BANGKOK 23 January 2019 23:16
webfact

"Expensive" Phuket dead as a dodo this high season

8 hours ago, Olmate said:

What was it like after you went home? Let’s know on your next visit !

He is just a frustrated former resident. Couldn't make it here, so now everything is bad here.

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, hydraides said:

LOL Dead, no not dead, Phuket is extremely busy

I've been here for the last month, I went to Karon Beach and Kata a few weeks ago, They were JAMMED packed and its hard to find a space to sit down on the sand. 

When you Look down the beach, You're just thinking to yourself "Thats alot of tourists"

It was dead when this thread started. There were no people and had not been any other than chinese before christmas. Then one day it was like the whole place was packed out.

Used to be packed in late october.

So many places have gone belly up that were western tourist orinated.

Phuket is not a nice place to visit and who would want to live here. Not me ,but i unfortunately still do part of the year. My bad.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2018 at 9:46 AM, ezzra said:

The folklore story of the goose who laid golden eggs comes to minds right now...

I'm giving my son English reading lessons, this morning the choice was a Burmese folklore story, "how to turn dirt into gold", I thought how appropriate after reading this article because in the the story it said, "it can't be done".

Yes true but you can find it under the dirt, tho it,s usually found a bit deeper than some here choose to dig, or aren,t around long  enough to even start looking!

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

I'm giving my son English reading lessons, this morning the choice was a Burmese folklore story, "how to turn dirt into gold", I thought how appropriate after reading this article because in the the story it said, "it can't be done".

• Like 1

On 1/6/2019 at 3:48 PM, soalbundy said:

What they are doing here is "turning gold into dirt" and yes, it can be done, and they are doing a good job of it here. 

• Haha 1

LOL Dead, no not dead, Phuket is extremely busy

I've been here for the last month, I went to Karon Beach and Kata a few weeks ago, They were JAMMED packed and its hard to find a space to sit down on the sand. 

When you Look down the beach, You're just thinking to yourself "Thats alot of tourists"

Yes. Karon and Kamala are packed.
We see a lot of new hiso thai families as a new tenants in Laguna and they eat out, and ladies lunch. Met a family of 11 from the South of China in Laguna who took the villa usually occupied by my French friends for two months and they are looking for a bigger villa in the area to bye. Even Boat Lagoon resort is full with the Chinese after a longtime. Don’t know what’s going on in Patong.

Nothing to do with this article... but why is it so hard to get the article in chronological order. At least one goes back to April 2018, surely it can't be that hard.... get a better programmer. 

3 days I stayed in Phuket last year. Booked 7 days. Was so pissed because of the prices and mentality of Phuket that it was a blast returning to Pattaya. I'm talking about everything from pool table, food, tuktuk, drinks,  bar fines  the mentality of waitresses in disco pushing you to drink. 

Naah. Going again next week to see a friend and let's see if some happened but doubt it.

On 1/5/2019 at 10:39 PM, stevenl said:

He is just a frustrated former resident. Couldn't make it here, so now everything is bad here.

Hilarious, Dutch, I’ve never lived there! :whistling:

• Like 1

Ah well , the blue blood yellow shirted protesters that wanted a military government got what they wanted. 

So ...suck it up and be happy. Money isn't everything.

The crowds seem to be only on the beach, 7 11, and on the roads. Most businesses are not fairing so well for high season. 

1 hour ago, inThailand said:

The crowds seem to be only on the beach, 7 11, and on the roads. Most businesses are not fairing so well for high season. 

Are you capable of understanding that those people don't live on the beach eating sand?

This is Karon Beach a few minutes ago. You can see their tents at the back of the beach. The hotels in the area are empty (sarcasm).

kb.JPG

Edited by Old Croc

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 9:21 AM, sead said:

3 days I stayed in Phuket last year. Booked 7 days. Was so pissed because of the prices and mentality of Phuket that it was a blast returning to Pattaya. I'm talking about everything from pool table, food, tuktuk, drinks,  bar fines  the mentality of waitresses in disco pushing you to drink. 

Naah. Going again next week to see a friend and let's see if some happened but doubt it.

I hope you bring enough money for your full stay next time. For people a little short of cash, Pattaya is really the much better option for playing pool and bar fining prostitutes.

I believe Phuket is slowly, but inextricably heading towards high end tourism. There are no more cheap hotels on the beach front, all have been replaced by 5 star resorts. The Patong Bay Garden, where I stayed several times, has morphed into "The Bay and Beach Club".

Even the iconic Bangla may end up as little more than a shopping precinct with just a sterilized version of the old wicked party scene. (Anybody remember Bugis Street before Singapore cleaned it up?) 

• Like 1