Motorcyclists ignoring the rules as Jomtien accident black spot worries locals

webfact

Motorcyclists ignoring the rules as Jomtien accident black spot worries locals

4pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Sanook reported that locals were furious that motorcyclists in Jomtien, Pattaya were just ignoring road rules. 

An area near the market on Sai 2 has been blocked off for U-turns by the erection of cement barriers. 

But that is not stopping the bikers who were pictured doing as they please with no one in authority making an effort to stop them.

The media was told by complainants that it is only a matter of time before there is a serious accident.

They called on City Hall to investigate. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-12-17

It's just another example of poor road planning when Sai 2 

was constructed, if they consider it dangerous.

This blocking off of U turns is apparent all over the country

you have to ask yourselves what's the reasoning and why 

build them in the first place.

19 minutes ago, quandow said:

That's been going on for years. No accident reported of which I'm aware (though if there HAS been one I'm sure I will be corrected in record time!). They never should have put those damned barriers up in the first place.

There was one there earlier this year,  a thai, ambulance the lot was there and person lying on the road wasnt moving but did have a helmet on.

If this is the spot I am thinking of the restriction on U-turns is rather a problem. Those wanting to to get to immigration, who come from Thrappaya into Jomtiem 2nd Rd have no way of getting across the central reservation for about 2km. There is an illegal narrow spot where motorcycles do it, but a decent, safer place should be available without having to go near to Chaiyaphruek.

numerically, more thais than falang crossing there. otherwise go all way down to soi bunkhan for u turn. yea, bad planning.

but again, no harm no foul. pretty stupid thing to make a fuss over given the overall silliness of the roads here.

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

If this is the spot I am thinking of the restriction on U-turns is rather a problem. Those wanting to to get to immigration, who come from Thrappaya into Jomtiem 2nd Rd have no way of getting across the central reservation for about 2km. There is an illegal narrow spot where motorcycles do it, but a decent, safer place should be available without having to go near to Chaiyaphruek.

If I have to go into Jomtien Soi 5 from that side I go down to Jomtien Beach Road at the lights (opposite the Hanuman statue) and up Soi 5 to immigration.

5 minutes ago, Jonah Tenner said:

If I have to go into Jomtien Soi 5 from that side I go down to Jomtien Beach Road at the lights (opposite the Hanuman statue) and up Soi 5 to immigration.

Yes of course, but those lights persuaded me otherwise as they were green for straight on and the sun was beating down. I actually go the long way round often, riding up the railway line bypass, get onto soi Watboon and come from the other direction. 

There used to be a "U-Turn" directly across from Soi 5 that made it too easy when you were coming from Pattaya (but too dangerous as well apparently). They blocked that off years ago.

I recall the first time I rode down there and seeing the barricades, I expected that there'd be a little "go around" already being used but there wasn't. Frikken long way to go to get to a legal U-Turn.

Since then I just make the right turn at the lights and head towards the beach and come up soi 5 from the other end. 

The turn-around pictured in the OP is a little further past the soi 5 turn off and, coincidentally, if you look on Google Maps, the image from Jan 2018 shows another moto doing the same thing as the guy in the OP (different guy though - maybe). (But if you switch to the other side of the road and look at the image, dated Sept 2017) there is a (large) woman also making an illegal turn there.)

The way traffic tends to fly down #2 road there, I can see why they blocked the "u-turns". Too many idiots see people coming straight at them at 80-90 km/hr, and turn onto the road directly in front of them anyways ! (Just like how so many people come off of a side street onto a main street without even slowing down or looking to see if they are about to be plastered by someone who can't simply move over to the right far enough to avoid an accident.)

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Sanook reported that locals were furious that motorcyclists in Jomtien, Pattaya were just ignoring road rules. 

Oh pa-lease!  Are the locals all farangs.  If they are Thais, they drive exactly the same way. 

Well the solution is, they are converting the U turn to a 

pedestrian walkway as we speak, pictures taken today.

IMG_0016.thumb.jpg.6d4dbd252b162eb8c832c82f156134e3.jpgIMG_0019.thumb.jpg.29a58530b09cf592ffe75ce518c1310c.jpg

Although pedestrians cross at your peril as it will certainly 

be used as a U turn and Right Turn in to the Rompho market &

bars as well.

Chaos in the making! ????

1 hour ago, hansnl said:

Ignoring the rules?

Rules?

What rules?

Today i parked my motobike at the mall where all bikes always park (and even cars). There are ""no parking"" signs for ages but nobody cares at all. I parked at a site where there are no signs though.

When i came back the bike was gone, i asked the guards where it was and they had dragged it more than 100 meters away from the spot.

He then showed me the sign of another spot which says no parking but it was turned the wrong way, if you arrive you even can't see it (also because of all the parked bikes against it normally).

So they only apply the rules when they want to. To foreigners that is.

19 minutes ago, sotsira said:

Although pedestrians cross at your peril as it will certainly 

be used as a U turn and Right Turn in to the Rompho market &

bars as well.

I have much understanding that not many want to drive 2.3 km (!) on the official way to get to the other side of the road. I once did, unbelievable.

Only complete idiots build a road as a race track through populated areas.

I hope they will install hefty speed bumpers before the crosswalk otherwise more slaughter is ahead.

crazy.jpg

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

There used to be a "U-Turn" directly across from Soi 5 that made it too easy when you were coming from Pattaya (but too dangerous as well apparently). They blocked that off years ago.

I recall the first time I rode down there and seeing the barricades, I expected that there'd be a little "go around" already being used but there wasn't. Frikken long way to go to get to a legal U-Turn.

Since then I just make the right turn at the lights and head towards the beach and come up soi 5 from the other end. 

The turn-around pictured in the OP is a little further past the soi 5 turn off and, coincidentally, if you look on Google Maps, the image from Jan 2018 shows another moto doing the same thing as the guy in the OP (different guy though - maybe). (But if you switch to the other side of the road and look at the image, dated Sept 2017) there is a (large) woman also making an illegal turn there.)

The way traffic tends to fly down #2 road there, I can see why they blocked the "u-turns". Too many idiots see people coming straight at them at 80-90 km/hr, and turn onto the road directly in front of them anyways ! (Just like how so many people come off of a side street onto a main street without even slowing down or looking to see if they are about to be plastered by someone who can't simply move over to the right far enough to avoid an accident.)

All this reminds of the American who hires a huge cadillac to tour Ireland. He gets lost one day and stops and asks a local for directions at a cross roads.

Jaysus, says the local, if you go straight you'll get stuck on the hump back bridge, if you go left you'll never get that car around the really tight hairpin and if you go right then the road gets so narrow you'll never get through. You know, if I were you I wouldn't start from here.

I only go in that direction when I have to visit immigration. Normally I'm on a bicycle so easy for me to cross , just keep your eyes open for incoming traffic. The road is straight so there is really no danger if you use your eyes. 

7 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

I'm sure that placing a couple more cement barriers where that motorcyclist is wouldn't be to much of a hardship. There must be other places that pedestrians can cross.  

I wouldn't be quite so sure, you are underestimating their stubbornness and stupidity by quite some margin.

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

I have much understanding that not many want to drive 2.3 km (!) on the official way to get to the other side of the road. I once did, unbelievable.

Only complete idiots build a road as a race track through populated areas.

I hope they will install hefty speed bumpers before the crosswalk otherwise more slaughter is ahead.

crazy.jpg

Sigh ???? so far to go! And to think how much time this takes away from sitting on my ass wondering what to do with the rest of my day

1 hour ago, balo said:

I only go in that direction when I have to visit immigration. Normally I'm on a bicycle so easy for me to cross , just keep your eyes open for incoming traffic. The road is straight so there is really no danger if you use your eyes. 

Whoa whoa whoa!! Next you’ll be telling people they have necks so they can turn there heads side to side as well! 

Archived