"Expensive" Phuket dead as a dodo this high season

webfact

33 minutes ago, Rocket Hawks said:

Phuket has become a rich man’s paradise. Exact same thing that happened to California. California used to be cheap as hell too. Now it will cost you $20 million USD to by a dumpy house in Manhattan Beach. 

Hum. I own a house in Manhattan Beach and it certainly isn't worth $20 million! But my house in Santa Cruz I bought for $59K is worth over a million now. But my house in Rawai hasn't changed much in the past 13 years.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I,m in Kata/Karon now on my first visit to Phuket although I,ve lived here in LOS for 5 years and it seems busy enough....hotel (large 4*) is 95% full.....unfortunately mostly Ruskies.....prices of thai food in local restaurants seems fine no clomplaints there....happy to be leaving tomorrow though....for Kata/Karon its like being in Moscow.......:whistling:

On 12/20/2018 at 12:00 PM, NamKangMan said:

So, people chose to live on Phuket because it has a good immigration office.  Okkkkkkkkk.   ????

LOL, I doubt it but it's definitely a major reason as to why I would never consider living in Chiang Mai, that and the 'burning' they do up there.

8 hours ago, Rocket Hawks said:

Heading to a yacht party today and then to a massive Christmas party at a super mansion in the Phuket hills with a guest list of 1000+ people. They literally will have cattle troughs filled with Cocaine for guests and naked models serving drinks throughout the mansion

Perhaps the poster has been into too much of the 'Bolivian marching powder'??

Either that or I'm going to put on my pantomime cattle suit and mosey on up there!

Why do people actually live in Phuket these days?

I get why tourists, who don't know any better, would believe web sites and come to Phuket for a holiday. But I doubt many will come more than once...and they aren't...

But the amount of whining on this thread makes me question why people continue to live there. What is the attraction of being on a tourist island...when you hate tourists?

For, me, it's not the expense, it's just not a pleasant place. The scamming surly locals from the moment you step out of the airport, crappy food, traffic, dirty beaches, poor infrastructure and corruption. It's just not enjoyable on any level.

12 minutes ago, DLock said:

I get why tourists, who don't know any better, would believe web sites and come to Phuket for a holiday. But I doubt many will come more than once...and they aren't...

But the amount of whining on this thread makes me question why people continue to live there. What is the attraction of being on a tourist island...when you hate tourists?

For, me, it's not the expense, it's just not a pleasant place. The scamming surly locals from the moment you step out of the airport, crappy food, traffic, dirty beaches, poor infrastructure and corruption. It's just not enjoyable on any level.

Much of the 'whining' is by members who don't 'live' here maybe never been here for years.

I only consider NKM as our resident Phuket basher. Mostly transport related.

Ex pats live here because it suits their life style, budget, what ever. Like any where in the world the incoming 'locals' know how to get the best value for their bucks.

1 hour ago, DLock said:

Most, if not all expats, including myself, have work arounds, and local knowledge, so it's not too difficult to avoid all the BS here. 

That said, whether expats here like it or not, and whether expats here admit it or not, in my opinion, we do, indirectly, get caught up in some of the BS here.  Your post touches on some main examples, being traffic, infrastructure, corruption, and water pollution.  There are no work arounds for these.  

With local knowledge, and work arounds, Phuket offers a great lifestyle for expats, even with the extra expense.  However, I do agree with you, as a tourist, you probably would not come back here after your first visit, and with the internet and social media, not to mention word of mouth, there are many choosing not even to come here their first time.  Thus, the majority of tourists to Phuket now are cheap holiday package Chinese, who are, in general, shielded from some of the BS here, eg. transport mafia, and due to their mass tourism, are shielded from higher prices, as they can push the prices low for restaurants and activities etc.   

1 hour ago, LivinginKata said:

Much of the 'whining' is by members who don't 'live' here maybe never been here for years.

I only consider NKM as our resident Phuket basher. Mostly transport related.

Ex pats live here because it suits their life style, budget, what ever. Like any where in the world the incoming 'locals' know how to get the best value for their bucks.

I'll take that as a compliment, LIK.  ????

In my defense, if, for example, Phuket's transport situation was discussed on this forum, is it "whining" or "bashing" to say it is "sh*te" or is it simply a fact that it is "sh*te?" 

If broader issues are discussed, such as, the tourism industry, or the local Phuket economy, is it "whining" or "bashing" or being "negative" to disagree with the direction the TAT has steered Phuket, or if the local economy is in a downturn?

As someone with no property here, no business here, no family here, I can see the need for those who have invested here, either financially and / or emotionally, to live in denial, and I am not talking about you LIK, I am talking in general, but as expats who have chose to live here, why can't Phuket's shortfalls be discussed without being labeled a "Phuket basher?"  Just on this point, what can be said about a "Phuket basher - basher????"   ????

2 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Ex pats live here because it suits their life style, budget, what ever.

35 minutes ago, NamKangMan said:

With local knowledge, and work arounds, Phuket offers a great lifestyle for expats, even with the extra expense

21 minutes ago, NamKangMan said:

I am talking in general, but as expats who have chose to live here, why can't Phuket's shortfalls be discussed without being labelled a "Phuket basher?" 

The last few posts incorporate some very good points with regards to the expats who live here and I have noted a few of them above, and in one way or another, they all hit the nail on the head.

Perhaps there are any other expats out there like me..........I live here because it suits my lifestyle (as commented on by LiK) and as suggested by NKM, with local knowledge I can find workarounds which suit me, then of course there are the emotional and friendship attachments, so I try to put aside the negative aspects which if I am careful, don't impinge upon my lifestyle too much.

Phuket/Patong shortfalls are many and varied but workarounds do work for me, however that doesn't stop me from mentioning the shortfalls, especially when they become so blatantly obvious as to be extremely dangerous or stupid – – because there is no excuse for that in my book.

I don't bash per se and I don't think many others do, but I just post it like I see it and how it affects me, and if that is the truth, then it is hardly bashing in my opinion....just telling it like it is.

9 minutes ago, xylophone said:

The last few posts incorporate some very good points with regards to the expats who live here and I have noted a few of them above, and in one way or another, they all hit the nail on the head.

Perhaps there are any other expats out there like me..........I live here because it suits my lifestyle (as commented on by LiK) and as suggested by NKM, with local knowledge I can find workarounds which suit me, then of course there are the emotional and friendship attachments, so I try to put aside the negative aspects which if I am careful, don't impinge upon my lifestyle too much.

Phuket/Patong shortfalls are many and varied but workarounds do work for me, however that doesn't stop me from mentioning the shortfalls, especially when they become so blatantly obvious as to be extremely dangerous or stupid – – because there is no excuse for that in my book.

I don't bash per se and I don't think many others do, but I just post it like I see it and how it affects me, and if that is the truth, then it is hardly bashing in my opinion....just telling it like it is.

Well said, XP. 

I note that a lot of the Phuket basher - bashers are not posting much "bashing" towards other members these days.  Probably because the predicted changes they ridiculed others for, have just about all taken place.  

I'm always up for a healthy debate, on any topic, and any thread, but where are those who ridiculed, and backed up that ridicule with sweeping statements, such as the good old, "the Thai's would never let that happen?" 

These posters are nowhere to be seen these days.     

53 minutes ago, NamKangMan said:

<snip>

I'll take that as a compliment, LIK.  ????

Yes, glad you see it that way.

I'll take back the 'basher' title. My bad. How about 'keep on banging about Tuk Tuk mafia and lack of cheap public transport'. You are correct but your posts are far too predictable.

NKM - would you not concede that there have been major improvements this last year. Smart bus, night bus, Grab, more meter taxis. Baby steps I know. But still small steps towards your dream. Baht buses still a step too far for Patong. 

26 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

Yes, glad you see it that way.

I'll take back the 'basher' title. My bad. How about 'keep on banging about Tuk Tuk mafia and lack of cheap public transport'. You are correct but your posts are far too predictable.

NKM - would you not concede that there have been major improvements this last year. Smart bus, night bus, Grab, more meter taxis. Baby steps I know. But still small steps towards your dream. Baht buses still a step too far for Patong. 

It's all internet banter, LIK.  No problem here.

Yes, i am extremely vocal on the transport situation here.  I freely admit that. 

In my opinion, it's the single biggest issue that has repelled the western tourists.  That's my opinion, now let's talk facts. 

The lack of proper public transport here lead to Phuket being the worst Province in Thailand for road accidents, thus, road deaths and injuries.  Not to mention parking problems, and noise and air pollution.  That puts Phuket's roads as some of the most dangerous in the world.  Yes, the world.  The transport "situation" here has killed thousands over the years.  It's a disgrace.

Yes, I concede improvements have been made to transport here, but have also said it's "too little, and too late."  A comment I stand behind.  These improvements will benefit those still living here, those continuing to holiday here, and the few that will chose to come here for the first time, that aren't in a coach bus.  However, in my opinion, it falls far short of a comprehensive overhaul, and disintegration of the "transport club" here. 

Your use of the words "major improvements" is interesting.  "Major" when compared to where????  Since when does "baby steps" become "major improvements?"  All I have ever said is Phuket should have the same transport options as other parts of Thailand.  Nothing more, but nothing less.   

Your use of the term "baby steps" tends to be an admission that more should have been done, and more needs to be done, if Phuket is to regain its lost market share. 

On the transport issue, I don't make allowances for the murderous collusion of the transport mafia here. 

"Improvement" - yes.  "Major improvement" - no.  That said, an improvement is an improvement, and I hope it continues. 

On 12/17/2018 at 10:04 AM, smedly said:

said it a long time ago - with greed in entertainment venues and ripoff transport they have priced themselves out of the market, certain areas of pattaya have done the same along with Ban Chang and the islands - they just can't help themselves, they seem to think tourists have no other choices and will keep coming as prices go up along with the baht - they won't

Probably getting even worse as Thai tend to raise their prices when turnover drops. Killing spiral.

2 hours ago, balo said:

My Scandinavian friends always went there on holiday . They have money to burn. But I have never been tempted, I hate scams and rip-offs. 

Interesting- yet again opinions on how bad a place is by someone who hasn't been there- classic.

For your info the majority of people staying where I live at the moment ARE Skandies. I guess they love 'scams and ripoffs'.

Phuket is not that expensive if you know the ropes.  If you go outside of high season the hotels are aggressively priced and lower than say for instance Pattaya.  Phuket is still clean and the air clear particularly compared with Pattaya and Bangkok.  People go to Phuke with families not mainly sex tourists.  It's a big spread out island.  The ones hurting are not the high end but those who cater to the middle class tourist.  The world scene is a mess right now and the baht way too strong.

Phuket is not that expensive if you know the ropes.  If you go outside of high season the hotels are aggressively priced and lower than say for instance Pattaya.  Phuket is still clean and the air clear particularly compared with Pattaya and Bangkok.  People go to Phuke with families not mainly sex tourists.  It's a big spread out island.  The ones hurting are not the high end but those who cater to the middle class tourist.  The world scene is a mess right now and the baht way too strong.
" are aggressively priced and lower than say for instance Pattaya"

What are you smoking?

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, losworld said:

the hotels are aggressively priced and lower than say for instance Pattaya. 

Utter nonsense. Not even close. Give me an example of 500 baht rooms with swimming pool.

7 hours ago, Psimbo said:

For your info the majority of people staying where I live at the moment ARE Skandies.

And they pay more than us living in Pattaya, thats all I need to know.

On 12/21/2018 at 1:32 PM, the guest said:

Yeah not only is Thailand expensive, but the Thai Baht is artificially too high. Many of my friends have given the country the red light, and gone to other Asian countries.

The party is certainly over !

"Artificially high"? What does that mean? Oh, I see, it's just your opinion and you'd like it lower for your own gain.

Global currency markets set the rates. If it really was "artificially high", then, we would be seeing 1997 all over again.

Obviously, "your mates" would rather go to a cheaper destination.

On 12/23/2018 at 11:48 AM, Rocket Hawks said:

Phuket dead? I think not. I live in Naithon Beach and the place in riddled with annoying tourists right now. And Naithon is an area that is supposed to be super quiet.

I was in Laguna Beach for dinner last night at a restaurant called Little Paris and it was slammed.

Could hardly move when shopping at Villa Market for groceries this morning. 

Heading to a yacht party today and then to a massive Christmas party at a super mansion in the Phuket hills with a guest list of 1000+ people. They literally will have cattle troughs filled with Cocaine for guests and naked models serving drinks throughout the mansion.

Anyone saying Phuket is dead has no idea what they’re talking about. I come from the wealthiest part of the United States and I’ve never seen wealth like I’ve seen in Phuket. I have friends that are tech billionaires in the US and they look poor compared to the people I’ve met in Phuket. We’re talking stupid rich. Donald Trump wouldn’t even make top 1000 richest people in Phuket.

All the rich people here are intentionally driving up the prices to push all the farang Khee Nok out of town. The Thais don’t need them when you have Barack Obama and Beyoncé as regular visitors and Russian and Italian mafia king pins that seem to have unlimited wealth. Like you’ve got German multi-billionaires like Klause Hebben that owns Thanyapura and Amanpuri Health & Sports Resorts living here. Dude owns like 8 mountains in Thailand just because he can. 

Phuket has become a rich man’s paradise. Exact same thing that happened to California. California used to be cheap as hell too. Now it will cost you $20 million USD to by a dumpy house in Manhattan Beach. 

9ACCEEFC-01A4-4531-BC0A-3F5BABAF29A3.jpeg

You ripped that photo off a real estate web-site. It's for sale.

Troughs of cocaine? 5555555555

Obama has never been here. What are you smoking (or snorting)?

On 12/23/2018 at 2:30 PM, petermik said:

I,m in Kata/Karon now on my first visit to Phuket although I,ve lived here in LOS for 5 years and it seems busy enough....hotel (large 4*) is 95% full.....unfortunately mostly Ruskies.....prices of thai food in local restaurants seems fine no clomplaints there....happy to be leaving tomorrow though....for Kata/Karon its like being in Moscow.......:whistling:

......and there's the main reason why most of the Western market disappeared. Nothing to do with transport.

Kata has always been the tourist ghetto area,

overpriced rooms, ripoffs, lousy farang Thai food and most of the locals do NOT come from Phuket

Being  a local expat, cant even recall how many decades its been since i sat in a TukTuk.

Phuket was fine for raising my daughter and living an still is better than lots of places

On 12/25/2018 at 12:30 PM, Joe Mcseismic said:

......and there's the main reason why most of the Western market disappeared. Nothing to do with transport.

I disagree, 

Most of the Russians are on coach buses as well.

For the independent western holiday maker, their biggest complaint was, and still is, from the few I meet these days, the lack of proper public transport. 

On 12/18/2018 at 12:05 PM, hansgruber said:

Where else will they get their money to run the country? 

It's horrible I agree but it's necessary for Thailand. 

Well, for a start, Thailand could spend as much effort with the army on Thai people who on't declare taxes are they do hunting down visa overstayers.

I can remember The Good General in his early days *pleading* to his nation to do the right thing and pay their income taxes. The govt are totally lost here and the Thai personal income tax situation is out of hand and out of control.

Getting Thai people to pay their taxes (and their traffic fines) might go a long way to 'getting their money to run the country'.

On 12/21/2018 at 3:40 PM, xylophone said:

There is a lot of truth in what you say, and also a lot of truth in what NamKangMan has posted, and it is a rather mixed bag in my opinion.

I have spoken to owners of bars, restaurants, beauty salons, guesthouses and small hotels as well as some of the workers, and the great percentage of them say that business is quiet, in fact one restaurant owner in a very busy Soi near Bangla has said that his business is currently 60% down this year versus the same period last year.

Not only that a few expats that I've spoken to have said that the massage girls standing outside of their relevant parlours are getting very aggressive in their approach to foreigners because they are desperately short of money and need the business.

There may be people milling around, but they aren't spending anywhere near enough to support the tourist industry in the main here.

And sure enough, some of the smaller businesses have closed or are close to it, but there again maybe they are a throwback to the "old days"..........??

Yes, you see, and this is the hub of the problem - focusing on short stay tourists at the expense of long-stayers. Up to about 10 years ago there were literally thousands of manual workers, all single males, coming to Thailand from the USA, Europe and Australia. These were people who came here for their winter season and spent a great deal of money overall. Partly the prohibitive exchange rate of the baht is responsible for their decline.

But equally so is an immigration system that for several years has been making many new rules, all of which are heavily biased to encourage short-stay Chinese, and to effectively discourage the 4-or even 6-month stayers.

In addition to this the full-time stayers, those who are (or want to be) retired here, are becoming even more discouraged by similarly demanding immigration criteria. And the vast majority of these have cashed-in the equity on their properties or sold their business and are positively cash-rich.

It seems to be not only foolish but positively irresponsible for a government to ignore - discourage - this lucrative sector of their potential revenue. The way to go would be to woo the long-term immigrants with equal enthusiasm as the ever-increasing 7-day tourists.

But then there is - unfortunately with Thailand - the aspect of Face to consider. A quick increase in Chinese tourists LOOKS good statistically. They can all crow about it, even though less revenue is actually being generated. And they'll all gone in a week, anyway, with very little to worry about.

But when it comes to Face, then there's the squirming discomfort of Thai administrators feeling nervous about hosting huge numbers of long-stay farangs , many of whom can speak several languages, are better educated, more-highly skilled, are analytical thinkers, can solve problems, are able to express informed critical options on local and world affairs and (mostly!) have some degree of common sense (all speaking comparatively, of course).

I think it'll take a long time to get this sorted - time until the current generation of the Hi-So kids who are currently away at universities in America and Europe bring more worldly and informed attitudes into the system. And until that time I can't see Thailand doing anything but put their foot in it every time they open their administrative mouths, particularly when it comes to what is currently a very confused immigration policy.

Phuket saw it's hay day, Pattaya! Anyone that travels much knows that these places are living on past reputations. It's over plane and simple. If from the Western hemisphere Colombia, southern Mexico, central America. Those are the wild wild west spots now. Wild wild west is over in most of Thailand now IMO. Thailand for me was fun and exciting years ago. But, I like the wild wild west towns. Luckily they are still around, just not in Thailand... haha

Hell if I want to spend an afternoon in an air conditioned mall I can do that at home. 

Pick your poison. 

Seems like this thread is mainly about Patong, I've never been there just Chalong, I liked it and had a good time there, this was about 4 or 5 years ago. I'm coming back on this R&R for a few days to look at a sailboat that's for sale. Will be staying in Chalong again. I have been told that Bangla is like a mini Walking Street in Pattaya. If that's the case you can have it. I seem to have a good time everywhere I go in Thailand. There is an area in Bangkok I like. It's Soi 22 Sukhumvit. Been going there for about 10 years. I have noticed things have slowed down from when I first started going there but I still like it. There is a Chinese restaurant not far that's one of the best I've ever been to. I've never seen one forang there, not one. Anyway, I don't come home to Thailand because it's cheap, maybe not as cheap as it used to be, I keep coming back because I like it. It's fun for me and I feel good when I'm there. If it stops being fun or gets to where I don't feel good there I'll go somewhere else, Cambodia, Vietnam. I've been to both and like them also. 

Archived