Cops claim Brit drank himself to death in Bangkok hotel despite ‘signs of a fight and ransacked safe’

webfact

His mates doing a runner:  You have to think about it from an intelligent drunk's position (normally intelligent, not so much while drunk).

Short holiday, planned for a very long time.  You realize that your friends death means:

(1) you will spend the rest of your holiday sitting in police stations or elsewhere doing "interviews",

OR,

(2) your friend is dead anyway, not much you can do to help him now, so enjoy (most) of your holiday before you return to answer the inevitable million questions.

Bets on that is exactly what they will say, when eventually found.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It sounds sus to me. 

I'm a ex alcoholic and to drink yourself to death is a pretty hard to do.  

Friends running away and the key stone cops arrive. More like a drug overdose or a drug deal gone wrong.  Lots of red flags here. But maybe the cops came up with this conclusion as it was lunch time at domino's in pat pong 

23 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

He got what he asked for. 

As a responsible husband and father to spend a night out with alc and prostitutes..... 

Well, his family deserve better.

Stupid guy. Paid his price. 

Rip. 

No one asks to die.

8 hours ago, ukrules said:

Bruises can last for weeks, it's possible that he was already bruised when he arrived...

Also, if you get really drunk you can get what I call 'mystery injuries' - bruises which appear and you have no idea where they came from. Normally from falling over, while 'black out drunk', etc.

I have nerve damage in my legs, and have a near constant run of bruises, bumps, small cuts, etc., because of numbness.
I imagine this fellow was pretty numb all over, if the reports are correct.
RIP.

3 hours ago, mikosan said:

Well, as it stands at the moment, it seems highly plausible that his death was caused by excessive drinking.  Let's wait for the toxicology report and the result of the post mortem.  I wouldn't be surprised if he vomited in his sleep, inhaled the vomit and died as a consequence.  It'll all come out in the wash, hopefully, but at this stage there is simply no point in blaming shoddy investigation by the MiB.  Too many ThiaVisa posters have wildly speculative imaginations and opinions.

Bizarre.

Poor boundaries.

Total confabulation-I would be generous if I thought you were an expat-and they  are extremely bizarre.

The fact is that until we have an autopsy-and the published results-we do not know how this man died.

This man left behind him a family,does he not?

3 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

You are wrong!

If you drink voluntarily too much you are always facing death. 

Nobody forces you to drink. 

No one forces members to make ridiculous OTT comments but hey ho. 

Im sure  his children are agreeing with you right now. 

34 minutes ago, Jonathan Swift said:

So the cops are definitely wrong in this case? You were there? And if the toxicology report comes out confirming alcohol or other overdose, what then? It's easy to make incorrect assumptions before all facts are known, so assuming foul play right off the bat would be just as much a mistake as any other premature conclusion. You know there was security camera footage, right? Or did your eyes sail right by that detail? 

dont waste you time JS, too many $%%$'s and know it all armchair detectives on this site, they are a drain to your energy. 

4 hours ago, Tweedle dee said:

Not wanting to create another issue here but if this is a problem for your good self then choose another country to live or visit. TD 

stellar contribution to the conversation

did I say I had a problem living here

Most of the adults on here understand the value of being aware and sharing - I personally still regard Thailand as 3rd world in many ways

19 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

No one forces members to make ridiculous OTT comments but hey ho. 

Im sure  his children are agreeing with you right now. 

Well said..

By the way I met the opinionated mongers and the veterans of Thailand..

The sad fact was that after a 10 minute conversation my rueful conclusion was that they were two hinges short of a dunny  door.

6 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Well said..

By the way I met the opinionated mongers and the veterans of Thailand..

The sad fact was that after a 10 minute conversation my rueful conclusion was that they were two hinges short of a dunny  door.

I try to avoid most at all costs for the very same reason. 

27 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Chap looks fit in the selfie.

Doubt he could drink himself to death, that takes years, and you don't look that fit shortly before your death.

Going on the piss straight after an airplane ride that dehydrates you plus other risks (blood cloths and the like) can result in dead especially if a lot of alcohol is consumed. I think there is a high chance that this was not foul play but just health problems caused by a combination of alcohol and maybe drugs and an plane ride and no rest. 

We will see but the only thing that could put an end to the speculation is a medical examination of his body. My guess (as good as yours or anyone's) is not foul play. 

10 hours ago, madmen said:

Arriving jet lagged and then hitting the bars hard untill you can no longer even stand = possible alcohol poisoning /death

Had a friend who suicided by drinking himself to death. It took a lot do the trick. Drinking yourself to death is not as easy as you might think. Usual actual cause of death is drowning in your own vomit. This can only be varified by autopsy.????

9 hours ago, ukrules said:

Bruises can last for weeks, it's possible that he was already bruised when he arrived...

Also, if you get really drunk you can get what I call 'mystery injuries' - bruises which appear and you have no idea where they came from. Normally from falling over, while 'black out drunk', etc.

Like a mate of mine who fell out the back of a baht bus in Patts many years ago. Woke up the next afternoon and had no idea why he was so stiff, sore and bruised.

How many times we see drunk,, Verry drunk people from the UK passed out in bars or on the streets.  Its common in here, and when drunk they get in to a fight with the bar owner  or people on the streets or so. i'm not surprised to read this, i see it all the time.

Just arrived, 12 hour or longer flight and the minute the arrive go out drinking, to much..

After a flight you have to take it easy and give your self a rest for a day.

2 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Had a friend who suicided by drinking himself to death. It took a lot do the trick. Drinking yourself to death is not as easy as you might think. Usual actual cause of death is drowning in your own vomit. This can only be varified by autopsy.????

A simple blood alcohol concentration test (BAC test) like they do for drunk drivers can determine if there's a fatal level of alcohol in someones blood.

This is going to be the reason why the police suspect this as the cause.

Once it's over a certain level it can be deemed fatal.

See here : https://mcwell.nd.edu/your-well-being/physical-well-being/alcohol/blood-alcohol-concentration/

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Chap looks fit in the selfie.

Doubt he could drink himself to death, that takes years, and you don't look that fit shortly before your death.

Drinking himself to death is the wrong description by whoever wrote the article.

It's likely he died of alcohol poisoning which happens when you drink too much alcohol too quickly.

What most people know of as 'drinking yourself to death' is more likely to be long term liver problems eventually leading to organ failure, this is a very different thing.

If he had choked on his own vomit then this would be very obvious when he was found.

Archived