Cops claim Brit drank himself to death in Bangkok hotel despite ‘signs of a fight and ransacked safe’

webfact

14 minutes ago, Youlike said:

Do you know they sell a lot of fake alcohol in the bars? 

Yes and that stuff is lethal. I have had some of those fake spirits by mistake (Whiskey & Vodka) at street bars and had very bad expierences. Once I found out I stopped drinking at those bars and checked more closely what I was drinking at other bars. Those fake spirits will kill you more easily than the genuine ones.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ukrules said:

Drinking himself to death is the wrong description by whoever wrote the article.

It's likely he died of alcohol poisoning which happens when you drink too much alcohol too quickly.

What most people know of as 'drinking yourself to death' is more likely to be long term liver problems eventually leading to organ failure, this is a very different thing.

If he had choked on his own vomit then this would be very obvious when he was found.

Dying from alcohol poisoning would be having drunk to death, you just happen to relate the phrase to slower acting fatal reactions.

11 hours ago, robblok said:

These guys are English I seen them in action when consuming alcohol, they can't beat Russians but the English are famous for their binge drinking. I have seen that often with my own eyes in France and Spain. I don't see this as really strange couple of drunks carrying an other drunk and then going back to drink more. If they were all drinking we should not expect logic from them.

No I am not saying all people from the UK consume huge loads of alcohol (statistics show they are on par with many other European countries) I am talking about binge drinking and just my own observations from when I was younger and partied more. 

Anyway a good autopsy is required what killed him, but just off a plane and going drinking dehydrating yourself even more is a recipe for disaster. 

And I've seen binge drinkers in every country I've worked and lived in.

1 hour ago, johnson36 said:

Yes and that stuff is lethal. I have had some of those fake spirits by mistake (Whiskey & Vodka) at street bars and had very bad expierences. Once I found out I stopped drinking at those bars and checked more closely what I was drinking at other bars. Those fake spirits will kill you more easily than the genuine ones.

Did post once before, after dinner one night my wife and self fancied an Irish/Scottish coffee. I went to the corner shop and all they had was a quarter bottle of JW Black.

It was ok in the coffee so I thought I'd have a glass with a couple of ice cubes afterwards. Was violently sick about 10 minutes later.

7 hours ago, tracy3eyes said:

Could have been DVT from the flight. Clots develop during long haul flights and some people even die in their seats during the flight. Others die after arrival. A clot forms in the leg and a piece breaks away and travels. Effects everybody differently but most just develop a clot and then have to be treated, but some are unlucky! I know about DVT having had about 8 clots since 2003 and now treat and monitor myself. 

One of the more realistic possibilities....  

Definitely a step up from the 'his friends suffocated him' suggestions some idiots are throwing out there... 

But and 'occam's razor' view point... he was drunk and fell over a lot... hence the bruised body... cause of death could well have been alcohol poisoning.... 

I assume there will be an autopsy with the result published to put all the silly BS to rest... 

Oh... and the safe was open because it was never used... Duh !!

10 hours ago, madmen said:

What a dummy. Drinking ramps up hard on holidays especially thailand!!

You think party drugs don't make a difference when drunk?

Have you ever even been in party mode in Asia? Doubt it, plenty die.. Just use Google.

I can explain it for you but I can't understand it for you

He did not go back and forth to his room like the CCTV saw between Silom and Sukhumvit soi 4 dude!! There is nothing to explain!!  Get a job! 

8 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

His mates doing a runner:  You have to think about it from an intelligent drunk's position (normally intelligent, not so much while drunk).

Short holiday, planned for a very long time.  You realize that your friends death means:

(1) you will spend the rest of your holiday sitting in police stations or elsewhere doing "interviews",

OR,

(2) your friend is dead anyway, not much you can do to help him now, so enjoy (most) of your holiday before you return to answer the inevitable million questions.

Bets on that is exactly what they will say, when eventually found.

OR:

(3) You're a convenient dupe for the police who have a reputation for solving crimes in the manner that requires the least amount of effort, doesn't reflect badly on the locals (especially powerful locals), and does the least amount of damage to the tourism trade and a hotel's occupancy rate.  You spend the rest of your life in a Thai prison just for being there.

Whether that reputation is real or not, there are some subsets of the BIB who cannot be counted on- even if you're innocent.

If, as some posters have mentioned, the friends went onto Pattaya, shame on them.  I'd have gone to the airport and given my evidence from a friendlier country with the rule of law.  Not rule by law.

My take ,  drugs related over dose .

Now what  many so  many young farangs  want in LOS  drugs,  easy to buy and cheap.          The good old fashioned sex tourist , quality tourists. those were the days. 

3 hours ago, elliss said:

My take ,  drugs related over dose .

Now what  many so  many young farangs  want in LOS  drugs,  easy to buy and cheap.          The good old fashioned sex tourist , quality tourists. those were the days. 

Well the Autopsy should show if he had drugs in his system. Going on his past record i think they might find that.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/1377043.drugs-minder-gets-two-year-sentence/

19 hours ago, observer90210 said:

The Thai cops forgot to mention that naturally the victim died of alcohool overdose with farang whiskey and naturally not a local illicit brewed Mehkong brew...quite obvious !

Scammers wouldn't bastardize cheap Thai whiskey, but they certainly have a history of bottling and selling pirated JW  (and other "reputable" or popular varieties).  We've seen in the news, people getting caught with pirating alcohol.  Have never seen a report of a farang getting violently ill (it does happen), that would be bad for tourism.

Just now, brianthainess said:

How did his "friends" know he was dead,did they have a key to his room? if having found him dead any sane person, if not able to do CPR, would immediately ask reception to phone for an ambulance. these guys sound to be a little bit suss.???? 

21 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

So the cops are definitely wrong in this case? You were there? And if the toxicology report comes out confirming alcohol or other overdose, what then? It's easy to make incorrect assumptions before all facts are known, so assuming foul play right off the bat would be just as much a mistake as any other premature conclusion. You know there was security camera footage, right? Or did your eyes sail right by that detail? 

I think the problem with this man's death is that the police stated:-

"We don't think there is anything suspicious. We expect it was an accident so we are not investigating it. It's finished."

No mention of an autopsy or toxicology report....

19 hours ago, observer90210 said:

The Thai cops forgot to mention that naturally the victim died of alcohool overdose with farang whiskey and naturally not a local illicit brewed Mehkong brew...quite obvious !

Have you really so little to say you need to fall back on remarks like this? 

On 12/18/2018 at 12:20 PM, JimP said:

Guy looks to be pretty fit and healthy to have 'drunk himself to death,' which sounds like utter bullshit.

Because it is totally ureasonable to assume someone fit and healthy had a far lower tolerance for alcohol than a habitual or chronic drinker. 

To date the only information posted on this series of events comes from an English tabloid and is totally lacking in detail other than the interchangeable application  of the word ransacked for the words open or unlocked. 

45 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:

Because it is totally ureasonable to assume someone fit and healthy had a far lower tolerance for alcohol than a habitual or chronic drinker. 

To date the only information posted on this series of events comes from an English tabloid and is totally lacking in detail other than the interchangeable application  of the word ransacked for the words open or unlocked. 

Another interchangeable you could have added there metempsychotic is the word rag for tabloid.

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 3:45 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

For the average healthy person, I don't think it's so easy to "drink yourself to death."

Unless he had some underlying health problems. Or unless the booze was adulterated/contaminated in some way.

This is pretty clearly one of those cases where a professional autopsy is clearly needed and warranted. But it sounds like from the police guy's statement, they've made their conclusion and are done with the case. No further investigation required.

That's the kind of quick draw statement coming from Thai police that cries out for doing an autopsy.

BTW, kudos to the guy's "friends" / "mates" for leaving him there and running away.  :bah:

It is very easy for anyone to drink themselves to death.  Just drink too much too fast. 

Archived