Happy New Year smokers! Cheapest Thai cigarettes will be 80 baht a pack from January

webfact

5 hours ago, BTB1977 said:

They should make them 580 baht.

Is there a reason why you want to make Thailand like your home country?

If so, why don't you just live there (at home)?

People COME to Thailand to live here for the benefits which we don't have at home, like CHEAP food, drink, smokes, rent, etc.

Just because you don't do it, you would like the rest of us to suffer?

If you quit drinking, your views will be the same?  Increase the price of alcohol so it is untouchable?

Wake up bro. 

8 hours ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

When Thailand has free health care and an hourly minimum wage of 400 baht maybe they'll be able to charge Australian prices. Not much of a comparison lol

If a country's reason is to make as many smokers stop and fight against cancer they can do easely all over the world.

At least Thailand is not to hypocritical to do that.

Because if so they would have many more issues on their hands (like pollution by cars, industry, those many forrest and garbage fires,...) before they can even start here.

In my country they just raise the tobacco a few cents and then say: that will teach them.

I have no idea about Australia and their pollicy and actions for a better health but those raised prices, for me it means they mean serious business in the fight against cancer.

The original article is pretty much gobbledygook on google translate but from what I can gather it's a minimum price with no proportionate increase on more expensive brands. So presumably it will work like a regressive tax, with a proportion of the increase going to the government; and the consumer of cheaper brands, in effect, paying more tax, as well as more to the tobacco company. Or am I missing something? I'm not that au fait with how tax is levied on cigarettes.

80 baht a pack.....Thats over 2 dollars a pack....Thats getting very expensive.....If a Thai is making 300 baht a day thats one third their income at a pack a day.....

Thai children will go hungry because papa had to spent all his money on cigarettes....

22 hours ago, lust said:

It’s mind-boggling how people still continue to suck back these cancer sticks voluntarily. 

Agreed, but I give older folks a pass because they were raised on it and it’s a tough habit to kick. Most of them smoked before they knew just how bad it is. Kudos to any of you who have quit.

But younger people, with all the data out there showing how horrible and hazardous it is for your health and the people around you, and you STILL start smoking... sorry, but you’re a absolute loser. Nothing says “I’m low class” like smoking. 

15 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

Is there a reason why you want to make Thailand like your home country?

If so, why don't you just live there (at home)?

People COME to Thailand to live here for the benefits which we don't have at home, like CHEAP food, drink, smokes, rent, etc.

That’s fine. Sit inside your tiny box rented condo with stained yellow walls and smoke up. That’s your space, do what you want in it. Live it up and enjoy the good cheap life.

But when you have to be around other human beings who are forced to breath in your toxic fumes, that is not ok. And if you think it is, then you won’t be opposed to me spraying you in the face with pepper spray when you light up next to me. Toxic fumes can go both ways. 

16 hours ago, stud858 said:

Yes, I agree. Prices going nuts for many things.  Petrol cycles from 125 to 165 a litre and back in weeks in Oz. why? Because it can. A plastic bag still can be got for 15 cents. So now you get to pollute but you pay for it. Before it was free to pollute.

If the smokers were smart they would band together and refuse to pay the 30% increase. Unless of course their salaries are increased accordingly. But I get that ciggies have got most by the nuts.

Speaking of nuts. Almonds, expensive too. Lower the profit margin and sell more i say.

You are wrong Petrol prices are coming down I paid 119 yesterday in Perth the most expensive city for petrol

21 hours ago, Bill Miller said:

Perhaps you need to re-examine your version of reality, as the article states this will be the case from JANUARY. The price of a given brand NOW in December does not invalidate the writer.
Come back in a month. ????

Ah, I guess I missed the sarcasm in the headline. If you read it as "news", then a happy new year, like a happy ending, one might think would be a good thing for smokers.

Happy New Year smokers! Cheapest Thai cigarettes will be 80 baht a pack from January

I don't smoke and hate smoking, but the point is how ridiculous price increases happen in Thailand.

60 -> 80 THB is over 30% increase in one go. Those earning 300 THB a day can now buy a pack off crap cigs and one bottle of crap beer and have half the wage gone.

I wonder when they double the price of wine again?

Archived