"Expensive" Phuket dead as a dodo this high season

webfact

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was in Phuket in 2006 and thought it was overpriced then and never went back.

The prices then reminded me of being in Europe compared to the rest of LoS.

It has been said on this thread and many times before over the years that this was coming down the pipe for Thailand and they are reaping what they sowed painfully in their pockets.

No mercy for an area that was thinking no end of themselves, cheating foreigners, offering low service, unrealistic prices, corrupt cops waiting at every corner to racket a tourist on his hired bike, hookers charging same if not more then many cities in Europe and a over inflated THB....the quaity tourists would rather spend elsewhere....but it would need to get worse with the tourist drop for them to understand and get back to earth......today it's the tourists fleeing...tomorrow it will be the retirees who will chose a more hospitable country for visa procedures and cost of living.

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Phuket is not alone in having very few tourists. Pattaya looks like the depths of low season compared with a few years back. It will be tough for TAT to spin some lies to pretend this is not the case, when the evidence, or lack of it, is clearly visible to all. Thailand has problems with its tourist industry, and it is time for the denial to stop.

No it wont.....they're very good at creative tourist numbering.....

6 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

I live in Hua Hin which is about 10-30% more expensive than say near by Pranburi or Phetchaburi and when I went to Phuket it was so expensive for everything I was like let me out of here.  

Same experience for me when I visited Pattaya - very glad to return to Isaan after just 3 days.

The landlords are one of the major problems here. They want their money and are generally unwilling to do deals.

Three long-established businesses have closed near me as the landlord has evicted the tenants who have been unable to pay the rents. The stupid thing is he did it at the very start of high season, at a time when the tenants would normally be able to pay the rent in arrears at least (things aren't that bad!) but no. He wants his money now. We now have a number of empty buildings in the area and I am pretty sure that those who do pay their rents will be seeing an increase to fill the monetary gap caused by the empty buildings (which no one wants at the amounts charged). And increased rents means an increase in price to the consumer to help pay for it.

The whole price differential in different areas come down to the price of land, and that's a fact all over the world and that's why comparing prices between Phuket and Nakhon Nowhere is like comparing New York with Boone, North Carolina.

1 minute ago, DrPhibes said:

There now for the annual dive trip with the teens.  Stupid expensive.  You can see the worry in everyone's faces which does not help.

So went to an IndIan restaurant that opened at 11am for a noon lunch.  When the waitress came back for the 4th time to tell us of the next thing they did not have (rice!) We just got up and left.   There is just no one here.

6 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

Yea,go out at 9 am on beach road in Patong it will be empty!!

Yes, my first thought was what time were the photos taken? Go around my native London early on a Sunday morning and it will look the same. Having said that, the place has been a rip-off for a long, long time and I always warn any friends that plan a trip to Thailand not to go there.

Phuket was the best of Thailand, 20 years ago! You could flip a condo for a profit 10 years ago. If you are still in that market today - good luck. 

Immigration has pushed out a lot of the Russian businesses there; a great improvement IMHO, but the Thais, many with Chinese backers, have stepped in to those businesses. May be even harder for small farang businesses to compete in the future. 

7 hours ago, mok199 said:

Im sure they are scatching their heads thinking ''we tried everything ,even the honest taxi tall tales aren't working'' ...''Mabey its time for another new shopping mall''.....

Thailand should recognise the fact that tourist numbers go up slowly and then all of a sudden fall down.

Happened in Spain also.

Time for TAT to concentrate on western expats who bring in a steady amount of money and on western tourists who stay longer and actually spend more IN Thailand.

Make it attractive for pensionado's to come to Thailand by simplifying the extension of stay procedure, by offering good housing suitable for older people, an affordable health insurance, and translators well-versed in Thai and other languages.

The fickle Chinese tourist industry where nearly all money disappears to or stay in China is not the way to go, and I am afraid Thailand is not a preferred destination any more for the Chinese.

1 hour ago, observer90210 said:

No mercy for an area that was thinking no end of themselves, cheating foreigners, offering low service, unrealistic prices, corrupt cops waiting at every corner to racket a tourist on his hired bike, hookers charging same if not more then many cities in Europe and a over inflated THB....the quaity tourists would rather spend elsewhere....but it would need to get worse with the tourist drop for them to understand and get back to earth......today it's the tourists fleeing...tomorrow it will be the retirees who will chose a more hospitable country for visa procedures and cost of living.

Totally agree ... when I first permanently moved to Thailand I landed in Phuket ... got married to Thai lady and in 2008 we decided Phuket was too expensive for us ... moved up north of Hua Hin/ChaAm ... now with the Income affidavit fiasco between Thai Immigration/US Embassy looks like Thai Imm working to push out expats also ... I'm still good(maybe?) with my OA visa/last Income affidavit for 15 months but after that only have bank book showing 41K Baht monthly coming in ... If I can't switch "OA Non_imm" visa to "Marriage O" visa and use my monthly 41K Baht bank deposits then I may have to go rogue since we spent our last 1,000,000 Baht on our own home 8 yers ago ... gee what great fun spending the next 15 months worrying about whether or not I'll be kicked out of Thailand and Thai wife and our 2 sons have no money to live on ... Thai Imm doesn't seem to give a sh*t one way or the other ... seems Thai govt/authorities cutting off nose to spite face ... as Forrest Gump said stupid is as stupid does ... As Confucius said “Real knowledge is to know the extent of one’s ignorance.” or how about  “Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.” or “The strength of a nation derives from the integrity of the home.”  .... Nothing is worse than active ignorance .... say nothing about someone if you cannot say something good .... so I'd better stop now ........... AARRRGGGHH

Nothing like such a thread to send the Paddy Field Pensioners into palpitations as they search their memories for the excessive price they once paid for a Singha in a club in Phuket,  so they can compare with what they pay for a Leo in their local 7/11.  It even drew out one character who visited nearly 30 years ago, had a run in with a ladyboy, and is still terrified to this day! 

Phuket, not just Patong for those who can't tell the difference, can be expensive for the tourist. Last year it was the 10th most visited destination on the planet. In such circumstances greedy operators will always try to fleece the gilded cow and downturns are inevitable. 

Jimmy, the tourist company operator, who's Facebook post with pictures of strangely empty streets, was picked up by media and created hysteria among those looking for a chance to get even with the Province where they once had to pay above the average for a taxi ride, has posted again a little apologetically for the clamor his comments created. 

"Good evening, everyone.
I'm Jimmy, the owner of the tour company Elizabeth Amdaman tour.
Investigate because of this post.
I'd like to clarify the purpose of my post.
1. I do not want to destroy Phuket's tourism image or make damage to a person or businessman or any organization.
2. Posting is just a personal comment that would like to share to friends and close friends to see the condition where I am in the day, and that time is not intended to distort reality or create a trend to be misleading in society.
3. My post is only a personal comment and a cut in the economic condition of the current hair company compared to many years ago, including getting to talk inquiries.
With friends who are in the same business
4. Private. I am doing travel business in Phuket, which phuket is like my garage rice, and I have love and cherish the natural resources of Phuket and Andaman. There is no reason for me to hurt Phuket and Thailand's tourism.
5. of my posts have spread widespread because there are people who comment both in a way that agree and disagree, which I respect every comment.
Then, there was an online news agency leading my post to society until it could cause a misunderstanding. 6. If my post has incorrect information or damage to any person or to make you feel uncomfortable, I'm sorry, everyone. Come here.
Jimmy Elizabeth Amdaman tour"

I have been in Thailand for about 10 years. I have only been to Phuket once, about 5 or 6 years ago. I didn't find it very nice. It was jam-packed with tourists.

I didn't like the rip-off....baht buses charging 200 baht to go half a kilometre and the like. 

I never went back. I prefer Krabi where the atmosphere is better and the rip-offs are, if not absent, certainly reduced vs Phuket.

I also avoid resorts where there are too many tourists from any one country.....I remember Jomtien with all the rude pushy, Russians back in the day....and Chiang Mai and Pattaya with all the rude, pushy, noisy Chinese blocking the sidewalks following the one with the flag. No thanks, I'll steer clear of these places until the bargains come back and the rude people stop coming.

Was overpriced and just plain over IMO years ago. Went 3 years ago and will never return. Whenever someone asks about going to Phuket, I always recommend going any place other. 

It would, however, be better if less tourists...but the prices were out of sight. 

14 minutes ago, carken said:

Totally agree ... when I first permanently moved to Thailand I landed in Phuket ... got married to Thai lady and in 2008 we decided Phuket was too expensive for us ... moved up north of Hua Hin/ChaAm ... now with the Income affidavit fiasco between Thai Immigration/US Embassy looks like Thai Imm working to push out expats also ... I'm still good(maybe?) with my OA visa/last Income affidavit for 15 months but after that only have bank book showing 41K Baht monthly coming in ... If I can't switch "OA Non_imm" visa to "Marriage O" visa and use my monthly 41K Baht bank deposits then I may have to go rogue since we spent our last 1,000,000 Baht on our own home 8 yers ago ... gee what great fun spending the next 15 months worrying about whether or not I'll be kicked out of Thailand and Thai wife and our 2 sons have no money to live on ... Thai Imm doesn't seem to give a sh*t one way or the other ... seems Thai govt/authorities cutting off nose to spite face ... as Forrest Gump said stupid is as stupid does ... As Confucius said “Real knowledge is to know the extent of one’s ignorance.” or how about  “Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.” or “The strength of a nation derives from the integrity of the home.”  .... Nothing is worse than active ignorance .... say nothing about someone if you cannot say something good .... so I'd better stop now ........... AARRRGGGHH

Immigration don't make the laws.....that's the government's job....but your point is well taken. A lot of people do abuse the income requirements and I know that the US embassy did little or rather no checking/verifying when I first came here in 2008. 

I get the feeling that the government don't want Thailand to be a home for the less-well funded farang. This is why they seem to be making laws that make extending one's visa more difficult and/or more expensive. They don't really care if it inconveniences ex-pats, or if the ex-pats go home. They don't really like us here anyway.

Like Thaksin years back with his 'elite visa' the government is after people with pots of money.

1 hour ago, SuperMooNoi said:

Phuket always sucked. Never understood that it supposed to be the holiday destination no. 1in Thailand.

Didn't think it sucked my first time there in 2000, but definitely did in 2016. Never to return, nor recommend. It definitely sux now. 

Lived in Phuket for 10 years from 1999-2009. Moved elsewhere in Thailand for the last ten years. I loved Phuket, was truly paradise first five years, then became too touristy for my tastes by about 2008. Lately, I have been thinking about maybe spending a month back there, but from everything I read and from people I talk to, I can't find a strong reason to do that. There are other better places. I've moved on, and Phuket has gotten progressively less livable year by year from all accounts.

3 hours ago, totally thaied up said:

My wife says her Thai friends say it is cheaper to go to Japan for a few days and get treated decently than to now go to Phuket.

Now that is coming from a Thai ...

I can understand that. Japan is no more expensive if you travel as a group tour and staying at the fringe of the cities. No nasty surprises either. Everything is above board. You get what you paid for . I normally stayed at 4 star lodging in Thailand but in Phuket, I had to make do with a 3 star one for the similar cost.  Similar restaurant food also cost more. Quality of facilities and services do not justify the price increase though.  

Visa forum as usual. Bunch if old farts sitting, crying and hoping it will all go down the hill, yet phuket is still alright. I live and work here and I don't have a high salary but then again I still eat for 50thb/meal. Dont refuse myself and gf much. Bangla the other night was packed as hell, beaches at totally fine, streets as normal as you would expect from an SEA region? Water yeah but that's well expected too, how many bloody boats with chinese are there still way too many for the islands to handle.

54 minutes ago, Ctkong said:

I can understand that. Japan is no more expensive if you travel as a group tour and staying at the fringe of the cities. No nasty surprises either. Everything is above board. You get what you paid for . I normally stayed at 4 star lodging in Thailand but in Phuket, I had to make do with a 3 star one for the similar cost.  Similar restaurant food also cost more. Quality of facilities and services do not justify the price increase though.  

Ibis patong by accor 3* 1200thb/n, holiday inn maikhao by ihg 4* 3000/n, angsana by banyan tree 5* 4000/n. Gooooood luck looking for such prices for big brands in Japan heck even bangkok lmao. Japan only if you get a deal for the airlines otherwise yeah for sure cheaper 2 nights in Japan comparing to 5 in phuket.

I strongly believe this has todo with the fact that tourists in general have come to their senses not to travel to south of Thailand during rain season. For what purpose would it be to travel and expect sunshine and bath when all you see is gust, cloud and high waves with the monsoon right above their heads. 

December is the peak of the rain season in the south and this also includes the gulf as well as in the Andaman sea. I always warn people not to travel to Thailand during this period. 

Went to Karon beach a few years ago,our hotel was full of Russians my wife was the only thai staying in the hotel,getting to the buffet breakfast was like the start of the Boston marathon, never again,just experienced the same in Pattaya a few months ago with chinnese,people dont need that crap fighting for food at breakfast,my friends that used the come here go to Bali or the Philippines now,much cheaper,

Kanchanaburi is pretty quiet now too,cheers

12 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

I live in Hua Hin which is about 10-30% more expensive than say near by Pranburi or Phetchaburi and when I went to Phuket it was so expensive for everything I was like let me out of here.  

I was the same in Ao Nang last year.  So much so that we came home a day early.  

It was costing so much for European-priced, not very good food that home and my own kitchen beckoned more than being there, nice as it is.

1 hour ago, racket said:

December is the peak of the rain season in the south and this also includes the gulf as well as in the Andaman sea. I always warn people not to travel to Thailand during this period. 

people don't know there are 2 monsoon seasons in Thailand, we have a friend running a bar on Koh Lanta and it's just a 3 month season.

Archived