absolute beginner

nikmar

Hi,

I have recently been approached by a young lady who works near me. She wants my help in picking up some basic English as she sees many westerners whilst working on her street stall. The problem is, she is at pre basic level. By that I mean, she has no English knowledge at all. She cant count beyond 10, doesnt know the alphabet and has no vocabulary. At all.

I would like to help but feel she really needs a Thai teacher, and Im not sure she can read Thai but I would be very grateful for any hints about ways I could help. Websites / apps I could point her towards or even where to begin. This isnt for money, just trying to help a fellow human being.

Any ideas? 

Teach her some basic sentences first, e.g. My name is ??????    Hello, what is your name ?   What is the time ? and then teach how to tell the time. Its the best way. Write down a load of basic simple sentences.  Buy The Lonely Planet Phrase Book, and go through it. Then she will always have a Thai translation. thats how I learnt Thai

Lots of bar-girls learn English by just trying it often enough. First they understand nothing, then very little, then a little more, and after a while many of them are pretty good in English.

I think it's a question of how much time you want to spend with her. And maybe maybe that is the reason she asked. Maybe she want's that you spend a lot of time with her - and maybe not only to learn English.

Not fluent in Thai but speak enough to make myself understood in most situations. 

Currently getting my son to write karaoke style language in Thai next to simple English sentences and were going from there. Also getting her to learn the alphabet on Youtube along with simple vocab. 

Have some ideas to go with here. ????

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Lots of bar-girls learn English by just trying it often enough. First they understand nothing, then very little, then a little more, and after a while many of them are pretty good in English.

I think it's a question of how much time you want to spend with her. And maybe maybe that is the reason she asked. Maybe she want's that you spend a lot of time with her - and maybe not only to learn English.

She s gorgeous by the way. But also married with 3 kids so thats defo out of the question. Ive met the husband as well.

I see her everyday so a bit of time as and when i can spare it.

If she's a vendor, start with the numbers. Then, find an alphabet book, or make your own - "a -apple, b-bed" etc. If your Thai is at some sort of intermediate level, you can then proceed to some vocabulary which she can write. Once she gets to the point where she can speak Thailish (Thai grammar in English), she needs a Thai teacher.

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Most bar girls learn from this. There's a copy behind the bar in most bars. Available at all good bookshops on Walking Street.

1502100246_20180224_175408-Copy.thumb.jpg.30b2a0853124bbd7fd0427013a1b9dba.jpg

12 hours ago, allane said:

Hard to advise you, because you haven't answered the most obvious question:  How well do you speak Thai ?  That said, I learned the Thai alphabet from a picture book for young children, with explanation from a friend.

Why would he need to speak Thai.  My step-daughter when she went to the UK she couldn't speak a word of English.  Thrown into school where, of course, nobody spoke Thai.  Within a couple of months she was speaking English with her friends.  My wife in the UK learnt most of her English from children's TV programs.

When I taught at university, I refused to allow Thai in my class including any transliteration.  I could teach you some simple Italian using only Italian.  Within 15 minutes you could answer and ask basic questions and understand what was being said.

When you learnt your native language, were you taught using another language?  Of course not.

Basic language can be learnt by repetition supported by actions to demonstrate meanings.

Haha. Exactly my thought also. My daughter has just turned 3 and she knew the whole alphabet in Thai and English before the age of 2.Now her English is better than her moms.No issues with r or l either. So the ABC songs do work
Kids are super quick to pick up new knowledge.

The older they get the harder it becomes

Start by trying to explain this... We fly, they fly, you fly, I fly, he flies... 

Just kidding but probably first step is to start with a vocabulary list and test their interest in learning... some people want to learn but not if it requires time and effort &... 

17 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

A few years ago when I utilized TF (dating site) to meet Thai fems, I noted the frequency of "I want to learn English". This was just a 'come on line'. I never met one that was truly there wanting to meet a farang so that she could learn English. Heh, but it was fun! Glad now that those days are behind me.

Archived