BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

snoop1130

Bangkok rises to 90th most costly location for expats: survey

Unless you are working there i cannot understand why any long term expats would want to live there it's okay for a visit,but to live, well not for me.

3 hours ago, quandow said:

Yet wages for foreign teachers have remained stagnant for over ten years, and in some ways has actually gone down due to cutbacks in pay raises. I don't see improvements happening any time soon.

There has been no increase in the actual spendable income of the  lower Thai class.  It is almost impossible to live on 300 Baht per day which is the minimum wage with increased rent and utility costs.  Even those that  finish university are stuck with low entry wages.

Couple this with the fact that  1% of the Thai elite control almost 70% of the wealth in Thailand does not auger well for the future.

Expats on contracts from abroad can live well in Thailand as their  home companies will adjust the salaries and living expenses. Thailand badly needs  professional managers and technicians to make up for the  problems in their education system- yet there are no incentives being given to relocate to Thailand. Local hire jobs for expats have fallen year after year because  the Thai companies refuse to pay a reasonable salary for the expertise.

Then there is the Visa hassle; the continual crackdowns which show Thailand in a bad light and the other negatives  not found in other countries.

The Thai Government and its   bureaucracy really needs to look in the mirror and realize the truth about  its country and where it wants to be in the next 10-30 years and have a National strategy to make that happen.

9 hours ago, quandow said:

Yet wages for foreign teachers have remained stagnant for over ten years, and in some ways has actually gone down due to cutbacks in pay raises. I don't see improvements happening any time soon.

No not ten years..... at least 20 ..nearly 30.

On 12/17/2018 at 11:55 PM, bartender100 said:

Wheres the cheapest?

Ashgabat, Turkministan

On 12/19/2018 at 6:24 PM, TunnelRat69 said:

Ashgabat, Turkministan

No, that's the most expensive.  The cheapest is Tehran, Iran.