I don't understand Phuket, I don't really like it here....

hydraides

On 12/16/2018 at 11:51 AM, hydraides said:

So why on earth does everything in phuket have to be 10-50% high price. It makes no sense......

The law of supply and demand. Like everywhere else. :)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Marco777 said:
On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 11:51 PM, hydraides said:

So why on earth does everything in phuket have to be 10-50% high price. It makes no sense......

The law of supply and demand. Like everywhere else. ????

A troll post from last year by a Pattaya resident. Doesn't need resurrection.

On 12/20/2018 at 9:45 AM, Psimbo said:

Lets try this one more time- Phuket is an ISLAND, Pattaya is a CITY. Apples and oranges (or Durians and Coconuts if you prefer).

Depends on your definition of an island really.

Despite it’s seedy reputation, Pattaya is cheaper and not all farangs are “sex tourists.” I worked 40 kilometers away and rented condos from 45 sq feet to 95 sq feet- all with a sea view from the balcony & a 5 minute walk to the beach. Plenty of 7-Elevens within walking distance. You just ignore the sois with go/go bars and Walking Street.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

11 hours ago, Marco777 said:

Maybe he means that since Phuket is connected to the mainland by two bridges, it's not really an island as isolated as other islands?

So if an island has a bridge it's not an island???

Mainland.jpg

11 hours ago, toenail said:

Despite it’s seedy reputation, Pattaya is cheaper and not all farangs are “sex tourists.” I worked 40 kilometers away and rented condos from 45 sq feet to 95 sq feet- all with a sea view from the balcony & a 5 minute walk to the beach. Plenty of 7-Elevens within walking distance. You just ignore the sois with go/go bars and Walking Street.

I'm guessing the character who started the thread to complain about prices on Phuket (KitKats 5 baht more expensive!) came here because the salary for his new teaching job is higher than, for example, Pattaya. 

There's a reason people flood into Phuket for work, and it's not because the prices are on a par with Nakkon Nowhere in Isaan. 

12 hours ago, toenail said:

Wow! Great! My two bedroom house with garden is 500 meters from the beach. The local fish monger calls me when the boats come in with the fish I like. I can find the rum I like, which I can't find in most of Thailand. Decent wine too. Actually a choice of a few and cheaper than other places if I can even find a shop that has a any of them in most of Thailand. We buy fruit and vegetables at the local outdoor markets or Super Cheap that you don't have. Mackro is about the same price everywhere if we need stuff from there. My rent hasn't changed in 14 years. I'm the white brother in our Thai family it seems. But I'm glad you're happy in you condo with a view of the ocean I would never swim in. Cheers!

5 minutes ago, Jimi007 said:

Wow! Great! My two bedroom house with garden is 500 meters from the beach. The local fish monger calls me when the boats come in with the fish I like. I can find the rum I like, which I can't find in most of Thailand. Decent wine too. Actually a choice of a few and cheaper than other places if I can even find a shop that has a any of them in most of Thailand. We buy fruit and vegetables at the local outdoor markets or Super Cheap that you don't have. Mackro is about the same price everywhere if we need stuff from there. My rent hasn't changed in 14 years. I'm the white brother in our Thai family it seems. But I'm glad you're happy in you condo with a view of the ocean I would never swim in. Cheers!

Where are you?

I find my inexpensive white dry Australian wine at MAKRO. [emoji847] It is so easy to hop on “baht bus” around Pattaya and the few blocks I have to walk from the songtaew routes is good exercise for me. I do not like to drive in Pattaya because of the traffic. If I had to face those South Thailand thug-head tuk-tuk drivers everyday, my blood pressure would go up. Sometimes with Pattaya focusing on the positives is important.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 hours ago, toenail said:

I find my inexpensive white dry Australian wine at MAKRO. emoji847.png It is so easy to hop on “baht bus” around Pattaya and the few blocks I have to walk from the songtaew routes is good exercise for me. I do not like to drive in Pattaya because of the traffic. If I had to face those South Thailand thug-head tuk-tuk drivers everyday, my blood pressure would go up. Sometimes with Pattaya focusing on the positives is important.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Maybe there's scope in the PATTAYA forum for a thread on the subject.

As you may have realized Phuket Town isn't the choice place to live. There are better places on the island, and the prices you are paying are because of where you live. Try Kamala, much better for massages etc. Remember 70 percent of all the tourists that visit this country go to Phuket. As for Koh Samuii......I found the place a ripoff dump......the day I left was my happiest day. You can find cheaper food if you eat at Muslim places. 

On 12/16/2018 at 9:39 PM, cyril sneer said:

the only thing I found too expensive in Phuket since I last visited was the airport to hotel taxi, with no option of a mini bus or normal bus 

lived in rawai for 6000 a month, equivalent to a new hotel room but needed my own bed sheets

motorbike rent 3500

this was 3 years ago though

3 years ago I wasn’t there, but no shortage of minibuses now...

On 4/29/2019 at 7:31 PM, Mansell said:

As you may have realized Phuket Town isn't the choice place to live. There are better places on the island, and the prices you are paying are because of where you live. Try Kamala, much better for massages etc. Remember 70 percent of all the tourists that visit this country go to Phuket. As for Koh Samuii......I found the place a ripoff dump......the day I left was my happiest day. You can find cheaper food if you eat at Muslim places. 

Agreed.

Its easy to find inexpensive thai food In all towns across Phuket, even the super-touristy towns on the west coast offer cheap thai food if you look around a little.

heck, even the 30 baht readymade thai dishes at 711 and familymart are decent quality if you have a thai food craving at 430am.

No point in living in Phuket Town, unless you despise beaches & fresh ocean breezes.

Lived there, went from the airport to town with the bus (100b) rent motorbike per month (3000), room with aircon bed tv and fridge (5500, excluding electric).

Around the corner of my room massage 150 per hour, and had a footlong sub once in Patong.

Laundrys everywhere, mostly in sois and near water venders. Two kinds: do it yourself, see the grey coin operated machines or homes with tiled front and indoor and nothing else but racks. A bag 3 days fabrics (100b) well ironed and fold returned in a transparent bag.

Convenience stores all around, not the same as bangkok but surely within a km, and then on the way to the next 7 eleven you passed familymart and a dozen local shops.

Prices all well comparable with other places, you have to know where to find the right locations and directions.

Food sometimes a little bit more (somtum 60b and the same is 40b in bangkok) but still not bad.

Enough other options, food on the market and sold along the roads are the same. For a easy fast rice meal, 10-15bath sold outside at Supercheap24 (rice and egg sunny side up).

Bought a cooking pan set from a local store, cooked with a 'one pit' induction plate my daily dish on it with groceries from Tesco and gave these away to next door on the day I left Phuket.

Good times.

was in phuket town today getting a new windshield put on, went to a local place for pat thai

same price i pay in Kamala.  Would have thought cheaper but nope....
PS: i only pay 50 baht for Somtum in Kamala

Archived