Three years on Thai hero has severe back pain after helping Norwegian tourists in Krabi

webfact

Three years on Thai hero has severe back pain after helping Norwegian tourists in Krabi

1pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Daily News reported that it was three years since Thai hero Chat Ubonjinda had rescued an elderly Norwegian couple from riverside mud in Krabi.

Chat, now 47, became famous both nationally and internationally after allowing the couple to clamber over him when they got in trouble in the mud near a dam while out bird watching. 

That was three years ago on December 16 and the former fisherman's life has changed dramatically since then. 

After the public adulation of gifts and recognition died down - he received honors from the Royal Family and the Prime Minister - Chat was left to pick up the pieces. 

news_ZGZEkrzwhx130530_533.jpg

Picture: Daily News

From day one he suffered back pain and this has got worse and worse despite medical treatment and medication. 

A black spot on his spinal column is likely a direct result from the day he helped save the tourists.

He has had to quit his job as a fisherman and can no longer carry heavy loads. He is restricted to odd jobs just to get 200 to 300 baht a day. 

He said his family are desperate these days. The doctors tell him the pain is muscle related but have not been able to help him recover. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-12-18

I feel so sorry for him - 

does the Norwegian couple know? Or their government?

Might be a good idea for someone to inform them.

Maybe somebody can send this OP to the Norwegian embassy? Norwegians! Please! Honors alone do not feed his family.

Another way: Gofundme with an honest person to manage that the money goes to the right place, best by monthly instalments

Sorry for the guy,having had a spinal injury myself,i constantly have to remind myself not to lift heavy things and do certain things around the house,which is very frustrating,i have several metal plates and screws basically holding my neck together,when i do certain things it can ache for days after,so feel sorry for this chap

7 hours ago, sweatalot said:

Maybe somebody can send this OP to the Norwegian embassy? Norwegians! Please! Honors alone do not feed his family.

Another way: Gofundme with an honest person to manage that the money goes to the right place, best by monthly instalments

Hes a Thai citizen and it happened on Thai soil, really down to the Thai health and welfare system to assist him

41 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Hes a Thai citizen and it happened on Thai soil, really down to the Thai health and welfare system to assist him

Everybody knows to expect from the Thai health and welfare system

Btw. The injury happened because he helped Norwegians.

They could have gotten out themselves if they knew the trick:

Trie to lie flat on your back as much as possible, while doing this, you will be able to wristle your legs out. When you lie flat, you don't sink any further.

Once your legs are out, you can crawl to the side.

If you stand up, you sink because all the weight is on a small pressure point

13 hours ago, webfact said:

A black spot on his spinal column

is this a metaphor they use? Or a real black spot on the x-rays or scan?

If so i guess it's more like bonecancer. I new somebody who had also a black spot on his thigh bone and he did have emergency surgery to remove that part of the bone.

Whish him the best and a very fast recovery so he can enjoy life again.

14 hours ago, baansgr said:

He was a Thai national helping out a Norwegian national on Thai soil who was in trouble !!

Yes the Thai system should've could've helped him more, but often history shows Thai compassion doesn't go as deep as the pocket!!

Norwegians could chip-in a little something !

On 12/18/2018 at 5:18 AM, sweatalot said:

I will try to find a way to let the couple know ???? 

On 12/18/2018 at 12:16 PM, marko kok prong said:

Sorry for the guy,having had a spinal injury myself,i constantly have to remind myself not to lift heavy things and do certain things around the house,which is very frustrating,i have several metal plates and screws basically holding my neck together,when i do certain things it can ache for days after,so feel sorry for this chap

Same here. I've struggled with back pain for years. I am lucky to be retired. I sympathize with this man.

On 12/18/2018 at 4:44 PM, thaichiro said:

Would be happy to take care of him for free. 094-9499-614. Dr Chase

Thats great news , his name is Chat Ubonjinda .  Unfortunately I do not know his facebook address or other contact information . 

As a Norwegian myself who suffered with back pain, I really hope someone can help him. 

Archived