Elderly Belgian urges motorist who hit her to come forward

snoop1130

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Rod the Sod said:

Complete bolloc*s. If that was the case, you would never go more than 3 mph in case a stray dog, sheep or whatever careers out in front of you. Read the Highway Code, or equivalent. The circumstances only become apparent when the incident happens - you cannot predict it!!!! Just drive according to the Code (not that that happens in LOS)

Wow... really?

so you don’t slow down when when nearing a village market area, expecting someone to “unexpectedly” pull out on a scooter?

or increase / decrease speed such that your not caught beside a poorly (lol) loaded truck?

or adjust for weather conditions

or.. well... ???? drive to the code, not the road... wow... ok

I’m assuming you have a license, although I’m hoping it’s expired, never to be replaced, because this attitude is what causes incidents.

maybe the right of it is to drive to the road conditions, whilst obeying the code, which sets maximums, whilst generally ignoring minimums.

8 minutes ago, farcanell said:

so you don’t slow down when when nearing a village market area, expecting someone to “unexpectedly” pull out on a scooter?

I do all of those things, but that ain't gonna stop me hitting someone (who appears from the photo) to be stepping under my car at the moment I'm passing.

20Kph to 0kph in 2m isn't physically possible. (B-b-but it came from nowhere!)

lady.jpg

Sort of on Topic. I was told this many times by Locals . Yeh, we run if we can. If you hit say a MoCy, Drunk even if its completely in the wrong you end up getting blamed by Police  and Family out for Money. Hours at Police Station when they know its not your fault. So we scoot if we can. Heard the same story so many tines, i believe it.

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I do all of those things, but that ain't gonna stop me hitting someone (who appears from the photo) from stepping under my car at the moment I'm passing.

20Kph to 0kph in 2m isn't physically possible.

Well done... that’s exactly what’s needed... drive to the road conditions.... which is exactly what I said (in responding to a poster saying the opposite), was it not?

im not claiming that this will eliminate incidents... but I will opine that it will reduce the rate and severity of incidents (opine because I can’t be bothered producing studies that prove this)

Obviously blind, cars don't materialize out of thin air. The driver should have stuck around but she should not have crossed the road when it was not clear. I hope she has a speedy recovery and lesson learned. 

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

An elderly Belgian woman who was injured in a hit and run in Chiang Mai has urged the motorist who injured her to come forward and apologise.

I think that "Pissing up a rope" is the correct phrase here.

I hope she recovers, and karma catches-up with the scumbag driver for not stopping.

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

She stepped into a busy road at night with cars all over and the car driver is 'scum'?

(Photo shows her in the middle of the road with cars coming in both directions)

We elderly do sometimes do such silly things.

The car should have stopped, but often they don't. That doesn't mean it was the car drivers fault.

I agree. A person should exercise extreme care crossing the road in Thailand. Doesn't matter who was at fault if you're dead as a result of not being adequately cautious. No apology going to fix that.

i.e., You're not in Kansas anymore.

Should play the Thai Culture card publicly. 

'Please, be Thai, be loving and caring, be good, with a heart of pure gold and responsibility'.

That or 'I think I owe you some money for the damage my leg did to your car. Please make contact so I can give it to you.'

1 hour ago, farcanell said:

Wow... really?

or increase / decrease speed such that your not caught beside a poorly (lol) loaded truck?

or adjust for weather conditions

or.. well... ???? drive to the code, not the road... wow... ok

I’m assuming you have a license, although I’m hoping it’s expired, never to be replaced, because this attitude is what causes incidents.

maybe the right of it is to drive to the road conditions, whilst obeying the code, which sets maximums, whilst generally ignoring minimums.

I guess in thailand you just got to have your wits about you at all times especially at certain potential accidental areas such market areas, schools,  T-junctions,...with one foot on the brake pedal in case.... and both eyes on the road in front of and behind you. 

37 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

I hope you recover soon. but if you are expecting a Thai to say sorry then dont hold your breath

I assume she is a long stay resident of Thailand and thus should be aware of the dangers of public safety on the road. Being elderly does not automatically warrant you special treatment from the others. Expecting the driver to come forward and apologize ... only when pigs fly. Especially after the driver had done a runner. 

3 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

But Khon Thai considers laws and rules to be bent or flatly ignored. It‘s all about education and standards! 

Both of which exist in abundance in Thailand.

But a very different sort of education and standards from the much reviled "Nanny States" of the West.

Thai laws are made (and examples set) by people who thoroughly endorse the differences.

Thailand not a good place to be if you want the best of both worlds.

Be prepared to finance global commuting if you do.

sorry love , cars dont come from no where, and why do you think they run away, nothing to do with fear of being beaten up, its about the money, last week that poor guy run over by the 18 wheeler, driver did a runner,  HELLO , the firm know who he is, its just an inbuilt gut reaction thing, they all do it,

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Sorry if I'm not entirely sympathetic to old folks throwing themselves in front of me while I'm driving along the road minding my own business. I'll do my best to avoid them (along with all the other 'surprise' obstacles on Thai roads), but sometimes they're gonna be hit.

Can't help feeling a person this age shouldn't be out on their own at night on a busy road.

"It came from nowhere" when they were clearly in the middle of a busy road, is an indication of her mental competence (or lack of).

If I'd been the driver, I'd probably have stopped (not medically trained, I'm not sure how I could have helped), but I can understand those who wouldn't have stopped.

And ill do my best to avoid you . 

20 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

when a car came from nowhere and hit

The car could be parked somewhere close by and took off out of spot without paying attention to the road. 

Happens everyday, professional drivers behind wheels and what they know about driving a car is how to push harder the accelerator only. And hardly can locate the break pedal (including some farang).

If police could catch the driver, he will apologize quickly, because that’s the way he can get away with what he has done wrong.  

7 hours ago, EL159 said:

I know this lady very well. She is elderly but very fit, walks and bicycles everywhere.

Do you know why she chooses to settle down in Thailand ?  She is a tourist or live here many years? 

3 hours ago, mercman24 said:

sorry love , cars dont come from no where, and why do you think they run away, nothing to do with fear of being beaten up, its about the money, last week that poor guy run over by the 18 wheeler, driver did a runner,  HELLO , the firm know who he is, its just an inbuilt gut reaction thing, they all do it,

I think if the driver knew he/she is not in the wrong during an accident, there is little inclination for him/her to stop. There won’t be any monetary compensation from the driver... he/she is also not asking for any as he/she had already bolted. 

12 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Sorry if I'm not entirely sympathetic to old folks throwing themselves in front of me while I'm driving along the road minding my own business. I'll do my best to avoid them (along with all the other 'surprise' obstacles on Thai roads), but sometimes they're gonna be hit.

Can't help feeling a person this age shouldn't be out on their own at night on a busy road. 

"It came from nowhere" when they were clearly in the middle of a busy road, is an indication of her mental competence (or lack of).

If I'd been the driver, I'd probably have stopped (not medically trained, I'm not sure how I could have helped), but I can understand those who wouldn't have stopped.

Yes old people -and all the others- should stay at home to give room for "minding my own super important business". Wish you a super good brexit.

16 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'll answer your post in ten years when I reach 78..............yes, I'll still have my wits about me then, and pbly still posting on TVF............cheers

Archived