - its just normal here and wouldn't be abnormal in the UK or any other country. 

The motorcyclists is guilty of making a grave misjudgment - thats all. 

Personally, I have a car and a motorbike since in Samui it hard to find a parking place I drive my motorbike almost every day but whatever the speed I almost never overtake any car because I'm driving exactly as if no car in this country had a rear-view mirror LOL. So I did not mean the motorcycle driver was not in the wrong, But when someone wants to demonstrate something one must remain in good faith. and when I did read: The truck driver kept his line perfectly"  it was a bit too much since the lorry clearly did not, hence the screenshot of the movie. 

I can quite believe that the truck driver was not aware that the accident had occured   He was sitting on the off-side in a truck that was probably making quite a considerable noise.

However, it would seem from the video that he was aware of an incident as he first stopped the truck less than 100 metres from the accident and then moved it further on to safely park it off road before walking back to the scene of the accident.   He walked 3km ? ? ?

In many countries, undertaking is in breach of the law   It is so in Thailand too but frequently ignored   Not just by the "drivers" but by the police.   And while the police ignore enforcing the driving laws of Thailand Thai motorbike drivers will continue to keep Thailand close to the top of the road death stats worldwide

The quality of reporting should probably also be investigated.   Who ever provided the 3km report could well prove to be a fake news generator.

Again, will ThaiVisa follow-up on the outcome of this tradgedy and in this case on the reliabilty of the source ?

It's too bad that this country does not have judicial caning for bastards that flee the accident scenes! 28 years old driving a truck with a towed carriage? What type of experience do they have not to mention their level of intelligence.

18 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I've lasted for a number of years on Thai roads. No sign of sand or gravel on that particular road. He could have throttled back and moved away from the wagon or even taken to the grass. If he had, he'd be alive today.

Totally agree but I would still stay clear of the verge (and lorries) when cornering on a bike.

Just now, chang1 said:

Totally agree but I would still stay clear of the verge (and lorries) when cornering on a bike.

Me too.

The problem with that is that we're not a young Thai guy who thinks his amulet gives him invincibility.

7 minutes ago, wvavin said:

It's too bad that this country does not have judicial caning for bastards that flee the accident scenes! 28 years old driving a truck with a towed carriage? What type of experience do they have not to mention their level of intelligence.

He didn't flee the scene, he just went off down the road to see if he could find someone to blame.

19 minutes ago, MrMo said:

I can quite believe that the truck driver was not aware that the accident had occured   He was sitting on the off-side in a truck that was probably making quite a considerable noise.

However, it would seem from the video that he was aware of an incident as he first stopped the truck less than 100 metres from the accident and then moved it further on to safely park it off road before walking back to the scene of the accident.   He walked 3km ? ? ?

In many countries, undertaking is in breach of the law   It is so in Thailand too but frequently ignored   Not just by the "drivers" but by the police.   And while the police ignore enforcing the driving laws of Thailand Thai motorbike drivers will continue to keep Thailand close to the top of the road death stats worldwide

The quality of reporting should probably also be investigated.   Who ever provided the 3km report could well prove to be a fake news generator.

Again, will ThaiVisa follow-up on the outcome of this tradgedy and in this case on the reliabilty of the source ?

Where is there an accurate account of what happened as it is very wrong to say he fled if all he did was park up.

Just now, chang1 said:

Where is there an accurate account of what happened as it is very wrong to say he fled if all he did was park up.

In Thailand, you must leave your vehicle in the position it stopped in, even if it's blocking the road. The number of times I've seen roads blocked off because 2 people have had a slight bump and won't move their vehicles until the insurance company and police attend the scene. Crazy but TiT and we love it!

11 hours ago, VYCM said:

See this all too often, truck driver is indicating that he is turning left and motorbike undertakes.

In Australia trucks have right of way when turning left, it is against the law to overtake turning vehicles.

I'm amazed there is not a lot more deaths here like this.

I would hate to drive a heavy vehicle in Thailand, these riders dont respect their own life.

What an idiot. 

In Australia is it legal to even operate your motor vehicle on the shoulder and any conditions except an emergency situation? In Thailand, land of the "motorcycle disease", many motorcyclists operate their vehicles routinely as if they are in an emergency situation (until it becomes a real one).

12 hours ago, petermik said:

Both rider and driver share responsibility....neither seem aware to what is around them......I was taught to drive defensively and always expect the unexpected....sadly the rider decided to undertake this double trailer truck on a relatively tight bend without considering what the driver would do and sadly paid the ultimate price....as we see time and time again on the roads here......nothing will ever change unfortunately.

RIP to the poor man :jap:

I drove double trailers for years in the states. But Thailand is in another world! Commercial driver rules of the road are to proceed with caution when entering a intersection especially when turning!

He should of been using his mirrors. The video clearly shows that the truck driver had view of the left side well before approaching the turn!

The motorbike should of never attempted to pass a trailer on the inside shoulder,even if it's a bike lane,he should know that from the rules of the road manual!

The second tandem was bouncing up and down ,with the tires in the air during the collision ! No way he didn't feel that(truck driver)!  He fled!!!

In Thailand many Thai's don't  follow the rules of the road!!!!!!!!!!!

23 minutes ago, riclag said:

He should of been using his mirrors.

If you drove trucks for years, you shoul know that, with standard mirrors, there's usually a blind spot on the passenger side of the truck....right where the bike was as the truck turned.

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

If you drove trucks for years, you shoul know that, with standard mirrors, there's usually a blind spot on the passenger side of the truck....right where the bike was as the truck turned.

blind spot mirrors I wouldn't drive without them in the states

Just now, riclag said:

blind spot mirrors I wouldn't drive without them in the states

It became so common, in the UK, for cyclists to be killed in exactly the same way that blind spot mirrors are now mandatory, many trucks even have CCTV covering the blind spot.

RIP to the rider but it is not only in Thailand that this kind of driving happen I was driving a semi 18 wheelers true Arizona at 60 mph and guess what someone passed me on the shoulder with a fast car it was a great surprise never thought someone would do that.

13 hours ago, Nong Khai Man said:

LOOK AGAIN.....The Motorcyclist was in the correct position,It was the CLOWN Driving the truck ( Cutting the Corner ) who was at Fault....

The motorcyclist was not in the correct position. He should not race up the inside of a huge truck that is about to turn. Ridiculous to blame the truck driver in this instance! My condolences to the motorcyclists family but I am afraid it was his own fault.

17 hours ago, Just Weird said:

The idiot in this case was the motorcyclist trying to overtake on the left.

Well the police has been known to fine riders for not keeping to the left, so can't really blame the rider who is just following the "rules". Of course not a smart thing to do from a rider point of view, but I wouldn't call him an idiot. 

18 hours ago, keith101 said:

Was the truck overtaking the motor bike or did the bike try to cut up the inside of the truck as so many do ?

Just saw the video of the bike trying to overtake the truck on the inside which was a major cause of this accident .

You need to go to Spec savers urgently, then look at the video again.

18 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

Cleary the truck driver is guilty of failing to stop.  However the unfortunate death of the motor cyclist just typifies the stupidity of motorcyclists in Thailand.  This happens often. They do not have the common sense to understand the physical movement of a truck with trailer whilst making a left curve yet they are still stupid enough to undertake !!  Anyone who suggests that the motorcylist was not at fault for his/her own demise must be sadly lacking in road skills.

Look again, the motorcyclist was riding steadily in the m/c lane. The truck definately cut the corner into the m/c lane and run him down. This truck drive obviously does not know how wide he should  place his truck to avoid enroaching on the m/c lane on a bend. HE is the guilty one not the M/c.

1 hour ago, Huckenfell said:

Look again, the motorcyclist was riding steadily in the m/c lane. The truck definately cut the corner into the m/c lane and run him down. This truck drive obviously does not know how wide he should  place his truck to avoid enroaching on the m/c lane on a bend. HE is the guilty one not the M/c.

Its not a motorcycle lane... its the edge of the road..... The motorcyclists was riding on the 'shoulder'... its not a lane, motorcycle lane or otherwise, although motorcylists (and yourself it seems) commonly think so and use it as such

The motorcyclist was 'nipping up the inside' of the truck to pass it and not really paying much attention to his own safety. 

100% the motorcyclists fault.

I've seen this many times.... I stop as a truck or bus is turning left and its clearly going to 'cut in' somewhat... others will squeeze past me and come within inches of getting caught by the inside of the turning truck or bus....  they just can't predict what's coming.

22 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

Cleary the truck driver is guilty of failing to stop.  However the unfortunate death of the motor cyclist just typifies the stupidity of motorcyclists in Thailand.  This happens often. They do not have the common sense to understand the physical movement of a truck with trailer whilst making a left curve yet they are still stupid enough to undertake !!  Anyone who suggests that the motorcylist was not at fault for his/her own demise must be sadly lacking in road skills.

Actually the driver did stop, got out had a look saw there was nothing he could do for the bike rider - then knowingly departed the scene of a fatal accident he was involved in.

3 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

Interesting comment re M/C lane................it is a hard shoulder to spread the load/weight of traffic using the nearside lane otherwise over time the nearside lane will subside. Obviously safer for a m/c to use the hard shoulder more often than not however not on this occasion.

The Dept of Land Transport should utilise such graphic videos to educate both bike riders & drivers of the risks in using the hard shoulder as a driving lane. 

Archived