BANGKOK 24 January 2019 02:38
webfact

"Expensive" Phuket dead as a dodo this high season

6 hours ago, madmen said:

Both Samui and phuket are waaay past their prime and travelers I know that have been going to both for many years will never go back.
Silly thais will continue to ramp up prices to make up for the tourist short fall TIT

Well “travellers you know”. That’s real confirmation then! 🤮

• Thanks 1

Well “travellers you know”. That’s real confirmation then!
You want names, addresses, blood type.? Or you just can't pathom I have non expat friends that used to spend annual vacations in phuket.

7 hours ago, madmen said:

Both Samui and phuket are waaay past their prime and travelers I know that have been going to both for many years will never go back.
Silly thais will continue to ramp up prices to make up for the tourist short fall TIT

Silly posters still feel the need to state the obvious.

There are many places I've loved and visited frequently in the past, but won't go back to.  Popular places evolve with increased custom and never regress to what they were in the past. It's a fact of life.

Some characters on these threads like to reminisce about how pristine places like Patong were decades ago, which can be interesting, but has little relevance now. (I have some great memories of Bali from my first visit in the 70's and dislike what it has become, but understand why). 

If you, or your known travelers, like to visit new, unspoiled paradises instead of just criticizing or lamenting those that are lost, might I suggest the Kai Islands?

• Like 1

Several off topic posts and bickering posts have been removed.

Please keep your comments confined to the topic.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, madmen said:
On 1/21/2019 at 8:49 AM, Olmate said:
Well “travellers you know”. That’s real confirmation then! emoji2961.png

You want names, addresses, blood type.? Or you just can't pathom I have non expat friends that used to spend annual vacations in phuket.

'Whereof one cannot speak thereof one must be silent'- Ludwig Wittgenstein     :thumbsup:

On 1/21/2019 at 8:56 AM, madmen said:
On 1/21/2019 at 8:49 AM, Olmate said:
Well “travellers you know”. That’s real confirmation then! emoji2961.png

Me too. Some would spend $75,000 on a ten day vacation. I have some super wealthy friends and they took two vacations a year at $50-80k per trip for two weeks with the family. They don't come anymore. 

Just ignore the trolls. 

On 1/17/2019 at 3:15 PM, NamKangMan said:

Ahhh, the old comparing prices on Phuket to the west argument again.  You do know the the minimum wage here is 300 baht.  Right?

I think you have answered your own question.

"Do you consider an hour plus journey in a cab to or from the airport not worth 700 baht?" - I think the journey from the airport is reasonable. 

So, accepting the "reasonable" cost of 700 baht for "an hour plus journey in a cab" as a bench mark, do you then think just to get in the back of a tuk-tuk being minimum 200 baht to be "reasonable?"  

Using your 700 baht bench mark, do you think 400 baht from Kata to Patong in a tuk-tuk to be "reasonable?" 

What about after midnight when the same journey back to Kata doubles to 800 baht?  Do you think that is a "reasonable" price, when compared to your "hour plus journey in a cab?"

It must be noted, tuk-tuks do not have air conditioning and seat belts, "cabs" do.

Most tourists have no problem with the airport journey cost, because they only use this transport twice on their holiday. 

Many tourists will require more frequent, but shorter distance land transport. on their holiday.  Many regularly go from their hotel to the beach, also to the market, also to shopping, also to activities, also to shows, also to tourists attractions, also to the nightlife etc.  Their tuk-tuk travel can run into thousands of baht a day, given you pay, or you walk, or you hire a vehicle. 

I remember a thread a long time ago where a member posted a photo of his air ticket from Phuket to Bangkok, and it was cheaper than land transport to the airport.  Just saying.  This has been common knowledge for some time.

Yes, it is fair to say I have "extreme bias against the sector."  I freely admit I am the most vocal on this forum about land transport on the island, but particularly the tuk-tuk mafia. 

See all those coach buses, with the majority of tourists to Phuket inside them, on the roads here now?  Why do you think that is?

See the terrible traffic here now? 

Have you read the headlines that Phuket is the worst Province in Thailand for road death, thus making Phuket one of the most dangerous places in the world to be on the road? 

Have you seen the parking issues here now?

Remember the regular headlines of tuk-tuk drivers assaulting passengers? 

Have you been to Bangkok?  Why do you think Phuket doesn't have proper metered taxis like Bangkok?

Have you been to Pattaya?  Why do you think Phuket doesn't have baht buses? 

Land transport, an essential service, is controlled by criminals on Phuket, and I do not apologize for having "extreme bias" against criminals, who, in my opinion, are indirectly responsible for many deaths and serious injuries here, and who have forced the change of tourist demographic on Phuket.

Agreed. No justification whatsoever for Phuket or Samui taxi prices. None. Apologists will disagree. So will the taxi mafia. It comes down to sloth. More and more sloth on the part of Prayuth and the incompetent army. Also massive corruption. 

Bottom line is the Samui and Phuket taxi mafia is far more powerful than the army. Seems to be a fact. Funny, but true. And very sad. The elections could not come soon enough!

On 1/22/2019 at 1:46 PM, spidermike007 said:

<snip>

Bottom line is the Samui and Phuket taxi mafia is far more powerful than the army. Seems to be a fact. Funny, but true. And very sad. The elections could not come soon enough!

If the army, with all of their might, couldn't (or wouldn't) tackle the corruption problem while in power, then I hold very little hope that any elected government will solve this problem.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DrDave said:

If the army, with all of their might, couldn't (or wouldn't) tackle the corruption problem while in power, then I hold very little hope that any elected government will solve this problem.

Let's just say that they "wouldn't"....... in fact when they found out how much the BIB were being paid in terms of brown envelopes etc, they wanted a piece of the action and there was a fair amount of bad feeling between the two for some time, before it was resolved.

And just to show you how it was resolved...........a friend who with others owns a very high profile disco/nightclub here, which often stays open till 5 AM or 6 AM, and pays a large sum every month to the BIB in order to do so, was fearing that when the army took control, he would lose the ability to stay open that late and they would close him down, to all intents and purposes.

Imagine his surprise and delight when the army "came knocking" and just wanted a share of the action, so he ended up putting them on the payroll, so to speak.

Quite obvious that the army is just as corrupt as other institutions here, after all it is just about genetic in this country.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1