Thai govt wants drug addicts rounded up for treatment

webfact

Govt wants drug addicts rounded up for treatment

By The Nation

409eaef8236fc071861142c88c61603c.jpeg

The Public Health Ministry has instructed provincial health offices to screen people caught using illegal drugs for possible addiction and to send the addicts for treatment.

c15947eb2766775709894c0032b760b6.jpeg

The scheme covering 526 tambon in 68 provinces is part of the government’s latest drug-abuse prevention policy.

The Drug Prevention and Suppression Office and other security agencies estimated there could be as many as 14,000 drug addicts in the 526 tambon.

Dr Pisit Sriprasert, deputy permanent secretary at the ministry, said the provincial offices had three months to complete the work.

5c5daf9561c5dc3a0452da1160967867.jpeg

Addicts would be sent to community public health units for treatment under a concept called “Community Based Treatment and Care”, he said. 

“Drug addicts are sick people and need help and medical care,” Pisit said. 

“It’s not just about drug addiction – social conditions and the environment also play roles. They need support, and once treated they can return to society and live normal lives and contribute to society like other people. Society should give them a chance.”

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30360510

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-12-17

I assume this is all about meth / yaba / ice or whatever they call it over here - good luck with that.

Once they're using this kind of thing it's a slippery slope and never ends well.

It ends in crime, fights and murder, seen it with my own eyes. Can't say I really care about them either.

The local view around these parts is that one of them kills another, one goes to the temple for cremation and the other goes to prison - 2 idiots off the street. Job done ---> That comes from a Thai guy I know, zero sympathy for any of them.

It's my understanding that a onetime stay in a treatment facility does not solve the addiction problem. It requires a multiple number of stays and even then, the odds of success seem to be limited.

(Don't asked me for a link. This is only an opinion based on observations in a fully developed country)

32 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Just another junket/photo-op for self-serving, self-important knobs without coming up with any worthwhile policy/plan.

That shows that Thailands government has caught up to the West

Trying to run a little scam here I think at tax payers expense.

“Rounding them up” means what exactly ? GESTAPO or KGB style arrests of who?

They have no idea how many there are and since most drug users will normally hide the fact that they are using because it was illegal to use drugs last time I checked - who are they actually going to “round up”?

How do they round up drug addicts ? Road blocks and raids in every school, company, factory, malls, entertainment place all over the country forcing people to test for drugs?

“There could be as many as 14.000 drug addicts” ??? In all of Thailand ? Is this some kind of a bad joke?

The last estimate for Thailand I saw was 1.3 million and numbers “rehabilitated” yearly run between 250.000 - 350.000 according to government agencies - ridiculous.

So they are going to “treat” 1.3 million people but have no idea who they are - in the communities? Will every province built their own concentration camps and Gulags for the “treatment”?

I wonder what the allocated budget for this scam is and who benefits the most from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, mok199 said:

Start with teen pregnancy , round up all the Douche bag fathers and hold them financially responsible for the children they abandon.

That would deplete girl inventory for old falangs. Nothing makes a fat, old, sweaty, smelly comparatively rich guy more attractive than that extra mouth to feed.

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

They could just take the Thaksin way,and eliminate them all.

regards worgeordie

Are you for real? If you are, they should raid all the bars and shoot the patrons who's drinking beer or other alcoholic drinks.

4 hours ago, worgeordie said:

They could just take the Thaksin way,and eliminate them all.

regards worgeordie

In 2002 on a vets holiday in Saigon, we were warned not to go to a particular park filled with semi comatose persons.

(By the Vietnamese appointed "tour guide")

Next day as we drove past, the park was empty.  I asked what had happened.

By signs and speech (kneeling on the ground and being shot in the back of the neck signs) I got the general idea.

Drug addiction would not be tolerated.

Not sure about the ethics but it cleared that park up.

You can only help those that truly want to get help. The ones who have reached rock bottom and realize that it is a life or death moment and they choose life. Don't waste your time trying to force people to change. It just will not work.

9 minutes ago, Ulic said:

You can only help those that truly want to get help. The ones who have reached rock bottom and realize that it is a life or death moment and they choose life. Don't waste your time trying to force people to change. It just will not work.

The dealers and promoters should be given overdoses of their own medicine.

Give it a 5 year trial.

Medical officials (in educated countries) state irrevocably that addiction is a disease and thus must be treated as such. Thailand 'plan' of forcing people to partake in rehabilitation has been proven ineffective, repeatedly. Some of the  'self righteous'  on this forum advocate killing them, jailing for life etc. To the educated folks that's akin to taking a handicapped or terminally ill person and exterminating them. Some of these posters possibly use and are possibly addicted to alcohol - the drug of their choice - while they're railing about ending the life or freedom of others for their drug use. You think the drug you use is so much better than the drugs others use? Hypocrites, the lot of you.

21 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

Medical officials (in educated countries) state irrevocably that addiction is a disease and thus must be treated as such. Thailand 'plan' of forcing people to partake in rehabilitation has been proven ineffective, repeatedly. Some of the  'self righteous'  on this forum advocate killing them, jailing for life etc. To the educated folks that's akin to taking a handicapped or terminally ill person and exterminating them. Some of these posters possibly use and are possibly addicted to alcohol - the drug of their choice - while they're railing about ending the life or freedom of others for their drug use. You think the drug you use is so much better than the drugs others use? Hypocrites, the lot of you.

Yes we are all hypocrites. Now calm down and take a valium.

On 12/17/2018 at 4:19 AM, ukrules said:

I assume this is all about meth / yaba / ice or whatever they call it over here - good luck with that.

Once they're using this kind of thing it's a slippery slope and never ends well.

It ends in crime, fights and murder, seen it with my own eyes. Can't say I really care about them either.

The local view around these parts is that one of them kills another, one goes to the temple for cremation and the other goes to prison - 2 idiots off the street. Job done ---> That comes from a Thai guy I know, zero sympathy for any of them.

Yep, "Clean em up, send them back out to start all over again"  9 out of 10 will do just that..........maybe lobotomy might work, who knows.

On 12/17/2018 at 2:19 PM, from the home of CC said:

Jeeez Louise  They walk amongst us.???? ???? ????

On 12/17/2018 at 12:40 PM, Prissana Pescud said:

In 2002 on a vets holiday in Saigon, we were warned not to go to a particular park filled with semi comatose persons.

(By the Vietnamese appointed "tour guide")

Next day as we drove past, the park was empty.  I asked what had happened.

By signs and speech (kneeling on the ground and being shot in the back of the neck signs) I got the general idea.

Drug addiction would not be tolerated.

Not sure about the ethics but it cleared that park up.

worked for them, works for me.

On 12/17/2018 at 2:19 PM, from the home of CC said:

Failure once is no impediment to trying again. This is Thailand

Hope springs eternal.

On 12/17/2018 at 12:16 AM, Prissana Pescud said:

The dealers and promoters should be given overdoses of their own medicine.

Give it a 5 year trial.

Does that include bartenders and Budweiser executives?  Because their drugs kill more in a month than Yaba kills in a year.

Archived