Surachete doubles down on expelling illegal foreigners

webfact

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Nyezhov said:

Thats OK. In other words, everything I said was true, you just feel that Im a righteous hypocrite for pointing out the truth. Got it. Thanks for playing ????

Yes, you got me.

Now please stop saying words I don't like or agree with. It isn't fair (for me). 

29 minutes ago, theonetrueaussie said:

The problem is many people that used to come here a lot are no longer coming even though they have never been denied or had trouble from immigration the constant crackdowns and hearing of other foreigners being denied entry has made many western frequent tourists choose better countries to spend their time and money in with no fear of being denied entry.

This is absolutely correct.  I just read an article in an English language Thai newspaper that states hundred of hotels are for sale in Thailand. The reason for this is that there is a downturn in people coming to Thailand.

In a list of the top 10 inbound tourists to Thailand- the only Westerners were from the US. No Europeans.  the rest were Asians headed by the Chinese. In the past- mostly Westerners headed by the British and Scandinavians visited in huge numbers.

The reasons for the above have been discussed over and over again but part of this is the fact that Thai Immigration has publicly  not provided a friendly face toward foreigners.  There is nothing wrong with  them doing their job but there is no need to breast beat about it.  This .coupled with the surly treatment many foreigners receive from  Immigration Io's as well as the local police leave a bad taste in one's mouth.  This is publicized worldwide through various incidents and has undoubtedly affected arrivals to Thailand.

I, and others have been here decades- never overstayed a day; obeyed the rules and live a quiet respectful life. The average Thai in the street still likes foreigners and in all the years here have never had an issue with the average Thai.  However, there is no need for the current Thai Government to assume all of us are overstays; criminals or bogans.  Many of us just don't feel as comfortable as we used to because of this attitude.

I am not whinging; nor am I anti Thai but simply telling the truth- the best I hope for is simply to be left alone to enjoy my life and family. Immigration has a 40 + year history on me and others.  How about an Immigration change for once that favors the  'good guys.'

2 hours ago, Didierhardy said:

And the combination visa agent/Immigration is working just fine and never will be touched. (For retirees who don't have the needed funds). For their visa approval the Immigration get their share and everybody is happy, including big Jo. 

2 wrongs do not make a right and neither does condoning the system . Prayut Chanocha has stated that he will stop corruption at all levels but I think almost impossible . Now if the " Agent Visa " is in the open and an accepted way then why not make it legal ?   Suppose there is no option and just got to go with the flow .

2 hours ago, randy723 said:

I want to know when the super cop big joke is going to arrest Boss the grandson of red bull for killing one of his brother officers and getting away with it.

I was a policeman for 28 years and if someone killed one of our brothers or sisters we did not sleep until they were in jail or better yet killed.

I also want to know how much the grandfather has paid to the corrupt cop NOT to arrest him?????

I agree, was in law enforcement for over 30 years. deputy Sherriff and Federal. You kill a police officer, we do not forget. Called the Blue Line!

Yeah, The guys that came to Thailand quite a few years ago, married a Thai woman, had kids, bought a house or land, have invested heavily. Now they feel that things are going south. I know people that feel the same way. Surely you must have known that investing money and yourself in a third world country is like rolling the dice. When it's just you that's one thing, but when it involves other people that's quite another. I'll never buy dirt again, anywhere. There are places in SEA that are more foreigner friendly. I've only been to Cambodia once but I liked it. I think I'll visit again and see if I like it a second time.

44 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

// However, there is no need for the current Thai Government to assume all of us are overstays; criminals or bogans.  Many of us just don't feel as comfortable as we used to because of this attitude.

7 minutes ago, vinegarbase said:

// Every time there is a crackdown on illegal immigrants the good honest people following the law get treated like garbage as a result. I have seen it time and time again.

I don't really understand this kind of critics. If your are here on Retirement Extension as I am, requirements and process for renewal are very easy. I didn't see any major change that I remember in last 10 years. I have to go to the Immigration Office only once a year and do not get any hassle. In fact I don't even have to say one word (just giving asked document) and don't even have to meet an Immigration Officer (but just one of "helpers" who check files). In no way if feel uncomfortable, aggressed or treated like garbage. I really wonder where you are, or in which case you are, to have such a bad feeling about TI... :unsure:

25 minutes ago, vinegarbase said:

I am all for taking care of illegal immigrants and criminals but that is never the end of the story. Every time there is a crackdown on illegal immigrants the good honest people following the law get treated like garbage as a result. I have seen it time and time again. The fact that he says that he doesn't care about what the normal expat thinks says it all. He doesn't care about any foreigners and would kick them all out if he could. How many people just try their best only to get purposely screwed over by Thai immigration just because they can? More than people realize.

People need to start looking into Panama where at least you can own land and get permanent residency within just a couple months for a very reasonable price. https://www.joyful-feet.com Go where you have freedom and are treated best, forget all this 24hr address registration and 90 day check in nonsense for the rest of your life. 

Absolutely agree, Just got back visiting a few retired military friends in panama. The best place to retire. Great fishing, great climate, great people. But, I have property here and Thai family, so I am here. I spend 8 months here and 4 in Florida or Panama with Thai wife. Nonthaburi IO are a pain in the ass. So it is what it is. But still happy in Thailand. just got my OA from DC!

There are probably thousands of what I would call "good guys" to use the Immigration phraseology, that are borderline illegal. How many would fall into the following categories?

1. Those not reporting addresses after a trip out of the country or even out of province;

2. Those doing jobs that are not clearly indicated on their work permits.

3. Long-stayers with businesses and no work permits, whether in a company name or in the name of a wife or girlfriend and whether a salary is taken or not. I don't believe all such business owners literally do nothing. Shopping, checking the accounts, preparing and signing company documentation. None of this is supposed to be done without a WP.

4. Digital nomads, whether you're writing a blog once a month with an affiliate link or working full-time for a company in Thailand or overseas. You're supposed to have a WP.

5. Retirees without the appropriate funds. Discussed ad infinitum and if your extension of stay has been agreed with the help of an agent then have you acted illegally? I'd say that it isn't acting strictly within the correct procedures.

6. Those with a company set up to buy land or a house. Again signing and collating documentation without a WP could be deemed illegal

7. Those using Thais as nominees fo land and/or business ownership.

I'm sure there are more.

This isn't a post to get a reaction stating such and such is legal or not so please don't reply saying that something is legal or otherwise. Some of my examples are contentious, and deliberately so, as here in Thailand the law is often applied to suit whatever interpretaion the police or Immigration deem to be correct at the time. It's more of a statement to show how many of us "good guys" could quite easily end up on the "bad guys" list.

2 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

I am doing laundry and therefore hating my life.

I used to read this Board ages ago for information, and fun, but the same old same old same old whinging is just so silly.

OH my Lord ,i can scarce believe my eyes,doing your own laundry ? .i mean don't you have a maid or a wife/gf thingy to do that sounds hellish,my thought's go out to you.

5 hours ago, Genericnic said:

He is the head of Immigration. Part of his job is removing people living here illegally. I salute him for taking his job seriously. Does it make me uncomfortable? Not at all. I follow the rules and make sure my paperwork is up to date. My once a year visit to Immigration for my extension of stay is a small inconvenience that allows me to stay in a country that I really love. 

David

I go along with that, I might have a bit of a bitch and complain about the yearly paperwork - but at the end of the day it is no real hassle. 

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Immigration Bureau chief Surachate Hakparn is admitting that the frequent and highly public crackdowns on immigration suspects living in Thailand illegally is making other foreigners feel uncomfortable.

But he says the Bureau’s success in the X-Ray Foreigner campaigns outweighs the concerns of expats. 

Translated: Every last expat is a 'potential overstay' and a 'potential criminal' and frankly - Thailand doesn't give a rip about them regardless of how much money they dump into the Thai economy.  All Thailand really cares about are Chinese tourists.  If you're not Chinese - you're persona non grata.  Feel free to leave farang!"

56 minutes ago, marko kok prong said:

OH my Lord ,i can scarce believe my eyes,doing your own laundry ? .i mean don't you have a maid or a wife/gf thingy to do that sounds hellish,my thought's go out to you.

No sense falling in love, I may get thrown out at any time. Best to rent such things

I spent 30+ years in Thailand and followed Immigration Laws and had no problem. Two years ago I moved to the Philippines and after a ton of paperwork and finger printing and "clearance" by the NBI, National Bureau of Investigation, their FBI, I finally received my TEMPORARY RESIDENT CARD. After a year with this card and redoing my NBI Clearance I can apply for my PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD. I already have access to PhilHealth Coverage which gets me good medical care for very small monthly coverage. I don't see anything wrong with Thailand's Visa System and if not for the medical coverage I might have stayed.

7 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

I agree with running up and deporting illegals and those working without a permit. If you don't like the law then don't come here. Why should you get any special privileges? 

The folk whining about wanting to be treated with respect should reconsider why you came here....the Thai government didn't ask or coerce you to come and live here, it was your choice. If you don't like it, you know what you can do.

Quite lame. Nearly every time I see someone complaining, or observing a shortfall about the policies here, or the culture, some guy who has not taken the time to think things through, nor to devote any time, study, or focus on the issue at hand, says something like "Perhaps Thailand is not for you", or "maybe you should leave", or "it's not fair", or the top prize, "if you do not like it here, go back to your own country". 

Why? Because I have some issues with the place, I am not entitled to complain, or voice my opinions? Half of the posts on this forum are complaints. What is wrong with that? Don't we need someplace to vent? Why the sensitivity? Why such thin skin? Though absolute contentment must be a beautiful thing to be blessed with, it is not something most of us enjoy. The fact that I complain does not mean I do not love Thailand, my lifestyle, and most of the Thai people. I have a good life here. But, I do have some issues with the place, as most do, and I do not like the government, and there are some things I would like to see improved. Do you not see any room for improvement? I should leave because I complain? 

22 minutes ago, Jimdandy said:

Where have I heard something like this before? How does Trump explain away anything and everything?

Anyone who understands ethics and simply the Golden Rule knows the end cannot justify the means.

While  Mr. Jok may have the law on his side as his minions raid schools; apartments and other and he finds those who bend the law- his tactics and the way they are carried out  is somewhat suspect.  I, and many others, dislike the media show; the parading of the 'culprits' before the public and the media with the leaders standing in their uniforms looking approvingly at their captives.  

This sends a bad taste throughout many of the expat community when we see so many other issues that need attention; so much corruption that goes unpunished or even exposed; scams that go on for decades; local officials watching for an errant cigarette butt or a piece of paper hitting the ground.

While I have personally had good experiences with Immigration over the almost 50 years I have been visiting them- except for a few instances of them trying not to follow the actual law- it is a place that I feel very uncomfortable  as one never knows when I will become the one who is asked for that extra piece of paper that is hard to get or impossible or the particular office used is the one that has all the extra requirements beyond the actual law.

In essence, all of this regimen; this parading before the media will have a negative impact on the country.  Westerners have abandoned Thailand; investors think twice  before committing any funds to the country. I have spent a good amount of money over the decades purchasing houses, cars and taking care of step children (abandoned by their Thai fathers)  Unless things change for the better after the February election- I will not be spending money on any hard purchases again.

At present; I just don't like the feel of the direction of the country and I am not alone as  there are many locals that feel the same.

7 hours ago, helloagain said:

For me i hope they catch everyone. I do what they ask and orove this and that. Jail them, give them crampt conditions then ban for life. 

You’re always one Somchai and a pen stroke away from getting the boot regardless of how well you walk the line. It might be tomorrow or maybe when you’re 85, but they will pull the rug out from under you eventually. Count on it.

2 hours ago, Artisi said:

I go along with that, I might have a bit of a bitch and complain about the yearly paperwork - but at the end of the day it is no real hassle. 

That’s the thing about living here, it’s not a hassle until it is. When they change the rules for whatever visa you’re on, I hope it’s still not a hassle.

Xenophobia rules the land and foreigners are never truly safe at the end of the day. 

How many would be screwed in an instant if they raised the retirement age to 65 or doubled the financial requirements?

Archived