Jump to content
BANGKOK 24 January 2019 02:51
rooster59

Expat from Hua Hin to attempt to cross Gulf of Thailand on a paddle board

Recommended Posts

37 minutes ago, madmen said:

Heck I would swim if no other option if I was stuck in that boring sleepy gods waiting room

I was thinking I would swim across next year.

 

Find the most favourable time of year; tides, wind, predators etc.. And what would be easier; Pattaya to Hua Hin or the other way round. I would need a support craft of some sort and a couple of trustworthy people to pass drinks and remove any waste. Take plenty of neem gel to scare sharks away.

 

Would I need a cage? I'll look into it.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

No doubt he will make it and just as he about to land at Pattaya beach he get's cut down by a jetski.

 yeah easy to equate with the image...

 

Just his luck instead that, - just as he's about to land at Pattaya - he gets take away by Immigration when they accuse him of paddling instead from Cambodia

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He is crazy to paddle in that direction. Should go Pattaya to HH. Wind is almost always from NE which means he will paddle upwind rather than downwind. This makes a huge difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, owl sees all said:

year; tides, wind, predators etc.. 

 

count on getting eaten upon arrival to pattaya

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Molokai hawaii race is the top open ocean sup race. 51 km usually downwind. Fastest pro time is 4 hours or 13 km/hr. so the best pro in the world would do Pattaya to HH in about 9 hours. A normal paddler would be half as fast or 18 hours to cross. But if you paddle into the wind it can more than double the transit time. Also December and June have the most extreme tides which will push you either north or south as the tid moves in the gulf. I would start at high tide in Pattaya and paddle directly downwind letting the wind determine the landing location on HH side. Probably would end up between cha am and Prachuap. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

yes anything to escape super boring Hua Hin. I live here and know just how be feels.

 

don't tell him there is a ferry to Pattaya. :cheesy:

 

good luck. he looks happy.

Hope the captain sees him or.... well you know the outcome !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jaiyen88 said:

He is crazy to paddle in that direction. Should go Pattaya to HH. Wind is almost always from NE which means he will paddle upwind rather than downwind. This makes a huge difference.

You are absolutely right! I will cross the Gulf from Pattaya to Hua Hin. There is an error in the title of the article.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hummin said:

Have a good one, should be 12 hours under the right conditions. ? 

I think it will take 18-22 hours. I don't expect perfect conditions all the way. The strength of the wind and its direction will change during the day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Vlad77 said:

I think it will take 18-22 hours. I don't expect perfect conditions all the way. The strength of the wind and its direction will change during the day.

Keep us updated, and good luck. Love to paddle SUP myselves and freedive. Do you know any freedivers around Hua Hin?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jaiyen88 said:

The Molokai hawaii race is the top open ocean sup race. 51 km usually downwind. Fastest pro time is 4 hours or 13 km/hr. so the best pro in the world would do Pattaya to HH in about 9 hours. A normal paddler would be half as fast or 18 hours to cross. But if you paddle into the wind it can more than double the transit time. Also December and June have the most extreme tides which will push you either north or south as the tid moves in the gulf. I would start at high tide in Pattaya and paddle directly downwind letting the wind determine the landing location on HH side. Probably would end up between cha am and Prachuap. 

You write absolutely true! I plan to start from Pattaya at 4am and reach the west coast of the bay at midnight. Here will be my geolocation on the way: https://aus-share.inreach.garmin.com/T3UGX More information and the exact start date on my page in FB: https://www.facebook.com/vladimir.kruchinin.7

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Sponsors
×