Bangkok rises to 90th most costly location for expats: survey

snoop1130

Bangkok rises to 90th most costly location for expats: survey

By The Nation

bangkok-chaophrayariver-920x500.jpg

Bangkok has risen 32 places and entered the top 100 most expensive locations for the first time, according to the latest cost of living survey published by ECD International.

“Over the past five years, Bangkok has climbed more than 80 places. The Thai capital now sits in 90th place in our cost of living rankings. The baht has strengthened in recent years, as the economy has expanded and the political landscape has stabilised. 

“This means that Thai locations are now significantly more expensive for expat workers than they have been in the past,” Lee Quane, regional director – Asia, said on Monday.

While Malaysian cities have seen big rises in the rankings, all three of the country’s surveyed locations still sit outside of the global top 150. 

Kuala Lumpur is the highest placed Malaysian city, having risen 24 places to 188th.

Singapore has returned to the global top 20 most expensive locations for expats as the 18th most expensive city in the world for expatriate workers. 

Within Asia, Singapore is the ninth most expensive location.

ECD International is a leading provider of knowledge, information and software for management and the assignment of employees around the world.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30360572

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-12-17

Better innovate new encouraging incentives on visa issues for expats and retirees (and their ca$h)...... because tourist numbers (and their money mainly) are going to take a serious fall on the short term and the expat$/retirees will shortly follow....Vietnam is just a jet away ...

When I do a Google search, I don't find any info re an international cities / expat cost of living survey done by ECD International.

I do find a website for an ECD International firm, which appears to be a PR / communications consulting firm that is hired by client brands.

https://www.ecd-international.com/

39 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

When I do a Google search, I don't find any info re an international cities / expat cost of living survey done by ECD International.

I do find a website for an ECD International firm, which appears to be a PR / communications consulting firm that is hired by client brands.

https://www.ecd-international.com/

it's a boo-boo by the nation. it's actually ECA international. here's the link to the source material - https://www.eca-international.com/news/december-2018/hong-kong-now-the-most-expensive-location-in-east

11 hours ago, shady86 said:

The generals would be happy to hear this. Increase of cost of living means improvement in quality of life.

I always enjoy paying more for something than I did 5 years ago.  Perhaps an increase in the cost of living just indicates greed and overcharging.  The quality of Bangkok to me is the same as 10 years ago;  cracked sidewalks, corrupt government, traffic congestion, pollution and walking past people without any peripheral vision who bump into others.

13 minutes ago, sungod said:

Unless you insist on buying western products in places like Villa, still cheap to live here.

If you like to leave by Western standards with good quality food, decent meat, good restaurants with real tables/cutlery and so on BKK is more expensive than Europe these days.

Yes you can eat from foodcourts and streetfood which are cheaper but that;s for backpackers and taxidrivers.

1 hour ago, irwinfc said:

it's a boo-boo by the nation. it's actually ECA international. here's the link to the source material - https://www.eca-international.com/news/december-2018/hong-kong-now-the-most-expensive-location-in-east

Thanks for the cite re that info.. Stupid twits....

Meanwhile, when I look at the details of the survey on that website, I find some GLARING absences, intentionally, from their survey data -- things such as local rental prices, utility costs and school fees are NOT included in their data and thus their ranking. Because, according to their site, their data is used for helping develop corporate expense packages, and the other stuff like housing/utilities/school fees typically are included in a different compensation package.

So, it would seem, best to take this data and its survey results with a HUGE grain of salt.  And as usual, not only did The Nation get the company's name wrong, but they also neglected to elaborate on just what is and isn't reflected in the survey.

1815075039_2018-12-1810_04_08.jpg.b400d52fcb6b9b4e9d621e22aabf76f3.jpg

This type of survey is often contracted by multinational companies to create a level playing field for employees assigned to different locations, by way of a Goods and Services allowance in their package.  It's therefore in the interest of those completing the survey for it to come out at the higher end - and thus be given a higher G&S allowance.  For example, I have been asked to participate in similar surveys, in different locations, and, while not being dishonest about prices for goods and services, would certainly put the prices of those of the best quality, from more upmarket providers, rather than the local wet market / fast food joint / second hand clothes stall.

(The type of items asked about are listed below (from the ECA website).

Cost of living indices are used by ECA clients to calculate cost of living allowances for assignees. The survey covers:

• Food: Groceries; dairy produce; meat and fish; fresh fruit and vegetables 
  • Basic: Household goods; recreational goods; general services; leisure services
  • General: Clothing; electrical goods; motoring; meals out; alcohol and tobacco

3 hours ago, quandow said:

Yet wages for foreign teachers have remained stagnant for over ten years, and in some ways has actually gone down due to cutbacks in pay raises. I don't see improvements happening any time soon.

There has been no increase in the actual spendable income of the  lower Thai class.  It is almost impossible to live on 300 Baht per day which is the minimum wage with increased rent and utility costs.  Even those that  finish university are stuck with low entry wages.

Couple this with the fact that  1% of the Thai elite control almost 70% of the wealth in Thailand does not auger well for the future.

Expats on contracts from abroad can live well in Thailand as their  home companies will adjust the salaries and living expenses. Thailand badly needs  professional managers and technicians to make up for the  problems in their education system- yet there are no incentives being given to relocate to Thailand. Local hire jobs for expats have fallen year after year because  the Thai companies refuse to pay a reasonable salary for the expertise.

Then there is the Visa hassle; the continual crackdowns which show Thailand in a bad light and the other negatives  not found in other countries.

The Thai Government and its   bureaucracy really needs to look in the mirror and realize the truth about  its country and where it wants to be in the next 10-30 years and have a National strategy to make that happen.

9 hours ago, quandow said:

Yet wages for foreign teachers have remained stagnant for over ten years, and in some ways has actually gone down due to cutbacks in pay raises. I don't see improvements happening any time soon.

No not ten years..... at least 20 ..nearly 30.

Archived