Surachete doubles down on expelling illegal foreigners

webfact

Surachete doubles down on expelling illegal foreigners

By The Thaiger

9_180810_0116-1024x682.jpg.c14f07ab6c5c4

“I want to keep the number at zero.”

Immigration Bureau chief Surachate Hakparn is admitting that the frequent and highly public crackdowns on immigration suspects living in Thailand illegally is making other foreigners feel uncomfortable.

But he says the Bureau’s success in the X-Ray Foreigner campaigns outweighs the concerns of expats. 

He has once again claimed that the number of foreigners overstaying their visa is “zero”, in an interview with the Bangkok Post. Despite his claim, 506 more foreigners were rounded up just last week with a report of the latest crackdown made at one of the department’s early morning press conferences at the Grace Hotel, Bangkok.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/surachete-doubles-down-on-expelling-illegal-foreigners

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-12-17

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, webfact said:

He has once again claimed that the number of foreigners overstaying their visa is “zero”, in an interview with the Bangkok Post. Despite his claim, 506 more foreigners were rounded up just last week

he just doesn't count so well

34 minutes ago, webfact said:

Immigration Bureau chief Surachate Hakparn is admitting that the frequent and highly public crackdowns on immigration suspects living in Thailand illegally

good work but there is a much more important task that you are responsible for and overlooking

the many tens of thousands that live here legally, support families and donate millions to the Thai economy, how about treating them with the respect they deserve and not trying to make things as difficult as possible especially when it comes to immigration, the system has worked for decades now you driving people away - you need to lighten up or it will be "goods guys out"

What exactly does rounding up illegals have to do with you and your feelings?  Keep your documents legal, and stop feeling hurt that the people responsible for their country's security are doing their jobs. Did you see where is press conference was?  Nana.  Lots of scumbags walking around there that deserve to have their bonafides checked.  If you are not one of them, then what are you whinging about?

7 minutes ago, Stradavarius37 said:

What exactly does rounding up illegals have to do with you and your feelings?  Keep your documents legal, and stop feeling hurt that the people responsible for their country's security are doing their jobs. Did you see where is press conference was?  Nana.  Lots of scumbags walking around there that deserve to have their bonafides checked.  If you are not one of them, then what are you whinging about?

how does that boot polish taste?

1 hour ago, webfact said:

He has once again claimed that the number of foreigners overstaying their visa is “zero”,

That’s a massive lie. It’s nowhere near zero. If he can lie so obviously about this, what else can he lie about? 

25 minutes ago, smedly said:

good work but there is a much more important task that you are responsible for and overlooking

the many tens of thousands that live here legally, support families and donate millions to the Thai economy, how about treating them with the respect they deserve and not trying to make things as difficult as possible especially when it comes to immigration, the system has worked for decades now you driving people away - you need to lighten up or it will be "goods guys out"

I totally agree. He is once again missing the mark, as he has done his entire career. This guy is as phony and destructive as they come. The current administration is very toxic when it comes to westerners in general, be they tourists or ex-pats. One can only hope they are voted out in an adamant fashion. Prayuth is truly despised by the majority of the Thai nation. They army have abused their power once again and are way past the sell by date. Get out. Get out now! You are not wanted. You are not liked. You do not represent your people and you never have. 

Without sounding catty or pretentious, I think honest ex-pats should be given awards and recognition for all that we bring to the table here. And treated far better than this hapless administration treats us.  We spend more than the average Thai, most of us put a far greater value on honesty than the average Thai, we are far safer drivers, and we behave with dignity and respect towards the local people. 

8 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I totally agree. He is once again missing the mark, as he has done his entire career. This guy is as phony and destructive as they come. The current administration is very toxic when it comes to westerners in general, be they tourists or ex-pats. One can only hope they are voted out in an adamant fashion. Prayuth is truly despised by the majority of the Thai nation. They army have abused their power once again and are way past the sell by date. Get out. Get out now! You are not wanted. You are not liked. You do not represent your people and you never have. 

Without sounding catty or pretentious, I think honest ex-pats should be given awards and recognition for all that we bring to the table here. And treated far better than this hapless administration treats us.  We spend more than the average Thai, most of us put a far greater value on honesty than the average Thai, we are far safer drivers, and we behave with dignity and respect towards the local people. 

I always said they should offer incentives to be good. I do all my paperwork properly and never miss my 90 day report, etc, but every year it’s the same old thing. Zero recognition. They could start by offering two year visas for people who’ve been immaculate in their visa history, etc. Why waste time needlessly scrutinizing people who have a good history? 

But at the end the day, most of us know why they don’t do this. 

He is the head of Immigration. Part of his job is removing people living here illegally. I salute him for taking his job seriously. Does it make me uncomfortable? Not at all. I follow the rules and make sure my paperwork is up to date. My once a year visit to Immigration for my extension of stay is a small inconvenience that allows me to stay in a country that I really love. 

David

I agree with running up and deporting illegals and those working without a permit. If you don't like the law then don't come here. Why should you get any special privileges? 

The folk whining about wanting to be treated with respect should reconsider why you came here....the Thai government didn't ask or coerce you to come and live here, it was your choice. If you don't like it, you know what you can do.

1 hour ago, smedly said:

How is he driving people away, he didn't change the rules that worked for decades, but I see frequently posts on here from foreigners that can not afford the 400 or 800K in the bank. I wonder how they donate millions to the Thai economy.

12 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

How is he driving people away, he didn't change the rules that worked for decades, but I see frequently posts on here from foreigners that can not afford the 400 or 800K in the bank. I wonder how they donate millions to the Thai economy.

you must have been one busy "chap" these last few months interviewing all the expats and others that live here - and yes the rules have changed (not for me personally) for quite a number who may now be forced to take an under the counter backhander approach to get their 12 month extensions renewed were they didn't have to before

If you want more info on the subject go read some of the recent very lengthy threads on the topic 

6 minutes ago, smedly said:

you must have been one busy "chap" these last few months interviewing all the expats and others that live here - and yes the rules have changed (not for me personally) for quite a number who may now be forced to take an under the counter backhander approach to get their 12 month extensions renewed were they didn't have to before

If you want more info on the subject go read some of the recent very lengthy threads on the topic 

Where did i say I interviewed any expat?

Too eager for an argument?

I said read frequently posts on here.

Why are some forced to take a backhander now? Is it because the immigration doesn't accept any more, and the embassies don't issue anymore, statements that can not be verified?

Go and read the many poists on here about people who used a statement, issued and signed by their embassy, but admitted that in reality they had not near the amount of income stated on that document.

Maybe you are one of them?

1 hour ago, Genericnic said:

He is the head of Immigration. Part of his job is removing people living here illegally. I salute him for taking his job seriously. Does it make me uncomfortable? Not at all. I follow the rules and make sure my paperwork is up to date. My once a year visit to Immigration for my extension of stay is a small inconvenience that allows me to stay in a country that I really love. 

David

Wouldn't it be lovely------Ex pats retirement visa, pay 50,000 baht annually reporting, showing paper of residence, and insurance health cover, finally a bond of 200,000 baht deposit to sit in a bank no withdrawals until the time comes to leave Thailand.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

we behave with dignity and respect towards the local people.

Based on the physical appearance of the farangs I see at Immigration these days I would disagree with your behaving with respect remark. At least half can't be bothered to dress politely and many are outright sketchy looking, dressed grubby and too many tattoos. Saw one farang walk in with an open beer in hand and shirt unbuttoned down the front. Not showing much respect there.

A huge difference from my visits to Immigration 30 years ago when farangs, for the most part, made an effort to dress politely when interacting with officials.

Can't blame immigration for wanting to crack down some.

Bunch of whinghers here , I see. Guys, if you don’t like what they want and do, why are you here? It’s their frigging country. Period. We are their guests. 

And no...it’s not licking boot polish, as one bloke suggested about a comment made by Stradivarius . It’s Put up, or Shut up and find another country to bludge in and blow your Trump-ets.....

1 hour ago, Pedrogaz said:

I agree with running up and deporting illegals and those working without a permit. If you don't like the law then don't come here. Why should you get any special privileges? 

The folk whining about wanting to be treated with respect should reconsider why you came here....the Thai government didn't ask or coerce you to come and live here, it was your choice. If you don't like it, you know what you can do.

exactly!

He’s doing his job, top immigration officer. People not here legally should be rounded up and shipped out. 

Those talking about Trump, he is doing his job as well. Keep the riff raff out that won’t come legally. Nations have LAWS, follow them or stay in your country, period. 

Dont like it, u know where the border is!!

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Without sounding catty or pretentious, I think honest ex-pats should be given awards and recognition for all that we bring to the table here.

I don't want to be honoured or rewarded, I just want to be left alone to get on with my perfectly legal and harmless life, without the hassles inherent with any dealings with his gang.

The other week I was arbitrarily "fined" B1200 for failing to report my address after I had popped across the border at Mai Sai for a couple of hours to renew my entry permit. This despite the fact that I had declared my address on the "TM whatever" when I re-entered the country, and they had my address on their computer (I had gone to ask for a residency letter for renewing my driving licence). I have previously been told, by immigration, every year for the past five, that I only needed to report when I renewed my visa!

When I got home and checked my paperwork - no receipt of course!

I'm glad I didn't have to give them a tip!

Winge over!

Archived