Video: Thai bus driver lets young son take the wheel so he can chat on phone

rooster59

Video: Thai bus driver lets young son take the wheel so he can chat on phone

48378356_1078120522360508_209699669398257664_n.jpg

A bus driver in Phuket has been criticised after video footage showed him letting his young son take the wheel so he could use his mobile phone.

Footage of the incident was uploaded to Facebook on Saturday.

The person who posted it said she booked a ticket with the Phatthalung Thaksin bus company on Friday to travel from Phuket to Phatthalung. When she made the booking she was told that the bus was fully booked but that the driver may be able to find extra seating room for her.

However, when she got on the bus there was only standing room. She complained to the driver and was told to sit on the ledge behind the driver’s seat, where three other passengers were already sitting.

During the journey, the woman noticed that the driver had his son sitting on his lap and that he appeared to be “teaching his son how to drive”.

To make matters worse, the driver later let the son take the wheel so he could make a video call on his mobile phone.

People commenting on the video criticised the driver and called on the authorities to take action.

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-12-16

17 minutes ago, petedk said:

Just when you think you have seen it all ....

I can't believe that a bus driver can be so irresponsible.

I guess if anything had happened, the driver would have blamed it on brake failure.

Of course it would be brake failure: His son's failure to reach the brake pedals.

25 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

When she made the booking she was told that the bus was fully booked but that the driver may be able to find extra seating room for her.

However, when she got on the bus there was only standing room. She complained to the driver and was told to sit on the ledge behind the driver’s seat, where three other passengers were already sitting.

The lady was obviously irritated with her ride and the driver for some reason and tried to take out her frustation on the driver for her own stupidity, by taking this video. She knew already when she bought her ticket that the bus was fully booked. <deleted>

40 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

She complained to the driver and was told to sit on the ledge behind the driver’s seat, where three other passengers were already sitting.

So why is the bus company selling tickets when there are no seats......I thought everyone had to sit in a seat with a seat belt. she was told the driver may be able to find extra seating........maybe he has a few folding chairs on the roof? if he had to brake suddenly ( assuming the brakes work of course ) he would have 4 adults flying at him from behind !!!! Un-Be- Lievable....

Reminds of the incident 3 or 4 years ago, same scenario except that the driver was cradling his baby in his arm and giving the baby milk with a baby bottle and one hand on the steering wheel. And most of the time focused on the baby. All recorded on a video.

My extended family laugh at my Thai son who very occasionally takes a bus or van, or perhaps his wife and 3 kids. The family say he's too serious. One time on relating an incident his old loud aunt told him 'your just a trouble maker, no need to be so serious, the behavior of the driver is up to him and not your business'.

Son and wife's rule is; any evidence of poor driving, inappropriate behavior, using the phone while driving and they politely insist on stopping at the next town and they get out, nothing said except my son ensures he carefully takes photos / small video of the driver and the rego plates.

Son quickly sends the photo / video to a police site. Son says most times he's done this there's quick phone call from the cops asking for more details re location, van colour etc.

Son and wife are of course luckier than most they have a few more Baht in their pocket and can make a quick call for me to do an i.banking transfer for more funds to get another bus or hire a car or whatever.

9 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

The lady was obviously irritated with her ride and the driver for some reason and tried to take out her frustation on the driver for her own stupidity, by taking this video. She knew already when she bought her ticket that the bus was fully booked. <deleted>

"....When she made the booking she was told that the bus was fully booked but that the driver may be able to find extra seating room for her."

26 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

And that the son would be driving the bus?

Any further replies should be directed to 'The Ministry of Silly Posts'

Any Gov't office,Bangkok.

1 hour ago, petedk said:

I guess if anything had happened, the driver would have blamed it on brake failure.

Something irresponsible ??? this is sooo Thai !!!

And you are right about the blaming to !!!

5 hours ago, petedk said:

Or no way his son could possibly reach the brake pedals.

Social media is the only way to highlight this behaviour and force some police activity as they rarely inspect or take reports seriously of careless or inappropriate public service vehicle driver behaviour. Coupled with the lack of consequences even when they are caught adds up to worse and worse practices.

5 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Whoosh. That is the sound of the point zooming over your head. Is English your second language? Your comprehension skills are sorely lacking. I'll type slowly so you can understand. A child was allowed to take control of a bus. Do you get it now?

6 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Vacuum indeed.

Archived