Stop Using My Phone Credit - For Crying Out Loud!

Stubby

Hi Folks, I wonder if any Android gurus can help.

See, every couple of months I top my smartphone up with a 12GB internet package. It's usually more than enough to see me through to the next top-up. However, sometimes I run out before the end of the month. Then, unbeknown to me, the phone automatically starts to use my phone credit instead. Phone credit doesn't last long at all with the internet, and before I know it I'm fresh out of phone and internet credit.

So, my question is this: is there a setting in Android where I can stop my phone from switching to call credit when my internet runs out? Or, is it a simple case of keeping an eye on the data usage?

I've had a look but can't find anything obvious.

Thanks, in advance,

Stubby

I don't think you can, at least not on your phone ????

You don't say who your mobile provider is, they may have a setting that stops data when the allowance runs out.

Alternatively, just get one of the "unlimited" data packages that reverts to a slow speed when the main data runs out.

You can do something on your phone to make sure some things only happen if you have a WiFi connection, i.e. updates.

About the rest you should talk with your provider like DTAC or AIS. Make sure you have a contract which does not charge extra after x GB.I know in some contracts you can continue to use the internet, just slower. But there are so many options so you better check with your provider.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I thought as much.

It feels like a bit of a scam really, not being able refuse permission. The operator is TRUE-H so perhaps I should ask them direct. I often get bombarded with SPAM email too. I cancel it via the STOP SPAM number and it calms down for a while. They then start up up again some weeks later. TIT, I guess ????

Stubby

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I thought as much.

It feels like a bit of a scam really, not being able refuse permission. The operator is TRUE-H so perhaps I should ask them direct. I often get bombarded with SPAM email too. I cancel it via the STOP SPAM number and it calms down for a while. They then start up up again some weeks later. TIT, I guess ????

Stubby

Get your self the Oppo A3s from 7-11 for 2,700bht, it's a decent 6" notch phone, locked to True. Includes a True sim with unlimited free True phone calls and internet data for 100bht topup/month. 

Or install DataEye app on your phone which blocks all data use, unless you give permission for each request.

Well I've learned a few things tonight, thanks everyone. I thought I had a cracking deal with 12GB for two months a pop. And to be honest, it's usually enough. It's just that I got caught short a couple of times, this month included. TRUE then eats through phone credit like an alky downs a a 12 pack.

I'm going to save this thread and explore my options ????

Stubby

2 hours ago, Stubby said:

So, my question is this: is there a setting in Android where I can stop my phone from switching to call credit when my internet runs out?

Not quite, but if you look in settings: connections: data usage you will find a section that allows you to set a warning for any given amount of data usage and another setting to tell the phone when the usage period should start. Set that and the phone will warn you when you get close to the limit.

Applies to recent Android versions.

Settings> Network> Mobile Data.   There is a toggle switch that you can set off then the phone only uses WiFi when available and your call credit remains intact. I had a problem with True sending me spam messages that ate up my allowance, if you drop by a True sales desk the salesperson should be able to get the spam switched off. True has a lot of Wifi hotpots you can use in shopping malls and supermarkets that you should make the most of to retain your 4G allowance...

Sorry for the delayed response guys, I've been offline for a couple of days.

I think I've found the area you talk about. I have 6GB a month on the current internet package. If I use that before the end of the month, the phone then dips into my call credit to pay for the internet. I've since set the data limit to 6GB (my monthly internet limit). So does that mean once I reach 6GB the phone won't dip into my call credit. I mean, is call credit and data usage two separate things? 

Regarding SPAM, even TRUE refer to their uninvited text messages as SPAM. I know how to stop it, the problem is it starts up again a few weeks or months later. Not sure why.

If anyone's interested, here are the steps for TRUE:

1. Call *137 from the phone receiving SPAM
  2. Press 9 for English as soon as the robot picks up
  3. Simply follow the automated instructions to stop SPAM (it was "Press 1 last time I did it)

Regards,

Stubby

I use AIS for both my phones. On one phone I pay 200 baht a month for Wifi. On the other, nothing. Just a phone. Suddenly I got a ding for 10 baht, increasing to a 49 baht charge for the full day of wifi. But I don't use that phone for Wifi. Both phones connect to my home wifi when I'm there so my usage is very low. I called AIS and asked them why I got a charge for a phone I didn't sign up for. They told me that they'd started making the wifi available on a daily basis on most phones now, whether requested or not. I got the charge reversed and my account credited. BUT BE AWARE that this is their policy now. If you get a charge you don't understand, call them. They were quite nice in explaining it to me and in making it right again for me.

Great response from everybody, simple tips and educational.

I think it's a sneaky business that's made unnecessarily complicated sometimes.

Alan, thanks for the link ;)

Stubby

On 12/16/2018 at 8:40 PM, wgdanson said:

And make sure you never have a lot of creadit on your phone, just top up as and when needed.

There is a setting where you can get a notification when you have only a bit of allowance left.

Turn OFF your Wi-Fi when you are not needing to use it (same with Bluetooth and Location etc). Only keep "Mobile Data" turned on at all times, everything else Off until required. 

Make sure any app updates only happen when using Wi-Fi and also turn off "Automatic" updates (so you can choose the important ones and when - preferably when you have access to FREE Wi-Fi).

Many apps only want to update so they can make more room for advertising!

Use technology don't let technology use you. And YES, I am bloody minded. ????

HTH

6 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Turn OFF your Wi-Fi when you are not needing to use it (same with Bluetooth and Location etc). Only keep "Mobile Data" turned on at all times, everything else Off until required. 

Make sure any app updates only happen when using Wi-Fi and also turn off "Automatic" updates (so you can choose the important ones and when - preferably when you have access to FREE Wi-Fi).

HTH

Good points, thanks for sharing. I just turned off mobile data ????

22 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

HTH

Surely having MOBILE DATA turned ON will use your credit up as yuor phone will connect via your service provider. WI FI turned ON does not use any credit.

Bluetooth and Location will only use your battery.

I'm using AIS and have their app installed on my phone that gives me live data balance, which I can check whenever.. If my data is finished I receive an automated SMS advising that I have been charged 10bt for over usage which will increase to 49bt for unlimited until midnight.. When I receive that first SMS with 10bt charge I TURN OFF the "mobile data" immediately and just use WiFi until I've had a chance to top up my credit and code in my package, ie #xxx#xx*and then turn my mobile data back on.. So my max charge over my data allowance is only 10bt..

I'm sure True would also have an app you can download to monitor your usage and balance live as well..

Just now, owenm said:

I'm using AIS and have their app installed on my phone that gives me live data balance, which I can check whenever.. If my data is finished I receive an automated SMS advising that I have been charged 10bt for over usage which will increase to 49bt for unlimited until midnight.. When I receive that first SMS with 10bt charge I TURN OFF the "mobile data" immediately and just use WiFi until I've had a chance to top up my credit and code in my package, ie #xxx#xx*and then turn my mobile data back on.. So my max charge over my data allowance is only 10bt..

I'm sure True would also have an app you can download to monitor your usage and balance live as well..

I'll check it out owenm ????

On 12/16/2018 at 7:30 PM, BritManToo said:

Get your self the Oppo A3s from 7-11 for 2,700bht, it's a decent 6" notch phone, locked to True. Includes a True sim with unlimited free True phone calls and internet data for 100bht topup/month. 

Surely that data usage must be capped in some way? Either by volume or by bandwidth?

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

It's capped at 1mb d/l speed.

Nearly all the cheaper unlimited packages have that cap.

The cheaper packages certainly do always have some sort of cap, which was why I asked the question.

For me 1Mbs is a bit too small, though the price isnt bad. I prefer to have one of the unlimited 4Mbs SIMs which cost between around 1250-2500B per year, depending on where you buy them. These SIMs can be used in any phone.

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

The cheaper packages certainly do always have some sort of cap, which was why I asked the question.

For me 1Mbs is a bit too small, though the price isnt bad. I prefer to have one of the unlimited 4Mbs SIMs which cost between around 1250-2500B per year, depending on where you buy them. These SIMs can be used in any phone.

Any suggestions please. Does AIS have one?

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I got a Dtac Golden Dog SIM

https://oilinki.com/blog/1-year-unlimited-data-sim-cards-thailand

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/products/golden-dog-sim.html

5ae29734b4723_GoldenDogSIM1_edit.thumb.jpg.4d0176f73acbdd86af51f765fba3dfb5.jpg

To the OP    as suggested elsewhere  turn off auto updates of google apps and phone firmware

set to only update via Wifi

turn off  mobile data  when at home/office or near a usable Wifi spot

also you can goto phone settings data usage and press the  3 dots top right  and select disable background data  though this will break  things like google maps and on my phone stopped openVPN from connecting.

+ never reply to those spam SMS messages for free ringtones etc

Usually when buying a 12gb internet package in Thailand the internet is restricted to only 384kbs untill next payment. I have AIS 799thb per month. After i used my gb then the speed slows down to 384kbs. i know most providers in Thailand have this and i would recommend you to check out other providers. And just for info. Some lower gb packages have lower kbs after you used up your gb. as 128kbs. 

4 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Surely having MOBILE DATA turned ON will use your credit up as yuor phone will connect via your service provider. WI FI turned ON does not use any credit.

Bluetooth and Location will only use your battery.

Data has to flow in order to affect your credit.

Wi-Fi is different from mobile data. You can be paying for either/or, depending on what your normal download usage may be.

Phone and text messages e.g. via your mobile phone will be included in your phone plan at a huge cost to the user. That is why the proliferation of chat apps e.g. Line, WhatsAp Viber etc. that use Wi-Fi (being a cheaper rate, normally) and therefore more cost effective than your mobile plan costs would be.

If Bluetooth and Location (among others) are turned on then they are always seeking out (by using data) connections wherever you go. And, yes they are a heavy drain on your battery.

Archived