Happy New Year smokers! Cheapest Thai cigarettes will be 80 baht a pack from January

webfact

Happy New Year smokers! Cheapest Thai cigarettes will be 80 baht a pack from January

smo.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Daily News reported that from January the cost of the cheapest cigarettes on the market would be no lower than 80 baht per pack of twenty. 

The announcement came on the Government Gazette website on Monday. 

Many brands of cigarette cost much more than this in Thailand. 

The cost of packs containing less or more cigarettes will be pro-rata. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-12-18

I was just talking to afriend a day ago about New Year is coming and I was wondering what new sin tax they will come up with. Still 2 weeks left and they can add beer and alcohol to the Happy New Year rise of prices. Nothing like paying more for crap beer. 

Shows how disengaged from reality these news bits are. As pointed out, Playoff and Camel are now 60 baht. One might hope reporter with slightest bit of sense might ask "Is this true?". Nope, easier (and safer?) to just regurgitate government BS.

25 minutes ago, Emdog said:

Shows how disengaged from reality these news bits are. As pointed out, Playoff and Camel are now 60 baht. One might hope reporter with slightest bit of sense might ask "Is this true?". Nope, easier (and safer?) to just regurgitate government BS.

I think maybe you're misunderstanding the article - the price is going to rise so that the cheapest available cigarettes are 80 baht. The "Happy New Year" bit is sarcasm.

4 hours ago, whatwasithinking said:

The cheapest packet in Australia would set you back easily 500 baht but more likely closer to 750 baht so Thailand has a long way to go lol

When Thailand has free health care and an hourly minimum wage of 400 baht maybe they'll be able to charge Australian prices. Not much of a comparison lol

3 hours ago, Emdog said:

Perhaps you need to re-examine your version of reality, as the article states this will be the case from JANUARY. The price of a given brand NOW in December does not invalidate the writer.
Come back in a month. ????

3 hours ago, Emdog said:

Shows how disengaged from reality these news bits are. As pointed out, Playoff and Camel are now 60 baht. One might hope reporter with slightest bit of sense might ask "Is this true?". Nope, easier (and safer?) to just regurgitate government BS

They are all going up to 80. Was that not clear? 

7 hours ago, whatwasithinking said:

The cheapest packet in Australia would set you back easily 500 baht but more likely closer to 750 baht so Thailand has a long way to go lol

I was thinking the same with regard to the price in the US.
Much more than that before I gave them up eight years ago, by which time I was mostly rolling my own.

7 hours ago, madmen said:

Just the beginning.

Yes, I agree. Prices going nuts for many things.  Petrol cycles from 125 to 165 a litre and back in weeks in Oz. why? Because it can. A plastic bag still can be got for 15 cents. So now you get to pollute but you pay for it. Before it was free to pollute.

If the smokers were smart they would band together and refuse to pay the 30% increase. Unless of course their salaries are increased accordingly. But I get that ciggies have got most by the nuts.

Speaking of nuts. Almonds, expensive too. Lower the profit margin and sell more i say.

Archived